!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2016 10:05 am  #21

Re: Latest gaming purchase?

I am eagerly awaiting my physical copy of The Black Hack.  It was recently Kickstarted and the material is in the mail.  It is a really nicely done condensation of OD&D written in 17 pages.  It addresses most of my issues with OD&D quite nicely.

I also await my physical copy of the updated Classic Fantasy supplement.  It was originally done for  BRP.  New update is done for RQ6/Mythras (Mythras being the new name since Chaosium has reclaimed the Runequest license) and released by The Design Mechanism.

5/04/2016 10:36 am  #22

mabon5127 wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

rhialto wrote:

I've actually run more CT than xD&D in the last few years, and my advice is "less is more": since you have the FFE CD's (as do I: they're beyond awesome) take a look at the 1977 version of CT, unless you're wedded to the Third Imperium. And take a gander at Tales to Astound: he's got some great analysis of the significant differences from 1977 to 1981 in his "Traveller Out of the Box" posts.

I have LBBs 0-4. Does one need more than that?

Hahahaha!  Need....

Ha. Right.

I always figured books 0-3 were all one would need to run a Firefly game. Seems like the perfect candidate if you just replace interstellar jumps with in-system engine burns.

ThornPlutonius wrote:

I am eagerly awaiting my physical copy of The Black Hack.

Me, too! Stupid big ocean in the way.

5/04/2016 11:35 am  #23

rhialto wrote:

I've actually run more CT than xD&D in the last few years, and my advice is "less is more": since you have the FFE CD's (as do I: they're beyond awesome) take a look at the 1977 version of CT, unless you're wedded to the Third Imperium. And take a gander at Tales to Astound: he's got some great analysis of the significant differences from 1977 to 1981 in his "Traveller Out of the Box" posts.

I appreciate the advice!  I do like the Third Imperium setting, but it's a moot point anyway.  Traveller is third in line (behind the AS&SH and AD&D campaigns I'm currently also not running), so I would say the chances of me ever actually running CT are pretty close to zero.  It's pure collecting for the sake of collecting.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/04/2016 11:37 am  #24

Blackadder23 wrote:

rhialto wrote:

I appreciate the advice!  I do like the Third Imperium setting, but it's a moot point anyway.  Traveller is third in line (behind the AS&SH and AD&D campaigns I'm currently also not running), so I would say the chances of me ever actually running CT are pretty close to zero.  It's pure collecting for the sake of collecting.

No shame! It's all grist for the DM brain mill!

5/04/2016 9:24 pm  #25

Ha ha well that's true.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/05/2016 9:54 am  #26

Most recent stuff for me were used but complete copies of Panzer Leader and Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, both by Avalon Hill.  Found them at Half-Price Books for $10 each.

Other than that, I picked up yet another set of Gamescience dice, in opaque Black.  With that, I'm officially done buying old GS dice, as I own enough for 10 of us.

Last edited by francisca (5/05/2016 9:55 am)

5/06/2016 6:37 pm  #27

francisca wrote:

Most recent stuff for me were used but complete copies of Panzer Leader and Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, both by Avalon Hill.  Found them at Half-Price Books for $10 each.

Cool!  Congrats!

5/10/2016 10:55 am  #28

Handy Haversack wrote:

I always figured books 0-3 were all one would need to run a Firefly game. Seems like the perfect candidate if you just replace interstellar jumps with in-system engine burns.

I'd say of the books beyond the the first three Supplement 4 Citizens of the Imperium could also be useful for a Firefly type campaign with the additional non-military character types.

5/10/2016 4:20 pm  #29

lige wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

I'd say of the books beyond the the first three Supplement 4 Citizens of the Imperium could also be useful for a Firefly type campaign with the additional non-military character types.

Fair point: I have a spare copy, too. I'd also recommend Supplement 2: Animal Encounters, but it's not essential.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

5/11/2016 7:31 am  #30

rhialto wrote:

lige wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

Fair point: I have a spare copy, too. I'd also recommend Supplement 2: Animal Encounters, but it's not essential.

Cool! Now, if you could just please make each weekend about three times as long, I think I can start running campaigns out of this stuff!

5/22/2016 5:03 pm  #31

My recent purchases have just been more minis, and I've backed a new KS or two, but nothing of major interest.  I've been actively trying to cut back on games buying (well, other than minis ;) ), since I've got plenty of stuff and don't really need more....

9/06/2016 5:36 pm  #32

I love boards like this one. They help shape my wish lists.

My own last purchase was AS&SH and some Reaper Bones minis from Noble Knight. My last actual purchase was for my wife: dice at the FLGS.

Psalm 73:26 | "Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books." -- E. Gary Gygax
"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.