!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/30/2016 11:05 pm  #1

Cataphract: start with a mount?

BTB, it looks like the Cataphract doesn't start with a mount (like the Cavalier does, in AD&D). Correct, or did I miss it, somewhere?

8/31/2016 8:29 am  #2

Re: Cataphract: start with a mount?

Sounds like a great add!  It definitely makes sense.  It may not be the best mount in the world but a standard horse would be appropriate.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

8/31/2016 10:13 am  #3

I think it would depend.  A "cataphract" can be someone who trained and normally served in a mercenary capacity, rather than a "knight-errant" type.  In that case he might not own his own horse at 1st level, since his employer would normally have provided it.  I would probably make the PC save his gold and actually buy a horse.  I'm like that.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (8/31/2016 10:15 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/31/2016 1:15 pm  #4

Blackadder23 wrote:

I think it would depend.  A "cataphract" can be someone who trained and normally served in a mercenary capacity, rather than a "knight-errant" type.  In that case he might not own his own horse at 1st level, since his employer would normally have provided it.  I would probably make the PC save his gold and actually buy a horse.  I'm like that.

I can confirm that this was the design intent. Even a mere riding horse represents three-fourths of the typical PC's starting gold. No freebies in Hyperborea!

8/31/2016 2:15 pm  #5

OK, cool. That's what I intended to do with the cataphract PC, in any case, but I was wondering if that was, indeed, the BTB rule.  The cataphract PC in question served a minor duke around Brigands Bay, and had to flee that area for "undisclosed reasons."  I'm basically going to say he had to ride his (stolen?) mount to death when he fled, and has escaped to Khromarium with little gear, near penniless and looking to better his situation. 

Last edited by Philotomy (8/31/2016 2:16 pm)

8/31/2016 2:29 pm  #6

Philotomy wrote:

I'm basically going to say he had to ride his (stolen?) mount to death when he fled, and has escaped to Khromarium with little gear, near penniless and looking to better his situation. 

That's the spirit!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/31/2016 4:10 pm  #7

Philotomy wrote:

OK, cool. That's what I intended to do with the cataphract PC, in any case, but I was wondering if that was, indeed, the BTB rule.  The cataphract PC in question served a minor duke around Brigands Bay, and had to flee that area for "undisclosed reasons."  I'm basically going to say he had to ride his (stolen?) mount to death when he fled, and has escaped to Khromarium with little gear, near penniless and looking to better his situation. 

Hahaha! Nice!

While in my soul forever

9/29/2016 9:08 am  #8

Oh, yes. You earn your horse. And then the next several horses. Horses do not have a high survival rate in my game. It's like kids' goldfish. My players are starting to learn some valuable lessons about mortality and cleaning the filter, though.

9/29/2016 10:01 am  #9

Handy Haversack wrote:

Oh, yes. You earn your horse. And then the next several horses. Horses do not have a high survival rate in my game. It's like kids' goldfish. My players are starting to learn some valuable lessons about mortality and cleaning the filter, though.

What? Tethering the horse a mile away form the dungeon, just inside the wood line . . . what's the worst that could happen?

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

9/29/2016 10:43 am  #10

You'll note that I created a magic item that deals with just this specific circumstance.

Created but never gave out. Why should *I* do all the work?!

9/29/2016 11:20 am  #11

Handy Haversack wrote:

You'll note that I created a magic item that deals with just this specific circumstance.

Word on the street is that Handy Haversack is the stingiest referee on the planet. ;) 

9/29/2016 11:34 am  #12

Ghul wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

Word on the street is that Handy Haversack is the stingiest referee on the planet. ;) 

BigPerm's taken to calling you Monty now that's he's read all of Port Greeley.

9/29/2016 11:39 am  #13

Zonked!

While in my soul forever

9/29/2016 6:14 pm  #14

Handy Haversack wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

You have your players so brainwashed, they read an adventure with a few +1 daggers and a potion or two, and they think it's the Monty Haul Extravaganza!

9/29/2016 7:01 pm  #15

Ghul wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

Ghul wrote:

You have your players so brainwashed, they read an adventure with a few +1 daggers and a potion or two, and they think it's the Monty Haul Extravaganza!

Their PCs merely survive Handy's game and they think it's the MHE, heh!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

9/30/2016 11:38 pm  #16

Listen, here's the thing. When the revolution comes, who you going to want on your side? Players. *hungry* players. Actions have consequences, my fellow DMs. *Consequences.*

Also, seriously, +1 daggers? OK, *Monty*.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.