!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/05/2016 9:57 am  #1

The Strange Tale of Crystal Point (spoilers)

This thread will contain some comments and references to elements in my adventure, The Strange Tale of Crystal Point, that I ran at Gary Con VIII and NTRPG Con VIII, so if you think you might play it at a convention in the future or in some other format, don't read this thread.

So, I ran the adventure twice at NTRPG Con recently and thought it went really well both nights! Both groups kicked ass and WON, but did so by taking two completely different paths. Thanks to everyone for playing!

SPOILER ALERT

We had evil clerics and necromancers controlling undead drowned sailors for the party, sorcerers polymorphing into birds, psychedelic multi-colored lotuses, acid baths, out-of-water jellyfish, black goats breathing swarms of black flies into peoples' bodies (then trying to chew their way out), blown up ancient Atlantean machine terminals, thieves climbing up beside 300 foot waterfalls and backstabbing from the shadows, copper-colored men with lightning rifles, negotiations with water elementals who revealed secret backdoors, giant two-headed chameleons with eight-foot toxic tongues, berserking berserkers cutting down frankensteins, glowing blue crystals, winged fungoids wielding laser pistols and laser swords, imprisoned brains in vats, sorcerous yellow blobs and, my favorite, a disintegration of austinjimm's character. It was good! Lots of laughs.

My Friday afternoon game - counterclockwise from me: Stephen, Walter, Rustin, Scott, eightbits, Steve, austinjimm (Flambeaux with camera)

My Saturday night game - me in front of white board, then, counterclockwise: tetramorph, barnett, Jake and balrog62; not pictured: Welleran, Charlie, dm soda and cameraman Flambeaux

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

6/05/2016 10:24 am  #2

Re: The Strange Tale of Crystal Point (spoilers)

Reposting some comments after running the adventure at Gary Con VIII (March 2-6)

SPOILER ALERT

- Weds night pick-up game with Handy's crew: played from 10PM-2AM after a lot of drinking - what a blast! These maniacs are a riot. OF COURSE they went the ONE way I didn't really expect anyone to go, a talent from what I hear, heheh. Miraculously, I think this was the only party not to suffer any deaths! Still cannot believe it! Haha! Plus, they even managed to find a very significant item.

- Thurs noon game with Guy, Josh, gizmo, Alice T and Chris T - the most effective group, with a berzerker, scout, shaman, necromancer and cleric who used a good amount of stealth, spells and planning to defeat a giant mutated crab in the caves and score the biggest treasure haul of my four games. A late session decision to switch gears, go to the cliff top and break down a heavily barricaded door (because why not) got gizmo and Chris T disintegrated, but that just left more treasure for the rest, who then ran away, heheh. Maybe that was the survivors' plan???

- Friday night game with capitalbill, Kevin, Nik, Kenny, ligedog, WSmith and Del: we'll call these guys the wrecking crew, comprised of five fighting-men, a scout and a pyromancer. As they hammered their way through the cliffs, the pyromancer incinerated some undead and some otherworldly beings and the group's fighters took down several laser-wielding crab-men. Along the way, the berzerker's head was lasered off, the death lord was disintegrated, and capitalbill acquired the group's only treasure - a crab claw holding a laser. Yeah, that kind of game!

- Saturday afternoon game with JoeMac, Dave, EOTB, Winn and Rachel: this crew of a thief, scout, ranger, berzerker and shaman took some heavy hits early on the cliff top, almost succumbing to a black crystal goat guardian that breathed swarms of hungry flies and then, after noisily breaking down a heavily barricaded door, losing the shaman and berzerker to disintegration. The remaining three actually made it pretty far inside the complex (the only ones to do so), aided by stealth and a few laser pistols they recovered, before finally being overwhelmed. TPK!

Didn't get pics of every game, sadly, but got a couple:

- Thursday night game for Handy's crew after we got back from Popeye's. Yes, that's a big puddle of beer on the table. It's a miracle anyone lived!

- Friday afternoon game (from left, gizmomathboy, Guy Fullerton, Josh, Chris and his wife Alice)

6/05/2016 10:34 am  #3

The body count (X/Y survived) and treasure quality:

Gary Con VIII (March 2-6)
Weds night: 6/7 - good treasure
Thurs afternoon: 3/5 - great treasure
Fri night: 5/7 - no treasure
Sat afternoon: 0/5 - TPK

<I tweaked some encounters and some handouts after Gary Con>

NTRPG Con VIII (June 1-5)
Fri afternoon: 7/8 - great treasure
Sat night: 8/8 - great treasure

6/06/2016 7:10 am  #4

I've received numerous reports regarding how fun this adventure is. Chainsaw has worked and reworked it a lot the past year, and I look forward to reading the final manuscript whenever he sends it in. I have a feeling The Strange Tale of Crystal Point will one day be a valuable addition to the AS&SH adventure module lineup. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/06/2016 7:36 am  #5

Ghul wrote:

I've received numerous reports regarding how fun this adventure is. Chainsaw has worked and reworked it a lot the past year, and I look forward to reading the final manuscript whenever he sends it in. I have a feeling The Strange Tale of Crystal Point will one day be a valuable addition to the AS&SH adventure module lineup. 

Awesome - fingers crossed! 

6/06/2016 3:21 pm  #6

I for one look forward to buying this in the future.

What? Me worry?

6/06/2016 3:38 pm  #7

gizmomathboy wrote:

I for one look forward to buying this in the future.

Thanks man! That means a lot. 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.