!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2015 3:33 pm  #1

necromancer animate control

Do the various animates stack or are they concurrent?

Animate Carrion 1 allows small animals to be re-animated and can control 1HD/caster level

Animate Carrion 2 allows medium animals to be re-anminated and can control 2HD/caster level

Animated Carrion 3 allows large animals to be re-animated and can control 3HD/caster level

So, does a 9th level necromancer able to control 18 squirrels, 6-ish boars/black bears, and 3-ish cave bears?

Or Just 3 HD total per level of all creatures? Which could be like 54 squirrels, or 8-ish black bears, or 3-ish cave bears.

just need to think this through a touch.

What? Me worry?

11/18/2015 5:43 pm  #2

Re: necromancer animate control

I don't know how Jeff intended it to be read, but I would treat each spell separately.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

11/18/2015 5:47 pm  #3

My interpretation is that a 9 CA necromancer can cast animate carrion 1 and control up to 9 HD of small animals.

He can cast animate carrion 2 and control 18 HD of small and medium animals.

He can cast animate carrion 3 and control 27 HD of small, medium and large creatures.

None of the spells stop you from animating animals of higher HD than what is listed as "3 HD per CA" as long as you have a high enough CA. Animate carrion 3 could Animate 2 mammoths (12 HD each)  with 3 HD left over for a CA 9 necromancer.

11/19/2015 12:02 am  #4

SavageGM wrote:

My interpretation is that a 9 CA necromancer can cast animate carrion 1 and control up to 9 HD of small animals.

He can cast animate carrion 2 and control 18 HD of small and medium animals.

He can cast animate carrion 3 and control 27 HD of small, medium and large creatures.

None of the spells stop you from animating animals of higher HD than what is listed as "3 HD per CA" as long as you have a high enough CA. Animate carrion 3 could Animate 2 mammoths (12 HD each) with 3 HD left over for a CA 9 necromancer.

Indeedy. Treat each spell as its own thing. There's no reason to assume any given necromancer would have more than one of them.

Is it Firefox or the website that has no spelling issue with "necromancer"?

11/19/2015 9:51 am  #5

Yeah, that was my interpretation, too. Each spell is separate.

I was just chatting things though with the player the other night. Interesting little horde even a 5th level necromancer can whip up given the proper access to "resources".

What? Me worry?

11/19/2015 12:32 pm  #6

My interpretation is that a 12th-level necromancer could have in his service a maximum of 24 small undead animals, 24 medium undead animals, 7 large undead animals, 12 skeletons and/or zombies, 5 ghouls, and (on a 2-in-6 chance) 1 ghast.

11/19/2015 12:35 pm  #7

SavageGM wrote:

None of the spells stop you from animating animals of higher HD than what is listed as "3 HD per CA" as long as you have a high enough CA. Animate carrion 3 could Animate 2 mammoths (12 HD each) with 3 HD left over for a CA 9 necromancer.

Whilst the referee is certainly free to devise unique variants, by default animal skeletons have ½ HD, 1 HD, or 5 HD, based on their size, regardless of how many hit dice they possessed when alive.

11/19/2015 12:45 pm  #8

OK I see. Well that makes it even stronger spells imo. If a mammoth is considered to be a large skeleton with 5 HD instead of 12 HD you could control even more, correct?

11/19/2015 12:54 pm  #9

DMPrata wrote:

SavageGM wrote:

Whilst the referee is certainly free to devise unique variants, by default animal skeletons have ½ HD, 1 HD, or 5 HD, based on their size, regardless of how many hit dice they possessed when alive.

The more I think about this the more I think that you should take the living animals HD into consideration and then once animated it reverts to the skeleton animals HD. Sea Serpent has 16 HD and is Large. Seems unreasonable that the 12th level Necromancer could control 7 of them.

11/19/2015 1:15 pm  #10

On further thought. I think the sentence in animate carrion explains they must be animals of a natural kind. Some monsters like the sea Serpent may not fall into that category. Up to the referee I guess which animal is natural or not.

11/19/2015 2:27 pm  #11

Personally, I wouldn't allow a sea serpent or "giant" anything to be animated.  Just actual animals actually found on Earth at some point (so prehistoric beasts would be included).  I would most likely impose a "common sense" limit on size too (no blue whales, for example).

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

11/19/2015 6:24 pm  #12

Blackadder23 wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't allow a sea serpent or "giant" anything to be animated.  Just actual animals actually found on Earth at some point (so prehistoric beasts would be included).  I would most likely impose a "common sense" limit on size too (no blue whales, for example).

In that case, you are allowed in the American Museum of Natural History.

11/19/2015 7:19 pm  #13

Handy Haversack wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

In that case, you are allowed in the American Museum of Natural History.

Not since that incident with the T-Rex skeleton...

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.