!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/02/2016 8:54 pm  #61

Re: Foolsgrave (development, spoilers)

Northeast corner...

Maybe I should have stuck to 9 sheet levels rather than attempt 16 sheets! This is getting silly.  :lol:

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

7/02/2016 10:00 pm  #62

Southwest corner

Everything so far...

7/02/2016 10:58 pm  #63

The immensity staggers the mind! Amazing work.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

7/02/2016 11:31 pm  #64

Ghul wrote:

The immensity staggers the mind! Amazing work.

Admittedly, this level has spiraled out of control! Should I ever need a level four, I'll return to a smaller format, no more than nine sheets. On the bright side, at least no one can possibly accuse this effort as not being genuinely mega!

7/03/2016 4:44 pm  #65

7/05/2016 11:23 am  #66

Upper west

Corner west

Almost done!

7/06/2016 8:45 pm  #67

Upper left

Upper right

Full level 3

7/07/2016 6:01 am  #68

This is a thing of beauty! 34 x 44 inches of mega-dungeon greatness. I don't know why, but I imagine the command center is the octagonal compound overlooking the river with the two appurtenant, projecting circles (center lower right). 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

7/07/2016 6:37 am  #69

Ghul wrote:

This is a thing of beauty! 34 x 44 inches of mega-dungeon greatness.

Thanks! This level kind of spiraled out of control and staying motivated became a challenge at times, but I'm not unhappy with end result. Lower levels will be smaller, trust me!

Ghul wrote:

I don't know why, but I imagine the command center is the octagonal compound overlooking the river with the two appurtenant, projecting circles (center lower right). 

It's definitely a "controlled area" that commands at least that part of the river and tunnels. With a level this large, I felt like I could place a stronghold/lair without the level accidentally morphing from megadungeon to lair, if that makes sense. If you look carefully, you can see a few fairly self-contained complexes here and there.

7/07/2016 7:45 am  #70

All three levels so far. Now time to start keying.

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

7/09/2016 10:11 am  #71

There's probably thirty years of gaming in this thing.

7/09/2016 10:23 am  #72

ThornPlutonius wrote:

There's probably thirty years of gaming in this thing.

That would be awesome! I've had a lot of discussion with folks at K&KA on how to key it effectively. My plan is to number all the rooms, come up with a dozen or two dozen detailed, "special" rooms for each level, key a big piece of the rest randomly with short, one-line descriptions and leave the remainder empty (maybe some dungeon dressing). Lots will go "undiscovered," but that is fine, because I'm not designing a module with story and a big bad guy to overcome. It's more of a huge play environment, almost like a big laser tag room or paintball field. Some of the one-liner and empty rooms will change over time as people explore. We'll see how it all goes! I would love to still be getting some use out of it in 30 years. 

3/22/2017 4:54 pm  #73

As I began keying Level 1, I ended up making a variety of small changes here and there, most of which are aimed at making more areas "discoverable" by only one or maybe two routes. I also replaced a couple of early configuration experiments that I didn't like as much six months later with "room clusters" that I can use as lairs more easily. You guys will probably have a hard time finding the changes, especially because the maps are too big to show good detail (e.g., some secret door "S" indicators aren't legible), but I figured I'd post an updated pic anyway, if only because I sometimes refer to these when I'm traveling and have a room idea and want to look for a good spot for it.

Old Level 1

New Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

3/22/2017 4:54 pm  #74

Finished keying all 301 rooms of Level 1. 

Most have very short entries, just a few words to remind me of what's there, ranging from "iron chest, fireball trap" to "shrine of Xathoqqua" to "three carnivorous ape-men feasting on an owl-man" to "gorgon's treasure" to "yellow moth nest" to "protective sanctuary of Apollo" to "graveyard, 24 unmarked, 50/50 chance ghoul or treasure" to "green slime pool trap" to "cursed frost giant throne" to "Thaumagorgan brazen bull" to "copper vipers" to "empty." Details to be improvised or rolled up as needed. I also annotated the map, writing one word reminders for each room. Excited to see what happens as I run it for the next four nights at Gary Con!

3/22/2017 4:57 pm  #75

Well done! See you soon!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/22/2017 5:03 pm  #76

mabon5127 wrote:

Well done! See you soon!

Can't wait!

3/24/2017 5:34 am  #77

Wow, this is an awesome and enormous project! Now to digitize it in GIMP! ;-)

3/24/2017 6:48 am  #78

Thanks man!

First game was Weds night from 930PM-midnight (then Thurs, Fri, Sat 8-12+), with nine people, including ligedog (and his buds Ernesto and Jeff), Cloak n' Dagger, Ancalagon, Josh and three of Handy Haversack's crew (Kevin, Ross and Emily). We had a great time! Moved pretty quickly despite group size. We had some exploration (room with a 12 foot tall iron automaton; soot-filled room with a trapped chest; room that looked like a safe campsite, but had a puzzling "Don't camp here" warning written on the wall; room with some wild boars eating zombies; room with a pentagram and some meat hooks hanging from ceiling - the group then hung the boars from the hooks, which magically created rubies when their blood dripped into the pentagram; several empty rooms), some battles (iron automaton, black robed guy with skull amulet, jeweled snail, wild boars, zombies) and two deaths (Jeff cleaved in two by an iron automaton; Ernesto incinerated by the trapped chest that exploded), treasure (gold, gems, skull amulet). Ross picked Ernesto's pocket as Ernesto was leaning over to open the trapped chest. Later, Ross also resorted to spanking the pigs. Lots of beer, laughs and fun!  :D

3/24/2017 7:41 am  #79

Chainsaw wrote:

Thanks man!

"Don't camp here"

"spanking the pigs. Lots of beer, laughs and fun! :D"

That is all I require at my gaming table. Nice work. Wish I were there to enjoy it with you all.

3/24/2017 8:30 am  #80

The more I go back and look through this whole thread, the more impressed I am by it. Great work with the dungeon dressing and maps. If I find some time, I may try and reproduce the maps in GIMP. If I do, I'll happily send you the files. Makes them more immortal and portable. I did this for a hand drawn map I made a few years ago and then took it to FedEx-Kinkos and had it printed. If I can find the file, I'll post it here.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.