!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/15/2016 8:13 am  #1

simplified character sheet

The "default" character sheet for ASSH is great but a bit intense I think for someone like my kids (or eye challenged like myself).

So, I am working on a "simplified" version of it.

I was also wondering if it might be nice for con pregens as well? I'm thinking more for a game where you might have folks that aren't familiar with ASSH.

In any case here is what I have at the moment. I know that some of the text needs to move around to be less annoying. I'm also thinking of moving the stat blocks to the center of the page and move the combat related stuff to the top. Leaving the Abilities at the bottom since those are the 2 easiest to scan to portions of the page. I think, my UI/UX theory is not that great.

EDIT: Link is to dropbox folder with current and past revisions. See latest posts for link to current pdf.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5d62ec3i5sa0xqr/AAAgLWy7616X1CzEJbUM-4XUa?dl=0

Last edited by gizmomathboy (3/15/2016 12:47 pm)

What? Me worry?

3/15/2016 10:07 am  #2

Re: simplified character sheet

Nice one, gizmo!

I have DLed and will share with my players to get feedback. Offhand, I think you could shrink the ability-score section (the lines probably need to be the size of the saving-throw section. Some classes have more abilities than I think I would be able to fit in the abilities section as now sized.

You could fit To-hit and Damage mods in the column now just for to-hit, I think. Add a check box for mastery?

And, of course, neither spells nor gear and encumbrance is on there. Also Turning Ability.

3/15/2016 11:44 am  #3

Handy Haversack wrote:

Nice one, gizmo!

I have DLed and will share with my players to get feedback. Offhand, I think you could shrink the ability-score section (the lines probably need to be the size of the saving-throw section. Some classes have more abilities than I think I would be able to fit in the abilities section as now sized.

You could fit To-hit and Damage mods in the column now just for to-hit, I think. Add a check box for mastery?

And, of course, neither spells nor gear and encumbrance is on there. Also Turning Ability.

This is a work in progress. I'm working on page 2 at the moment.

I am thinking mastery stuff can go in the notes for weapons or abilities.

I was thinking more about hitting about 80% of what is needed. Not everyone has Turning or Casting Ability, but I'll thinking about it.

The attributes block is a bit big and I can probably shrink that down some in upcoming revisions. Recall, the main focus for me is something that a 10yo boy can easily and legibly write in. :-)

I'll appreciate any feedback, plus keep in mind "simplified" and for "kids"

What? Me worry?

3/15/2016 12:49 pm  #4

Ok, Handy, here's a link to the latest version with about everything I want in the base sheet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9nrha2zphoqc33/assh_character_sheet_letter_size_gizmo_spin_mk04_all_pages.pdf?dl=0

I think I will look to add encumbrance, Turning and Casting Abilities if I can make space for them.

I'll be moving/changing the money area as well.

Spells and anything else will be a separate sheet.

Fiddly bits todo: Line weights, text alignment

Last edited by gizmomathboy (3/15/2016 12:50 pm)

What? Me worry?

3/15/2016 1:17 pm  #5

gizmomathboy wrote:

I'll appreciate any feedback, plus keep in mind "simplified" and for "kids"

I think "my players" gets us to about the same place!

Looking good. Consider switching the Target AC/Move/Run line with the Saving Throw/FA/Unskilled line just to bring the combat numbers down next to the weapons. And maybe subdivide "Name" so that "Player" can be added?

3/15/2016 3:41 pm  #6

Here's the latest:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/feoazn7tn2y32sg/assh_character_sheet_letter_size_gizmo_spin_mk05_all_pages.pdf?dl=0

Handy, I think I'll add your changes tonight when I get a chance.

I think with this version (and adding in Handy's suggestion) I'll be down to nitpickery (text alignment and line weights).

What? Me worry?

3/15/2016 5:07 pm  #7

What? Me worry?

3/15/2016 5:26 pm  #8

Of course I show it to my kids, "Daddy, Avoidance is on their twice." D'oh!

Come on guys you're getting shown up by an 8yo. ;-)

With the fixes for that and 1 or 2 other things

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3l2j2n8skojz4z/assh_character_sheet_letter_size_gizmo_spin_mk07_all_pages.pdf?dl=0

What? Me worry?

3/15/2016 5:47 pm  #9

Manny's going to use it for his next character!

3/15/2016 6:08 pm  #10

Also, there's clearly no need for a magic items section!

3/15/2016 7:25 pm  #11

Go Manny.

I was gonna say that the Magic Items sections is a bit oversized and ambitious for your campaign.

Thanks for using it and let me know of any suggestions/mistakes/etc.

What? Me worry?

3/16/2016 5:52 am  #12

Handy Haversack wrote:

Ha! Spoken like a true referee!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/16/2016 7:19 am  #13

Handy Haversack wrote:

Nice.  You could probably just re-purpose the HP History line for that.

Last edited by mabon5127 (3/16/2016 7:31 am)

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/16/2016 7:20 am  #14

gizmo, I love the idea and concept, man. I'm a fan of any supplements that can aid in getting new players to have a good time (my wife and her sister come to mind). Personally, I find the attributes moved to the middle a little jarring, though. I'm just used to seeing them at the top, I guess. No one else has complained, so I suppose I am an outlier here, heh! Would it be tought to make an alternate version for weirdos like me?

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

3/16/2016 7:45 am  #15

Chainsaw wrote:

gizmo, I love the idea and concept, man. I'm a fan of any supplements that can aid in getting new players to have a good time (my wife and her sister come to mind). Personally, I find the attributes moved to the middle a little jarring, though. I'm just used to seeing them at the top, I guess. No one else has complained, so I suppose I am an outlier here, heh! Would it be tought to make an alternate version for weirdos like me?

Yeah, it's weird for me, too. Just trying something different in layout that I think might work better for finding the info.

I'll be sure to make a "ASSH simplified character sheet: Chainsaw Edition" :-)

What? Me worry?

3/16/2016 8:29 am  #16

3/16/2016 8:31 am  #17

Thanks! Man, that Chainsaw version sure is beautiful!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

3/16/2016 10:09 am  #18

Chainsaw wrote:

I like the stats at the top version AKA the "Chainsaw" version a little better.  Could there be a add-on spell sheet in the same format?

Thanks!

While in my soul forever

3/16/2016 11:35 am  #19

mabon5127 wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

I like the stats at the top version AKA the "Chainsaw" version a little better.  Could there be a add-on spell sheet in the same format?

Thanks!

Yep, There will be a 3rd page for spell stuff. Just haven't done it yet.

What? Me worry?

3/16/2016 11:55 am  #20

Awesome! Thanks!

While in my soul forever

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.