!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/21/2015 12:04 pm  #21

Re: Huntsman

Seems like a perfect fit for the AS&SH world doesn't it!

1/21/2015 4:35 pm  #22

Agricola wrote:

Will there be a Frost Lord specialty for the Warlock?

From the cryomancer article as published in AFS:

N.B.: A warlock (fighter subclass) may elect to practice cryomancy for his sorcery type. Such a warlock may be referred to as an ice lord. Also, a legerdemainist (thief subclass) who practices the sorcery of a cryomancer is oft referred to as an ice thief.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

1/21/2015 6:01 pm  #23

Ghul wrote:

Agricola wrote:

Will there be a Frost Lord specialty for the Warlock?

From the cryomancer article as published in AFS:

N.B.: A warlock (fighter subclass) may elect to practice cryomancy for his sorcery type. Such a warlock may be referred to as an ice lord. Also, a legerdemainist (thief subclass) who practices the sorcery of a cryomancer is oft referred to as an ice thief.

I actually do remember reading that now...

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

1/21/2015 11:58 pm  #24

Definitely one of the things that puts this game over the top in terms of it's coolness - all the different character class options, yet human-centric. The variety available adds to the flavor and vibe of the game.

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

1/22/2015 2:31 pm  #25

Scalydemon wrote:

Definitely one of the things that puts this game over the top in terms of it's coolness - all the different character class options, yet human-centric. The variety available adds to the flavor and vibe of the game.

Ditto. The number of sub-classes sold the game to one of my guys who has been running 3E for more than a decade. He's now planning to convert his world to AS&SH and insert Hyperborea as one of the ancient continents (with a few changes).

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

1/22/2015 4:12 pm  #26

It's a nice blend between what gamers of later editions consider to be 'options' and old schoolers know to be subclasses. It's attractive to have the additional options without undue complexity and density.

1/27/2016 12:14 pm  #27

Is the Seer still planned to be included in the hardback edition? If so, can you tell us more about it?

1/27/2016 3:50 pm  #28

Ynas Midgard wrote:

Is the Seer still planned to be included in the hardback edition? If so, can you tell us more about it?

It is not. It has been ditched. Ever take time writing something, and you just don't feel it? That's what happened with the seer. The more I tried to develop it, the further it got from being something that I thought I or anyone else would want to play, so I went in a different direction. The Seer has been replaced by . . .

RUNEGRAVER (cleric): The runegraver is a mystic warrior who graves sorcerous runes on bone, metal, stone, and wood. Graving is a heritable craft, taught to precocious young warriors. In Hyperborea, the craft was originally a gift from the deity Ullr, bestowed upon a selection of the first Vikings to cross the North Wind, and it has been passed down ever since. In the present climate, rune graving is not exclusive to Vikings, though most practitioners are of Nordic descent, and all pay homage to Ullr and Ymir. Runegravers are both celebrated and notorious adventurers, raiding with and fighting alongside berserkers and other swordsmen; indeed, their deeds as both warriors and mystic sorcerers is oft writ of in poems and sagas.

1/27/2016 3:54 pm  #29

The runegraver sounds great!  I have to admit I didn't think a seer sounded like an adventuring class - more like an NPC type - although I was willing to be surprised.  I definitely feel this is a better fit for an adventuring party.

Can't wait for the hardback!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

1/28/2016 7:46 am  #30

I see. Well, all designs are iterative, and if the runegraver is more to your liking, then we shall have a runegraver I'm especially curious about their mechanical implementation. I sense that they'll be most similar to the witch; i.e. spell list plus neat special abilities unlocked by advancing in level.

1/29/2016 6:15 am  #31

Not quite, Ynas Midgard. This subclass hedges closer to a fighter than any other non-fighter class. Truly, I was inspired by that hell-raiser from The Sagas, Egil Skallagrimsson.

The AS&SH runegraver is no frail little priest. He can use any weapon, wear any armour, and he is the only class that shares the fighting ability (FA) of a fighter (but no weapon mastery, no increased attack rate). He begins his career with knowledge of a single rune, and as he progresses in level gains, he learns a total of 16. These follow the Younger Futhark. He also has a few other rune-like abilities, including undead turning (starting at 3rd level) and an ale rune, which basically turns the water of a drinking horn into a healing ale (2 hp per level). 

1/29/2016 8:38 am  #32

Ghul wrote:

Not quite, Ynas Midgard. This subclass hedges closer to a fighter than any other non-fighter class. Truly, I was inspired by that hell-raiser from The Sagas, Egil Skallagrimsson.

The AS&SH runegraver is no frail little priest. He can use any weapon, wear any armour, and he is the only class that shares the fighting ability (FA) of a fighter (but no weapon mastery, no increased attack rate). He begins his career with knowledge of a single rune, and as he progresses in level gains, he learns a total of 16. These follow the Younger Futhark. He also has a few other rune-like abilities, including undead turning (starting at 3rd level) and an ale rune, which basically turns the water of a drinking horn into a healing ale (2 hp per level). 

Sounds great!

And not to get all Jack Chick/Blackleaf about it, but is there any chance that *players* or, better, deserving Referees can learn that ale rune trick? I mean, maybe as a backer level on the Kickstarter?

1/29/2016 9:01 am  #33

Ghul wrote:

Sounds good! One of the things I like about Hyperborea is the large number of fighter variants and this one's a neat addition.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

1/29/2016 10:06 am  #34

It sounds really great! I'm with Handy regarding the ale rune; I can even make the compromise of forgoing its healing properties, too

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.