!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/06/2016 12:16 pm  #301

Re: Introduction Thread

Zudrak wrote:

My approach to the ASSH game is a little different in that, sadly, I did not read much of the source material that feeds the milieu. Only in recent years have I purchased a compilation of HP Lovecraft's works, for example. I watched the Conan movies but did not own any REH works until I bought the Complete Conan tome at about the same time as the HPL book. I have yet to read that one beyond a cursory glance.

I had read REH before ASSH but like you was introduced to reading HPL and CA Smith both of which play heavily in the milieu of the game. 

Zudrak wrote:

I have played some form of Tabletop RPG from 1980-1990 and since 2000. It started in 3rd grade with a classmate running OD&D (or maybe it was Holmes BD&D, I never saw her books). She had a classmate roll up a PC and told me I could do the same at recess the next day. Sure enough, I rolled 3d6 in order and "Thor" the fighter was born. Later, a cousin DM helped me append a surname (so as to differentiate him from the Norse god) and as "Thor Guth" was he then known. My parents bought us the new Moldvay Basic set in 1981 for my brother and I. I have pretty much been a DM ever since.

Started much the same way in '76 with OD&D in middle school introduced by a classmate.  Never looked back. In 2012 the KS for ASSH re-invigorated my desire to play and run, returning to my OSR roots.

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

9/08/2016 8:53 pm  #302

Welcome all who have checked in recently. May your camels go down after the first punch!

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

10/16/2016 5:23 pm  #303

My name is Luke. I started gaming when my cool mom bought me the Moldvay Basic Set. Like a lot of people here I'm a huge fan of REH, CAS, and HPL. I've played a lot of different RPG systems but Savage Worlds and Dungeon World are my favorites. The last couple games I ran were Hyborian Age and Pulp Lovecraft campaigns using the Savage Worlds system. 

I stumbled across AS&SH a few weeks ago. My mind was blown and I've been obsessed ever since. Finally a D&D setting that incorporates my favorite fantasy influences! Even better, I can easily port and reskin my favorite adventures both classic (Tomb of Horrors, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks) and new (Barrowmaze, Rappan Athuk) into Hyperborea. 

I picked up every AS&SH adventure and I'm looking forward to the Kickstarter. I'm hoping to pick up ideas and inspiration on the boards. I'm interesting in trying out a play by post hame and am also interested in meeting other gamers in Orange County, CA.

10/16/2016 6:12 pm  #304

Brock Savage wrote:

My name is Luke. I started gaming when my cool mom bought me the Moldvay Basic Set. Like a lot of people here I'm a huge fan of REH, CAS, and HPL. I've played a lot of different RPG systems but Savage Worlds and Dungeon World are my favorites. The last couple games I ran were Hyborian Age and Pulp Lovecraft campaigns using the Savage Worlds system. 

I stumbled across AS&SH a few weeks ago. My mind was blown and I've been obsessed ever since. Finally a D&D setting that incorporates my favorite fantasy influences! Even better, I can easily port and reskin my favorite adventures both classic (Tomb of Horrors, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks) and new (Barrowmaze, Rappan Athuk) into Hyperborea. 

I picked up every AS&SH adventure and I'm looking forward to the Kickstarter. I'm hoping to pick up ideas and inspiration on the boards. I'm interesting in trying out a play by post hame and am also interested in meeting other gamers in Orange County, CA.

Welcome Luke!  Glad to see you found ASSH and then found your way here!

Morgan

While in my soul forever

10/16/2016 7:06 pm  #305

Brock Savage wrote:

Welcome! I started gaming when my cool grandma bought me the black box basic set (15th print, 1991). I'd seen it advertised in my Marvel comics and had to have it! 

Brock Savage wrote:

Preaching to the choir, my friend. I've used old TSR modules, new OSR modules and Jeff's Hyperborea modules. I pledged the new Barrowmaze and Operation Unfathomable dungeons too - looking forward to both! There's enough room in Hyperborea for many dungeons. One of my favorite parts of the setting is how he's created lots of inspirational places, but hasn't over-developed them.

