!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/10/2016 2:49 pm  #81

Re: Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea 2nd Edition

k2h2m3 wrote:

Will the map be a kickstarter exclusive or will it be available after the campaign?

It will be made available after, but likely in a limited capacity.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/10/2016 2:56 pm  #82

Daisey Bingham is the feature colorist for Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea. Her creative vision has been applied to the art of Val Semeiks, Del Teigeler, and of course her husband, the talented Johnathan Bingham. Here we see Daisey bringing her unique vision to an amazing illustration submitted by none other than Val Semeiks. This piece will serve as the chapter divider (or "frontispiece") for AS&SH Vol. II: Sorcery. Here we see the picture in full colour, but actually printing it in colour (as well as the other five frontispieces) will be one of the early stretch goals of the forthcoming Kickstarter campaign, set to launch on October 21.

10/10/2016 3:05 pm  #83

Daisey always does a great job, man. Glad she's involved once again. 

And Val's not too shabby either!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

10/12/2016 10:20 am  #84

Johnathan Bingham was the first artist I contacted to add new illustrations to the interior of Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea 2nd Edition. After seeing how he excelled as the primary interior artist for the adventure modules, Beneath the Comet, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess, and Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes, it was an easy decision! In fact, this is partly why John did not contribute illustrations for The Mystery at Port Greely. He was already hard at work, up to his armpits in the development of a series of full page illustrations for our forthcoming Kickstarter campaign, set to launch on October 21.  

This is John's rendition of the witch, a subclass of the magician. Her eyes are what really grabbed me -- her whole face, really. John has great vision and imagination, and he brings something new, unique, and valuable to each picture he draws. And what a pleasure to work with. I hope you all enjoy this one as much as I do!  

Cheers,
Jeff T.

10/14/2016 9:19 am  #85

Russ Nicholson is a man whose art I have admired since I was a teenager in the 80s. I remember staring at his art in the Fiend Folio for hours on end. Such a strange and unique style. I took a shot, contacting Russ to see if he might be interested in producing some art for the second edition of AS&SH, and I was delighted to find him agreeable. So far Russ has turned in 17 illustrations. Here is one of my favorites. I hope you like it!

AS&SH 2E Kickstarter Launches on October 21!

10/14/2016 11:23 am  #86

Nice!  I love the art in the Fiend Folio, even if some of the monsters are a little silly.  The illustrations of the mephits are among my favorites.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/15/2016 3:48 am  #87

That's really great news! I've enjoyed Russ Nicholson's stuff from the early days of White Dwarf and the FF.  Very striking style which will fit the AS&SH vibe nicely.

10/15/2016 6:35 am  #88

Charles Lang is the cover artist for the second edition of Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea. As a follow-up to his painting that was featured on the original boxed set of AS&SH, this new painting takes our hero (and his cast of companions) into some bold action and adventure in the hoary wilderness of Hyperborea, illumed by the light of a bloated red sun.

Our Kickstarter campaign goes live this Friday, October 21!

10/15/2016 6:37 am  #89

Astonishing! I want to explore that castle! 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

10/15/2016 10:59 am  #90

Fantastic art!  And it's great to see a party of adventurers rather than a "lone hero".

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/15/2016 11:03 am  #91

That castle reminds me of another, A homage, perhaps?

10/15/2016 11:52 am  #92

k2h2m3 wrote:

That castle reminds me of another, A homage, perhaps?

Chuck is not a gamer, so anything he comes up with is out of his appreciation for sword and sorcery and weird fantasy.

10/15/2016 9:49 pm  #93

Wow. Looking great! 5 days and counting!!

10/16/2016 12:15 am  #94

Wonderful cover. It's perfect. I will Kickstart asap.

10/16/2016 3:29 am  #95

Nice...I think I like the new cover art over the old one. 

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

10/16/2016 7:14 am  #96

Del Teigeler did an amazing job illustrating the RUNEGRAVER for the forthcoming second edition of AS&SH. Want to play a character like Egill Skallagrímsson, straight out of The Sagas? The runegraver, a subclass of the cleric, is described as "a mystic warrior who carves rune spells on bone, metal, stone, and wood". The runegraver possesses many interesting abilities, such as the "ale rune", turning water to a healing ale; "casting lots" which allows the runegraver to make predictions; and "nithing pole" which allows the rungraver to create a special device that lays a curse. 

AS&SH 2E Kickstarter to Launch this Friday, October 21!

10/16/2016 7:16 pm  #97

That nifty canvas map has me thinking of trying to put together something like it for my own campaign world. Do you notes anywhere on how you crafted it together??

That Runegraver is awewome. 

10/16/2016 7:37 pm  #98

Hmm, just thought of a question about 2nd edition. Are you going to have margin indicators on the page edges? I find that such is critical for making a text easy to reference.

10/17/2016 5:04 am  #99

soundchaser wrote:

That nifty canvas map has me thinking of trying to put together something like it for my own campaign world. Do you notes anywhere on how you crafted it together??

That Runegraver is awewome. 

Glad you like it! It is probably important to design a map like that to actual size; meaning, if you plan to print a map on canvas that is 11 x 17 inches, I would suggest that you not blow it up too much, because you can start to lose quality -- unless it is 600 dpi high resolution in a lossless file format. After that, there are canvas printers probably in  every city!

10/17/2016 5:06 am  #100

A new HYPERBOREA T-shirt is one of the add-on options that will be available when we launch the AS&SH 2E Kickstarter this Friday, October 21. This grey shirt will feature the art of Val Semeiks and the colours of Daisey Bingham. Here is a mock-up design of the shirt:

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.