!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2014 6:52 pm  #1

The Black Monolith - Venvig Bardsdottier

The morning air is crisp and the rising sun is warm. To the East the water laps gently against the stone beach. The rutted road runs to the North and in the other direction swings south along the water and heads toward the East and the rising sun. All around are fields looking to be starting their first grown of spring.

As Venvig sits on the grass by the remains of the large fire she hears a sound and her ears take her eyes to the north road. The sound of the slow but steady clip-clop of a horses whooves can be heard growing steadily louder but as of yet no sign of anyone approaching though the way North appears to stretch out into the distance.

3/28/2014 7:49 pm  #2

Re: The Black Monolith - Venvig Bardsdottier

Venvig takes to her feet and dusts the blades of grass of her thighs. She stretches to meet the sun, feeling its rays on her skin before she gathers up her belongings.

A slight feeling of trepidation enters her mind as she considers meeting a stranger in this place, but she shakes it off before she shoulders her bow and moves along the north road toward the sound of horses whooves.

Níu man ek heima, níu íviðjur,
mjötvið mæran fyr mold neðan.
(Völuspá)
(Nine worlds I knew,the nine in the tree with mighty roots beneath the mold)
Realmsofmelpomene

3/28/2014 8:10 pm  #3

Crisippo wrote:

Venvig takes to her feet and dusts the blades of grass of her thighs. She stretches to meet the sun, feeling its rays on her skin before she gathers up her belongings.

A slight feeling of trepidation enters her mind as she considers meeting a stranger in this place, but she shakes it off before she shoulders her bow and moves along the north road toward the sound of horses whooves.

At first there is just the sound of the whooves then the head of a bearded man above the road. This startling sight becomes shoulders and body, horses heads, a pair, a sitting man atop a wagon's bench rising from some dip in the land hidden by the trick of distance. Down the northern road comes that wagon, a pair of grey and white horses slow as they see Vernig approaching them and the wagon halts 20 or 30 feet away. 

3/29/2014 7:39 pm  #4

Venvig also comes to a halt. Looking closely at the man, she smiles before lifting an open hand in the air and says: "Greetings traveler" 

(Völuspá)
Realmsofmelpomene

3/29/2014 7:46 pm  #5

Crisippo wrote:

Venvig also comes to a halt. Looking closely at the man, she smiles before lifting an open hand in the air and says: "Greetings traveler" 

The horses whinny a bit and stir where they stand, but the man continues to sit still on the driver's bench.

3/30/2014 5:29 am  #6

Ok, Venvig will approach the horses carefully speaking softly to the in an attempt to calm them down. She keeps her eye on the man though and begins to looks around, fearing that this might be some trick and that someone is trying to ambush her.

(Völuspá)
Realmsofmelpomene

3/30/2014 7:49 am  #7

Crisippo wrote:

Ok, Venvig will approach the horses carefully speaking softly to the in an attempt to calm them down. She keeps her eye on the man though and begins to looks around, fearing that this might be some trick and that someone is trying to ambush her.

The horses are both quiet and easoly calm. They seem unafraid. While still strong and apparently well-cared-for, they are btoh older horses used pulling the wagon. 

Roll a d20

3/30/2014 8:31 am  #8

That is a 9...

(Völuspá)
Realmsofmelpomene

3/30/2014 9:45 am  #9

Crisippo wrote:

That is a 9...

The horses push against Venvig's shoulder, a sign that they are hungry or spoiled. Looking to the man she see's that he is old and his staring eyes have a glassy look. As she watches something moves at his lips and with a struggle first one then another fly escapes, then his jaw drops open and a cloud of large flies emerge to circle for a moment and head North. In a few moments the old man's body begin to shrink like a sail losing its wind till his flesh collapses in on itself leaving a pile of empty clothes dangling from the driver's bench. The horses seem unperturbed and continue to whicker and nudge Venvig for food or snacks.

3/30/2014 10:15 am  #10

Venvig is stunned by the horror of the old man's collapse, only the nudging of the horses brings her around after a few moments and she goes into her rations to give them some snacks while she calms them again. As they calm down she moves to investigate the old man's clothes.