Brock Savage wrote:

Please let us know if you have any questions, man. The site's filled with folks who have played the modules at conventions and run them and others in their own home campaigns. We'd be happy to give you any ideas. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

10/17/2016 8:42 pm  #306

Hi,  I've been gaming since 1981.  Got out of the hobby in the 90s, when my group dwindled to nothing,  came back with 3rd edition D&D, bounced around a dozen gaming systems before returning to my roots and 1st edition.  I stumbled across ASSH and just about fell in love.  I'm currently looking through the pdf and brainstorming for campaign ideas.  I'll probably ask a million rules questions.  Can't wait to start a game!

10/17/2016 9:16 pm  #307

Welcome aboard, Brock and JRR! Looking forward to hearing more about your respective campaigns.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/19/2016 2:35 am  #308

Chainsaw wrote:

Welcome! I started gaming when my cool grandma bought me the black box basic set (15th print, 1991). I'd seen it advertised in my Marvel comics and had to have it! Please let us know if you have any questions, man. The site's filled with folks who have played the modules at conventions and run them and others in their own home campaigns. We'd be happy to give you any ideas.

Ghul wrote:

Welcome aboard, Brock and JRR! Looking forward to hearing more about your respective campaigns.

I registered on this board because the community looked like a bunch of cool dudes sharing ideas about the best D&D setting I've ever seen. Thanks for the warm welcome. 

10/19/2016 3:50 pm  #309

I registered to ask a rules question, but I bought ASSH because it stands out from all the retro clones.  Most OSR games are just a method for preserving rulesets and using them as a springboard to publish settings and supplements without crossing into copyright infringement.  Osric and Swords and Wizardry are awesome, but for an old fart like me, I'd rather play the original.  ASSH is its own game outright while sticking close enough to 1E to scratch an itch.  Looking forward to running a game, and selfishly, I hope to turn my group on to it, so that I can actually PLAY it.  So, if my evil plan succeeds, the good folks at North Wind Adventures will get 4 or 5 sales out of it. 

10/19/2016 6:59 pm  #310

JRR wrote:

Hi,  I've been gaming since 1981.  Got out of the hobby in the 90s, when my group dwindled to nothing,  came back with 3rd edition D&D, bounced around a dozen gaming systems before returning to my roots and 1st edition.  I stumbled across ASSH and just about fell in love.  I'm currently looking through the pdf and brainstorming for campaign ideas.  I'll probably ask a million rules questions.  Can't wait to start a game!

Welcome JRR! The hobby got away from me in the late 90s, when I went to college. I tried to re-enter with 3E and then again with 4E, but really clicked for me. I found OD&D and 1E a few years later and really enjoyed them. When Jeff published AS&SH, the aestheric and setting really spoke to me and the rules felt familiar. Been very happy with it!

JRR wrote:

I registered to ask a rules question, but I bought ASSH because it stands out from all the retro clones.  Most OSR games are just a method for preserving rulesets and using them as a springboard to publish settings and supplements without crossing into copyright infringement.  Osric and Swords and Wizardry are awesome, but for an old fart like me, I'd rather play the original.  ASSH is its own game outright while sticking close enough to 1E to scratch an itch.  Looking forward to running a game, and selfishly, I hope to turn my group on to it, so that I can actually PLAY it.  So, if my evil plan succeeds, the good folks at North Wind Adventures will get 4 or 5 sales out of it. 

Agreed on all counts! Good luck with starting a game.

1/01/2017 12:33 pm  #311

Hello,
I got started with RPG's in 1981 at age 10 with the Moldvay D&D Basic box set.  From there I was hooked on table-top RPG's through my early twenties almost exclusively being a DM/GM of various things - D&D, AD&D(up to 2nd Ed), Gamma World, Star Frontiers, Champions, Battletech/Mechwarrior, TMNT to name the most prevalent.  

