!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2015 4:58 pm  #1

Dispomania

Hey all,
I've been playing AS&SH for about a year now and loving it. Last session my character unfortunately developed dispomania after smoking some Dust of Nightmare and Visions. In my defense it looked dank AF.

Anyway so I need to figure out how my dipsomania plays out in the game. I figured we would assume that as long as my character has a hip flask or waterskin containing booze he is free to self-medicate. However, when he must act, before doing so he must roll to check the state he's in. If he has rolled recently (within the last... few turns I guess) we don't need to roll again. DM'S discretion. I came up with a simple 1d8 table:

1 - withdrawal (incapacitated, can take 1 turn to have a drink)
2-3 sober, -2 to hit, can take 1 turn to have a drink)
4-5 - drunk. +0 to hit
6-7 - too drunk, -3 to hit
8 - passed out. If in combat make a saving throw vs poison per turn to revive

My character is a berzerker so when he's passed out it can be a problem for the party.

I wonder if anybody else has had a character with dipsomania and how they've handled the system. I think this table is okay.. It's simple and adds some appropriate consequences.

Also, my first post, hello everyone.

Last edited by Taddich (12/06/2015 5:00 pm)

12/06/2015 5:07 pm  #2

Re: Dispomania

Welcome! What a lovely way to start, with an acute case of dispomania. I think your chart is reasonable for a berserker. I would consider stiffer penalties at "drunk" for other classes. Also, I would advise your referee to make use of constitution tests and feats when intoxication might inhibit performance.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

12/06/2015 5:48 pm  #3

Haha! Awesome. Please let us know how it all works out for this pour soul. 

And welcome aboard!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

12/06/2015 7:02 pm  #4

Ghul wrote:

Welcome! What a lovely way to start, with an acute case of dispomania. I think your chart is reasonable for a berserker. I would consider stiffer penalties at "drunk" for other classes. Also, I would advise your referee to make use of constitution tests and feats when intoxication might inhibit performance.

Don't tell me what to do, Ghul!

Yes, the insane berserker is in my game. What? The dust of nightmare and visions really tied the room together!

12/06/2015 7:48 pm  #5

Handy Haversack wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Yes, the insane berserker is in my game. What? The dust of nightmare and visions really tied the room together!

I'm in stitches here! Oh, lord, Handy, you slay me! 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

12/06/2015 8:22 pm  #6

Welcome Taddich!  Great story! Thanks for sharing!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

12/06/2015 9:34 pm  #7

Handy Haversack wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Fancy seeing you here.

12/07/2015 7:18 am  #8

Thanks for the replies everyone! 

Ghul, using a con feat to allow for acting in spite of being inebriated - I like. I'll see about incorporating that next time. And maybe instead of just '-3 to hit' we could use '-3 to hit + poison adjustment'.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.