!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/01/2016 6:30 am  #1

What board games are you playing?

What board games are you playing? If you have an old favorite or have come across something new, please share. I'm always in the market for another fun game.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

5/01/2016 8:25 am  #2

Re: What board games are you playing?

I just received my copy of the new Thunderbirds! boardgame from Modiphius.  It is great fun, a cooperative game where the players struggle to resolve the disasters that keep popping up around the world while thwarting The Hood's evil plans for world destruction.  F.A.B., man. F.A.B.

I backed the Kickstarter project, so I got my copy before they've hit the stores.  That should happen soon or you can (pre?)order it from Modiphius.

5/01/2016 10:14 am  #3

We just played Destination USA. A simple game but still fun.

What? Me worry?

5/02/2016 8:06 am  #4

Played Memoir '44 and Dead of Winter for the first time recently. Both highly recommended. We still fall back on Spartacus, Small World, and Fury of Dracula a lot. And Cosmic Encounter whenever possible--the best ever. Really want to get a Twilight Imperium game together again at some point.

5/02/2016 12:13 pm  #5

Handy Haversack wrote:

Played Memoir '44 and Dead of Winter for the first time recently. Both highly recommended. We still fall back on Spartacus, Small World, and Fury of Dracula a lot. And Cosmic Encounter whenever possible--the best ever. Really want to get a Twilight Imperium game together again at some point.

I also would recommend Dead of Winter.  Spyfall was fun as well.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/166384/spyfall

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

5/03/2016 9:58 am  #6

Has anyone tried Xia: Legends of a Drift System?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/82222/xia-legends-drift-system

5/03/2016 2:51 pm  #7

Most recently on Tabletop Simulator: Chez Geek, Tsuro, Tokaido, Bohnanza, and Machi Koro.
Most recently in person: Cosmic Encounter, Coup, Sheriff of Nottingham, Ca$h 'n Guns, Dead of Winter, Lords of Waterdeep, and Eldritch Horror.

My two personal favourites are Village and Kill the Overlord.

Last edited by Ynas Midgard (5/03/2016 2:52 pm)

5/22/2016 5:08 pm  #8

Played some Aliens with the boys a couple of weekends ago, and we've been hitting Pandemic again more recently (the boys discovered the Bioterrorist scenario from the On the Brink expansion!).  Others getting heavy rotation on Sunday night game nights include Sushi Go (a fun, fast card game), Quirkle, Dominion, and Guildhall.

Henry's also had me teaching him how to play checkers and chess, too.

6/10/2016 5:57 pm  #9

My weekly board game group just wrapped up Pandemic Legacy: Season 1. That was very amusing.

We've waded into the new Warhammer Quest, and while it has some interesting mechanics and subtleties, I believe it is lacking in character development which is pretty crucial in this genre (even for its father, AD&D). Even I'm left feeling unfulfilled especially since exploration is also stunted compared to older editions. I imagine an expansion may clear up most of these issues, but at the $150 price point, I can not recommend this game. Spend the money on eBay for older (Hero/Warhammer) Quest games.

Speaking of which, here's an excellent (and very beardy) recent review of ye olde HeroQuest on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnv3-4xjza4xO9y6_rqKNQA

Last edited by Josh (6/10/2016 5:58 pm)

6/10/2016 7:44 pm  #10

Thanks Josh, and welcome! I can't believe you're not already here. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

6/10/2016 11:28 pm  #11

Got a great Dominion-like game called Arctic Scavengers which is a little more aggressive that is very fun...but can't beat some 1e Descent when you have enough time.  Or also Catacombs is a blast, and as it turns out, can be a good way to sneakily get your work friends into dungeon delving

6/11/2016 2:31 pm  #12

Chainsaw wrote:

I can't believe you're not already here.

I remember being on one of Ghul's boards once at some point... but I've been traversing time and space recently, and things often get mixed up. So I made this account to keep things simple, and to obviate recalling ancient info. 

I thought A Study in Emerald first edition (based on the story of the same name by Neil Gaiman) was absolutely fantastic. I'm interested in trying the second edition out now. I have come to loathe deckbuilders, but this feature excellently supplements players' maneuvers across the board.

Speaking of Descent, I likewise recommend Imperial Assault! Similar game-play, with some mechanical tweaks of which I very much approve. Plus it's STAR WARS! Pew! Pewpewpewww! *snap* *hisssssss* vvvvvbbbmmmwohhh... but I'm wrestling with FFG recently enacting some price restrictions for online retailers, much like Games Workshop did with stores over a decade ago. I do not support it. But people may want to get some sets while the gettin's cheap.

I really should bring out Aliens (w/ the campaign rules) to play with the group. I believe I am quite remiss in not doing this sooner. Thank you, Grodog.

Last edited by Josh (6/13/2016 1:54 pm)

6/12/2016 3:21 pm  #13

Battleship and Mastermind are my go to for quickies!

6/14/2016 11:09 am  #14

Most recently played a few games of Commands & Colors Ancients, which was excellent and flows well once you have the turn sequence down. I friend also had us play Wrath of Ashardalon, which was fun... it's a tabletop miniatures exploration and skirmish game, exactly what 4e D&D was built for.

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

6/15/2016 6:39 am  #15

Josh wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

I remember being on one of Ghul's boards once at some point... but I've been traversing time and space recently, and things often get mixed up. So I made this account to keep things simple, and to obviate recalling ancient info. 

Happy to have you here, Josh! 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

6/15/2016 7:33 am  #16

Ghul wrote:

Josh wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Happy to have you here, Josh! 

What they said! Hi, Josh!

6/15/2016 10:40 pm  #17

Josh wrote:

I thought A Study in Emerald first edition (based on the story of the same name by Neil Gaiman) was absolutely fantastic. I'm interested in trying the second edition out now. I have come to loathe deckbuilders, but this feature excellently supplements players' maneuvers across the board.

I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on the two versions, Josh:  I've been chasing a copy of the KS for a few years now, but haven't been willing to pull the plug on buying it yet.  If you think the 2nd edition is as good as the 1st, then I'll check it out too.

Josh wrote:

I really should bring out Aliens (w/ the campaign rules) to play with the group. I believe I am quite remiss in not doing this sooner. Thank you, Grodog.

Always happy to help promote Aliens some more! :D

Allan.

6/22/2016 9:13 am  #18

Our go-to boardgames recently have been Zombiecide, Shadows of Brimstone , and Cthulhu Wars ... cannot speak highly enough about Cthulhu Wars, very pricey, but you definitely get what you pay for ... and you get lots of really awesome mini's for your Call of Cthulhu game.

6/22/2016 3:55 pm  #19

Played Munchkin with the kids for the first time last night.

They seemed to enjoy it.

What? Me worry?

6/22/2016 8:47 pm  #20

I wasn't impressed with Munchkin.

Allan.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.