Real life commitments and moving to another state took me away from playing for a long while.  In the last decade I've been really wanting to get back in to play and the OSR "revival" helped a lot with things to read about on the Internet.  I even got a few sessions in with co-workers running OSRIC in the last few years but it didn't last.
In the last few years I got on a mission to read a lot of the "classics" of fantasy and science fiction.  This has led me recently to a lot of Robert E Howard, Clark Ashton Smith and H.P. Lovecraft reading.  When I saw a blog post about the AS&SH 2nd Edition kickstarter I was intrigued and bought the original edition in PDF to get a full idea of what it was about.  I liked what I read a lot, even enough to fund a copy from the kickstarter and so here I am.

Now to round up a group to really play it!!

1/01/2017 1:25 pm  #312

Welcome Ironwolf and happy New Year!
Methinks you are now among likeminded individuals. I really like AS&SH but haven't been able to play yet. Might be able to find a game on Roll20 or www.unseenservant.us I'll have to check.
But welcome to the board!!
--Ron--

"No interruptions! I am El Jefe!"
[url=www.unseenservant.us]Unseen Servant[/url] for all your PbP needs.

1/01/2017 9:07 pm  #313

Hi, Ironwolf, and thanks for joining us! Sounds like you have a lot of the same literary influences, which is always a good start for establishing the kind of mood that Hyperborea is intended to invoke. Happy New Year!

Cheers,
Jeff T.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

1/02/2017 7:21 am  #314

Welcome Ironwolf! Glad you found your way here and hope your campaign begins sometime soon. Make sure to share the fun in our Campaign Journal forum. 

1/02/2017 11:10 am  #315

Ironwolf wrote:

Hello,
I got started with RPG's in 1981 at age 10 with the Moldvay D&D Basic box set.  From there I was hooked on table-top RPG's through my early twenties almost exclusively being a DM/GM of various things - D&D, AD&D(up to 2nd Ed), Gamma World, Star Frontiers, Champions, Battletech/Mechwarrior, TMNT to name the most prevalent.  

Real life commitments and moving to another state took me away from playing for a long while.  In the last decade I've been really wanting to get back in to play and the OSR "revival" helped a lot with things to read about on the Internet.  I even got a few sessions in with co-workers running OSRIC in the last few years but it didn't last.
In the last few years I got on a mission to read a lot of the "classics" of fantasy and science fiction.  This has led me recently to a lot of Robert E Howard, Clark Ashton Smith and H.P. Lovecraft reading.  When I saw a blog post about the AS&SH 2nd Edition kickstarter I was intrigued and bought the original edition in PDF to get a full idea of what it was about.  I liked what I read a lot, even enough to fund a copy from the kickstarter and so here I am.

Now to round up a group to really play it!!

Welcome aboard Ironwolf!  I too played some champions back in the day!  Still would be if the prep time wasn't such a drag. Reading the game piqued my interest in CA Smith and HPL.  I'm rather new to these authors but have read quite a bit of REH back in the day.

While in my soul forever

4/03/2017 1:50 pm  #316

Sorry, late to the party! 
My name is Keith and, while primarily interested in AD&D, I thoroughly enjoy AS&SH and have played it numerous times.  I'm considering writing an adventure for the system for use in con games, likely Garycon and North Texas next year. 

4/03/2017 1:59 pm  #317

Welleran wrote:

My name is Keith and, while primarily interested in AD&D, I thoroughly enjoy AS&SH and have played it numerous times.  I'm considering writing an adventure for the system for use in con games, likely Garycon and North Texas next year. 

Welcome aboard! I think most faces around here will be familiar. 

4/04/2017 10:56 pm  #318

Welleran wrote:

Count me in if you run it at Gary Con! I'm actually considering running my Black Orc Down game with AS&SH at Gary Con next year.

Last edited by Ar'Pharazon (4/04/2017 11:06 pm)

4/04/2017 11:16 pm  #319

I suppose I should introduce myself as well! 
I'm Michael. We came across AS&SH at Gary Con V and I've been playing in ChrisJ's on and off again campaign since we discovered it. I straight up love the system. Well, mancrushing on it is more like it but I suppose I should really keep that to myself.. 
Anyways, some on this board should recognize me from playing with me at Gary Con over the years. 

4/05/2017 7:05 am  #320

Welcome aboard, Michael! We have a pretty nice, relaxed group of folks here, so you should be right at home.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.