!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/23/2016 12:17 pm  #1

Eldritch Tales: Lovecraftian White Box Role-Playing

Hello everyone! I'd like to announce an upcoming project that might be of interest to a few readers here! The game is currently in playtesting and is on track to release in 2017!

ELDRITCH TALES: Lovecraftian White Box Role-Playing is a new, old-school game that builds on the mechanics of Swords and Wizardry WhiteBox and other original edition RPGs. In Eldritch Tales, players will investigate the oddities of Mythos Earth, learn arcane secrets, and experience sanity-blasting terror!

http://ravengodgames.blogspot.com/2016/10/eldritch-tales-lovecraftian-white-box.html?m=1

Last edited by joseph (11/02/2016 7:43 am)

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

10/23/2016 4:05 pm  #2

Re: Eldritch Tales: Lovecraftian White Box Role-Playing

Sounds interesting, Joseph. I loved the original S&W White Box. Count me in!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

10/23/2016 5:21 pm  #3

Very intriguing! Keep us posted!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

10/23/2016 7:08 pm  #4

How will you release it, Joseph? Kickstarter? PoD?

10/24/2016 3:17 am  #5

Colour me interested!
How is it different from Silent Legions and Black Books? (The two other properly published Lovecraftian investigative OSR titles I know of) Is it mostly the rules chassis or are there significant gameplay differences as well? Or is it mostly the assumed setting?

Edit: Remembered there's Black Books as well.

Last edited by Ynas Midgard (10/24/2016 3:19 am)

10/24/2016 8:01 am  #6

Thanks for the interest guys.
I currently plan to fund this on my own, without Kickstarter. I am currently speaking with a few artists and have an idea of what my art budget will be. Still need an editor and am considering having someone other than me do layout. That's extremely time consuming. End product will be PDF and POD, though I may order a stock of print copies for myself, cons and such.

I got into a brief discussion on comparisons to Silent Legions on G+ yesterday and here was my answer: "I can't compare ET to Silent Legions, as I have no experience with that game. However, I can say the Eldritch Tales will put a game on the table that is designed to run adventures set in any era, that is meant to work with other White Box games seamlessly, and that will include rules that can be hacked out and used in other OSR games.

Additionally, I plan to support it in a number of ways - era books, for playing in a variety of time periods, and adventures, to start. More importantly I will produce a compatibility license that will allow third-party publishers to create their own material.

I'm not sure how that stacks up against Silent Legions or other Mythos-type games, but I hope it sparks your interest and that of others in the community. Cheers!"

From that discussion it sounds like the games will be relatively similar, but there will certainly be some differences in mechanics. I also have no experience with Black Books... I totally missed that one. I'll have to grab it and have a look.

10/25/2016 12:27 am  #7

Happy to learn more, Joseph! :D

Allan.

11/02/2016 7:44 am  #8

New blog post offering descriptions of the four core classes in Eldritch Tales: Lovecraftian White Box Role-Playing!

http://ravengodgames.blogspot.com/

11/02/2016 9:25 am  #9

Will check this out!

11/23/2016 6:47 am  #10

11/23/2016 10:55 am  #11

Thanks, Joseph. I'm keeping an eye on this!

11/23/2016 4:29 pm  #12

Yeah, this is an exciting development!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

11/23/2016 4:33 pm  #13

Thanks, amigos!

1/26/2017 4:26 pm  #14

A quick update on ET and announcing a new adventure module for S&W!

http://ravengodgames.blogspot.com/2017/01/update-and-announcement.html

3/06/2017 1:28 pm  #15

A discussion of Skills and Attributes in Eldritch Tales!

http://ravengodgames.blogspot.com/2017/03/eldritch-tales-attributes-and-skills.html

3/14/2017 9:09 am  #16

A new blog post is up! I discuss the magic system in use in Eldritch Tales. Happy to hear thoughts!

https://ravengodgames.blogspot.com/2017/03/magic-and-spellcasting-in-eldritch-tales.html

8/21/2018 1:19 pm  #17

Hello Everyone, 

Wow, it has been quite some time since I posted here! However during the intervening time, work on this game continued and now, Raven God Games is proud to announce that, after more than two years of development, Eldritch Tales: Lovecraftian White Box Role-Playing has released yesterday, the birthday of Howard Phillips Lovecraft himself. Eldritch Tales brings Mythos horror to the OSR and OSR gaming into the 1920s!

From the product description:

"Aeons before man arose from the primordial mire, ancient creatures descended from the stars or stepped through dimensional passages to inhabit the Earth. Whilst many of these Old Ones have since passed into inactivity, the secrets they carried with them have been shared with man and now terrible cults haunt the fringes of modern society. These ancient terrors thus still menace mankind and, if the prophecies are to be believed, the Old Ones shall return to reign again over the Earth!

Eldritch Tales: Lovecraftian White Box Role-Playing in an OSR rule set with its roots in the Original version of the world's favorite RPG, but instead of exploring musty dungeons, characters in Eldritch Tales investigate Mythos horrors in the 1920s! The setting and background are based on the cosmic horror tales of Howard Phillips Lovecraft and other members of his writing circle. 

Within the pages of Eldritch Tales you will find four character classes representing many classic pulp archetypes, occupations, rules for insanity, spells, monsters, esoteric tomes, artifacts, and setting material, as well as advice on using Eldritch Tales with other White Box games. This game is compatible with Swords & Wizardry White Box and other OSR games."

Available now in PDF format on RPGNow!
 https://www.rpgnow.com/product/250356/Eldritch-Tales-Lovecraftian-White-Box-RolePlaying?src=hottest

Please note that Print on Demand versions (black & white softcover, color softcover, and color hardcover) will be available soon!

8/21/2018 2:17 pm  #18

Cool! Congrats, man!

8/21/2018 2:20 pm  #19

Thanks Chainsaw!

8/22/2018 6:21 am  #20

Def gonna pick this up when a book option is available. I'm old and prefer books...

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.