!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/12/2016 4:12 pm  #1

Subclass AND Class Abilities?

If a player picks a subclass do they get the subclass abilities in addition to the regular class abilities? I suspect this is the case. For example, the Berserker subclass mentions that weapon mastery stacks with the Berserker rage increase in attacks per round, which can result in a staggering 5/2 attacks per round, even though weapon mastery is not listed as a Berserker-specific power ability. 

I ask mostly because this seems to make the subclasses super-powerful. I'm preparing to run my first campaign in this system and I'm trying to predict imbalances within the party. If everyone makes standard class characters but one PC rolls well then that PC is, fairly, at an advantage over the rest of the party. But, then subclasses have attribute requirements, typically higher numbers than average. This means subclasses grant even greater powers to characters who already have an advantage. I know not all subclasses require very high numbers, but overall they favor characters who already have better stats, and then give them cooler abilities.

Also, if PCs get both class and subclass abilities, then I'm confused about saving throws. Do the bonuses stack between class and subclass? Or do subclass saving throws supplant class saving throws?

Without having played yet, it makes more sense to me that the subclass completely supplants the basic class in all ways, though that doesn't seem to be the case. Thoughts?

Thanks!

3/12/2016 7:16 pm  #2

Re: Subclass AND Class Abilities?

Welcome to the forum!
Subclasses only get the abilities specifically listed for them, not other abilities from the parent class.  Some subclasses are very different from the parent classes; for example, monks are a cleric subclass but they can't cast spells at all.  With respect to your specific concern, weapon mastery is in fact listed under the berserker subclass (page 32 of the Player's Manual, twelfth line from the top).

Last edited by Blackadder23 (3/12/2016 7:20 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

3/12/2016 7:46 pm  #3

Perfect! Thank you! After all that searching weapon mastery was sitting right in front of me.

I'm relieved, to be honest. It makes so much more sense.

Thanks again!

3/13/2016 3:19 pm  #4

Welcome aboard, VexedVizier!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

3/13/2016 4:38 pm  #5

VexedVizier wrote:

Perfect! Thank you! After all that searching weapon mastery was sitting right in front of me.

I'm relieved, to be honest. It makes so much more sense.

Thanks again!

You're welcome!  Feel free to ask any other questions you may have, and someone here will answer them (it will probably be me if I see them first, because I'm an annoying know-it-all).
Or just make up your own answers.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.