!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2016 12:07 pm  #281

Re: Introduction Thread

Hello all! Wish I had heard about this game when it came out! I've really been missing out. I helped kickstart The Mystery at Port Greely and am already setting aside as much money as I can for the Second Edition. This game is just great can't get enough of it! We wants more precious!

4/05/2016 12:15 pm  #282

Krath wrote:

Hello all! Wish I had heard about this game when it came out! I've really been missing out. I helped kickstart The Mystery at Port Greely and am already setting aside as much money as I can for the Second Edition. This game is just great can't get enough of it! We wants more precious!

Welcome Krath!  We gave a great bunch of folks here to answer questions an generally obsess over ASSH!  The Mystery at Port Greely looks outstanding, can't wait to get my hands on it!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/05/2016 1:55 pm  #283

mabon5127 wrote:

Krath wrote:

Welcome Krath! We gave a great bunch of folks here to answer questions an generally obsess over ASSH! The Mystery at Port Greely looks outstanding, can't wait to get my hands on it!

Thanks for the welcome. I'm defiantly obsessed with ASSH!

4/05/2016 2:31 pm  #284

Krath wrote:

Obsession just means you care enough to slay the very best. Welcome to the boards!

4/06/2016 12:18 am  #285

Handy Haversack wrote:

Krath wrote:

Obsession just means you care enough to slay the very best. Welcome to the boards!

This is true. Slaying is caring! Thanks for the welcome!

4/06/2016 9:00 am  #286

Krath wrote:

Welcome aboard! I think the second edition will be awesome as well. I really can't wait to see it come together.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

5/16/2016 9:49 am  #287

Welcome Krath! Glad to have another convert!

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

7/16/2016 8:35 pm  #288

Greetings!

I started gaming in '87 with the D&D Red Box, but soon switched to AD&D, just before TSR switched to Second Edition.  Talk about bad timing.

I have no idea how long I've had my AS&SH box, but it's been long enough to back the last two Kickstarters and look forward to second edition and the extra stuff it entails.

Well, that's me.  Thanks for having me!

Intricate Entity: Formless faceless and free

7/16/2016 8:41 pm  #289

Welcome aboard 1970!  I await the new hardback edition as well as do a couple of my players!

Morgan

While in my soul forever

7/16/2016 9:10 pm  #290

Welcome, 1970! Thanks for joining us here! 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

7/17/2016 9:32 am  #291

Welcome, 1970!

1970 wrote:

I started gaming in '87 with the D&D Red Box, but soon switched to AD&D

Cool, man. I took a similar path, but started around 1990 or so.

1970 wrote:

I have no idea how long I've had my AS&SH box, but it's been long enough to back the last two Kickstarters and look forward to second edition and the extra stuff it entails.

Me too! Should be good.

1970 wrote:

Well, that's me.  Thanks for having me!

Thanks for signing up!

7/17/2016 5:06 pm  #292

Recently signed up.  Many familiar names, here! 

7/17/2016 5:11 pm  #293

Philotomy wrote:

Hey man! Glad you signed up.

7/18/2016 9:26 am  #294

Welcome!

While in my soul forever

7/18/2016 1:45 pm  #295

1970 wrote:

I started gaming in '87 with the D&D Red Box, but soon switched to AD&D, just before TSR switched to Second Edition.

Well there's your problem.  Welcome to the forum!

Philotomy wrote:

Welcome!  Your website has been very inspirational to me.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (7/18/2016 1:46 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

7/19/2016 6:03 am  #296

Philotomy wrote:

Happy to have you aboard, PJ!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

8/04/2016 2:38 pm  #297

Hello All,

So I discovered AS&SH perusing the forums over at therpgsite, then frantically searched for a copy of the boxed set because I'm a total sucker for anything in a boxed set. Found a copy and languished without a group for a good while. Got a group going finally and we are playing a weekly game, starting off with rats in the walls and I expect we will sandbox it from there.

8/04/2016 7:03 pm  #298

Arkansan wrote:

Hello All,

Welcome aboard, Arkansan. We have a nice group here with a pretty good singal/noise ratio. I think you will find everyone welcoming and helpful.

Arkansan wrote:

So I discovered AS&SH perusing the forums over at therpgsite, then frantically searched for a copy of the boxed set because I'm a total sucker for anything in a boxed set. Found a copy and languished without a group for a good while.

Cool! I think I might have been one of the first people to receive the box set and I've really enjoyed it. I've taken the books with me to conventions and on work trips and vacations. My son's beat the heck out of them. They've held up pretty well!

Arkansan wrote:

Got a group going finally and we are playing a weekly game, starting off with rats in the walls and I expect we will sandbox it from there.

Sounds great. My next stop is your campaign thread.

8/05/2016 6:31 pm  #299

Welcome Arkansan, also interested to hear how your campaign goes. Sounds like a fun start..

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

9/06/2016 11:25 am  #300

Hail and well met!

My name is Michael Gross. I "met" Jeff on the Troll Lord Games boards and/or Dragonsfoot boards over 10 years ago. Like Jeff, I was selected to write for Gary Gygax's Castle Zagyg: Yggsburgh project -- namely the Rivergate sector of the Free Town, but had to withdraw due to an illness in the family.

I remained the team's cheerleader until Gary Gygax's passing and subsequent dissolution of the project. I have kept an eye on Jeff's work since, tracking down Fight On! and Knockspell magazines as money allowed and eventually purchased the AS&SH PDF years ago, not long after its post-Kickstarter release. I regret, Scalydemon, that I was not able to keep up with AFS magazine after procuring its debut issue. At long last, I was able to purchase a copy of the ASSH box itself. It arrived last week.

My approach to the ASSH game is a little different in that, sadly, I did not read much of the source material that feeds the milieu. Only in recent years have I purchased a compilation of HP Lovecraft's works, for example. I watched the Conan movies but did not own any REH works until I bought the Complete Conan tome at about the same time as the HPL book. I have yet to read that one beyond a cursory glance.

I have played some form of Tabletop RPG from 1980-1990 and since 2000. It started in 3rd grade with a classmate running OD&D (or maybe it was Holmes BD&D, I never saw her books). She had a classmate roll up a PC and told me I could do the same at recess the next day. Sure enough, I rolled 3d6 in order and "Thor" the fighter was born. Later, a cousin DM helped me append a surname (so as to differentiate him from the Norse god) and as "Thor Guth" was he then known. My parents bought us the new Moldvay Basic set in 1981 for my brother and I. I have pretty much been a DM ever since.

Anyway, I had been looking for a perfect RPG system and ASSH seems to be "it." Not as clumsy or bloated as the more modern games. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age. 

I do hope to connect the Hyperborea setting to my own Greyhawk campaign via "The Land of Black Ice" and auroras rumored to be sweeping away unsuspecting folk! I see some familiar screen names here and hope to join in when I can. For now, I am stocking up on popcorn and spare cash for the Kickstarter. 

Happy gaming,
Michael / Zudrak

Psalm 73:26 | "Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books." -- E. Gary Gygax
"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.