!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/09/2016 1:57 am  #1

Gen Con (2016)

I'm planning on going to Gen Con this year and I'm going to run a session of Hyperborea.  It will be my scenario The Floating Monks of Malapesh and it's been scheduled for 2:00 pm on Friday August 5th.

Anyone else planning on going this year?

6/09/2016 6:36 am  #2

Re: Gen Con (2016)

lige wrote:

I'm planning on going to Gen Con this year and I'm going to run a session of Hyperborea.  It will be my scenario The Floating Monks of Malapesh and it's been scheduled for 2:00 pm on Friday August 5th.

Cool man! I have always wanted to go, but it won't be this year, so I'm jealous.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

6/09/2016 6:37 am  #3

Nope, I'm done with gencon. Last year was the first year I missed since it moved to Indy in 2003, and I doubt I'll ever return. It was a lot of fun when it was around 20K people, now it's just too damn big.  IMO, tabletop gaming is in decline at that show, and everything else in geek culture is on the rise.  As I'm not into Cosplay, etc... the amount of hassle for hotel , plus the cost (even though I am 90 minutes away) vs. the amount of fun I have has really tanked. 

EDIT: actually, I'm sitting on $55 in credit in my account.  I guess I might pickup the family fun badge and take the kids down on sunday this year, but only because it's lost money, otherwise.

Last edited by francisca (6/09/2016 6:39 am)

6/09/2016 7:10 am  #4

Lige: cool, man! Have a great time. I've never been, and I think my con-travel budget will keep me to GaryCon only, but this one sounds crazy. Overwhelming crazy, maybe.

That said, still spots left in one of these sessions:
https://www.gencon.com/event_finder/Host/Satyr%20Press?opt[]=ta&opt[]=hh&ag[]=un&ag[]=eo&ag[]=tn&ag[]=ma&ag[]=tw&exp[]=no&exp[]=so&exp[]=ep

I guess it's 5 ed., but the dungeon is aces!

I love Floating Monks. Proof you can have an excellent time while being under DM control for an entire sessions!

6/09/2016 10:02 am  #5

lige wrote:

I'm planning on going to Gen Con this year and I'm going to run a session of Hyperborea. It will be my scenario The Floating Monks of Malapesh and it's been scheduled for 2:00 pm on Friday August 5th.

Is this off grid or in the official schedule? 

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

6/09/2016 10:45 am  #6

mabon5127 wrote:

lige wrote:

I'm planning on going to Gen Con this year and I'm going to run a session of Hyperborea. It will be my scenario The Floating Monks of Malapesh and it's been scheduled for 2:00 pm on Friday August 5th.

https://www.gencon.com/events/96913

Looks like the only Hyperborean event on the sched.!

6/09/2016 11:35 am  #7

Handy Haversack wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

lige wrote:

Handy thanks for the link.  I'm so lazy.... Anyway I'm in for two tickets!!

Morgan

While in my soul forever

6/09/2016 11:43 am  #8

francisca wrote:

Nope, I'm done with gencon. Last year was the first year I missed since it moved to Indy in 2003, and I doubt I'll ever return. It was a lot of fun when it was around 20K people, now it's just too damn big.  IMO, tabletop gaming is in decline at that show, and everything else in geek culture is on the rise.  As I'm not into Cosplay, etc... the amount of hassle for hotel , plus the cost (even though I am 90 minutes away) vs. the amount of fun I have has really tanked. 

EDIT: actually, I'm sitting on $55 in credit in my account.  I guess I might pickup the family fun badge and take the kids down on sunday this year, but only because it's lost money, otherwise.

I very much enjoy the show as do my two daughters that join me.  That being said the gaming piece is hit or miss. There is a pretty high incidence of no-show GM's.  I use the time to demo games I would otherwise never get to play.  I like the indie movies, some of the seminars, the art show and new products, etc.  The gaming is usually ok but I don't set a high bar.

Morgan

While in my soul forever

6/10/2016 5:26 am  #9

Thank you for representing, Lige! I'm considering 2017, but I have to see how things shake out in the coming months. Enjoy!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/10/2016 7:42 am  #10

mabon5127 wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

Handy thanks for the link.  I'm so lazy.... Anyway I'm in for two tickets!!

Morgan

Nice! Lige is an excellent DM.

8/10/2016 2:18 pm  #11

I ran my game at Gen Con!  All six players showed up and were engaged and seemed to have a good time (even the two guys who were thinking it was going to be pathfinder when they showed up to play!).  Morgan it was nice to have you and one of your players in the game.  Third time I've run this one - got to see the players interact with some new areas and a classic Hyperborea monster and I got to deal with a lot of things set in motion (sometimes literally!) including the party being inadvertently split into three parts at one point.

8/10/2016 2:22 pm  #12

lige wrote:

I ran my game at Gen Con!  All six players showed up and were engaged and seemed to have a good time (even the two guys who were thinking it was going to be pathfinder when they showed up to play!).  Morgan it was nice to have you and one of your players in the game.  Third time I've run this one - got to see the players interact with some new areas and a classic Hyperborea monster and I got to deal with a lot of things set in motion (sometimes literally!) including the party being inadvertently split into three parts at one point.

I was pretty happy to ascend to god hood! At least that's my story!  Brian the newbie gamer I brought with me had a great time as well. He plays in my home game.

While in my soul forever

8/11/2016 7:30 pm  #13

Glad your games went well and that you had fun! I'm super jealous. I'll make it to GenCon someday, I hope. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.