!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2016 4:51 pm  #1

The Many Faces of Xathoqqua

I've posted an entry on my gameblog entitled The Many Faces of Xathoqqua which details the following several custom classes for the ACKS game rules. Folks here might not be interested in the rule details, but I'd like to share some background on the worship of Xathoqqua in my home campaign:

As befits a deity of Chaos, the worship of Xathoqqua is split into several sects, the principal of which is the Xathoqquan Orthodoxy. Focusing on the Old One as the chief among Hyperborean deities, Clerics of Xathoqqua spread the faith and root out heresy.

Some servitors venerate Xathoqqua for his mystical insights. To his Sorcerer-Priests, the Old One grants antemundane secrets from the outlying planets and realms extra-dimensional.

And there are others who recognize Xathoqqua in his aspect as the Frog God. Swamp Priests and Witches conduct strange ceremonies and croak obscene rites in the night under the light of Kyranos. (Considered heretical by the Orthodoxy.)

4/12/2016 5:20 am  #2

Re: The Many Faces of Xathoqqua

What I would also consider is how the various beasts of Hyperborea venerate the toad god, their strange connection to him. Good stuff!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/14/2016 10:42 pm  #3

I didn't really think of that... How do you handle beasts venerating Xathoqqua in your game?

6/22/2016 11:21 pm  #4

I added an alternate tradition as an option for those who acknowledge Xathoqqua’s strange influence on the beasts of Hyperborea:

https://mutantsmagic.wordpress.com/2016/06/20/alternate-xathoqquan-traditions/

(I should note that this applies to my custom "Astonishing ACKS" house rules, granting specific bonus spells to some of the Xathoqquan caster classes.)

Last edited by kslacker (6/22/2016 11:46 pm)

6/23/2016 8:16 am  #5

kslacker wrote:

I've posted an entry on my gameblog entitled The Many Faces of Xathoqqua which details the following several custom classes for the ACKS game rules. Folks here might not be interested in the rule details, but I'd like to share some background on the worship of Xathoqqua in my home campaign:

As befits a deity of Chaos, the worship of Xathoqqua is split into several sects, the principal of which is the Xathoqquan Orthodoxy. Focusing on the Old One as the chief among Hyperborean deities, Clerics of Xathoqqua spread the faith and root out heresy.

Some servitors venerate Xathoqqua for his mystical insights. To his Sorcerer-Priests, the Old One grants antemundane secrets from the outlying planets and realms extra-dimensional.

And there are others who recognize Xathoqqua in his aspect as the Frog God. Swamp Priests and Witches conduct strange ceremonies and croak obscene rites in the night under the light of Kyranos. (Considered heretical by the Orthodoxy.)

Neat Stuff!  I keep the worship and rituals a little more standard in the cities with anything goes in the wilds.  The only common theme being some of the high holiday dates and some version of the stylized sleepy-lidded eye of Xathoqqua for a symbol.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.