(Not sure if i gave Venvig any rations when i made her, it might have slipped my mind as i was unsure about where the game would start. As she is travelling i felt that some rations or at least some food would be reasonable. You decide )

(Völuspá)
Realmsofmelpomene

3/30/2014 6:52 pm  #11

Crisippo wrote:

Venvig is stunned by the horror of the old man's collapse, only the nudging of the horses brings her around after a few moments and she goes into her rations to give them some snacks while she calms them again. As they calm down she moves to investigate the old man's clothes.

(Not sure if i gave Venvig any rations when i made her, it might have slipped my mind as i was unsure about where the game would start. As she is travelling i felt that some rations or at least some food would be reasonable. You decide )

(Okay, if they aren't there I will add a weeks rations)

The horses gladly accept the snack and devour it quickly. Up on the driver's bench there seems to be nothing but worn clothing.

Roll a d20

3/31/2014 2:56 am  #12

Got a 16

(Völuspá)
Realmsofmelpomene

3/31/2014 8:12 am  #13

Crisippo wrote:

Got a 16

The back of the wagon is filled with 8 very large barrels. From the driver's bench there is very little to be seen except for a hint of smoke in the sky to the south west and perhaps a faint smudge off to the east.

3/31/2014 2:42 pm  #14

Venvig goes to the back of the wagon and tries to pry open one of the barrels with her dagger.

(Völuspá)
Realmsofmelpomene

3/31/2014 4:51 pm  #15

Crisippo wrote:

Venvig goes to the back of the wagon and tries to pry open one of the barrels with her dagger.

The wagon is wide and solid and the barrels heavy but under the pressure of her dagger the first rocks slightly as if empty. A plug is in the side that was been shut with clay and the top as well sealing each shut. Venvig's dagger can easily shatter the clay if she wishes at top or ar side.

4/01/2014 4:27 am  #16

Alright, Venvig will quickly check the remaining barrels but will only open one that seems to have contents.

Meanwhile she ponders if she knows of any settlements further along the north road (in the direction the man was coming from). 

(Völuspá)
Realmsofmelpomene

4/01/2014 7:15 pm  #17

Crisippo wrote:

Alright, Venvig will quickly check the remaining barrels but will only open one that seems to have contents.

Meanwhile she ponders if she knows of any settlements further along the north road (in the direction the man was coming from). 

(Venvig doesn't recognize this land at all and has no idea how she got here.)

After examing each of the barrels all move when she puts any weight against them.

4/02/2014 4:36 am  #18

After examining the barrels Venivg moves back to the driver's bench and takes the reigns of the horses. She tries to turn the wagon around, having decided to take it back North.

If this man has kinfolk that he left this morning, she hopes to be able to inform them, return their wagon and maybe get some goodwill and information in return.

Last edited by Crisippo (4/02/2014 4:37 am)

(Völuspá)
Realmsofmelpomene

4/02/2014 10:51 am  #19

Crisippo wrote:

After examining the barrels Venivg moves back to the driver's bench and takes the reigns of the horses. She tries to turn the wagon around, having decided to take it back North.

If this man has kinfolk that he left this morning, she hopes to be able to inform them, return their wagon and maybe get some goodwill and information in return.

(Has Venvig any experience driving a wagon before?)

4/02/2014 2:47 pm  #20

JasonZavoda wrote:

(Has Venvig any experience driving a wagon before?)

I would assume so.

Her secondary skill is as an animal trainer and i see her upbringing as agricultural in addition to the hunting and wilderness experience. Horses would be the primary working animal to train and their primary use would be as draft horses, so i think she has driven a wagon before (removing horses from her animal trainer portfolio would IMO logically leave her with only being able to train hunting dogs). Her experience is probably not extensive, but she would not be completely unfamiliar.

I'll let you have final say (as always).

Last edited by Crisippo (4/02/2014 2:50 pm)

(Völuspá)
Realmsofmelpomene

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.