!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/04/2014 2:53 pm  #21

Re: Inspiring Metal Music

I really enjoy Baroness' Blue Record ("sludge metal"). It's probably one of my favorite few albums of the past several years, in fact. I think it has a somber, dreamlike weirdness (with occasional undertones of dread) that fits AS&SH well. Now, maybe this is because I was listening to it as I read CAS' Hyperborean collection for the first time, so who knows if it will appeal to you as well. In any case, the opening two tracks should give you a good feel for the style (0.00-1.20,1.21-5.50), but the whole record (below) is great.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/05/2014 1:05 pm  #22

This has been in my semi-regular rotation for a while now. Great minds and all... ;)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/06/2014 9:14 am  #23

Can't really go wrong with Finntroll and Ensiferum.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

4/06/2014 10:19 am  #24

Just about every song by The Sword gets me into RPG mode.

I'm particularly fond of the first album (Gods of the Earth) and the latest (Apocryphon).

4/06/2014 6:33 pm  #25

I really enjoy The Sword as well, but I prefer the first two albums (Age of Winters, Gods of the Earth). I may be mistaken, but I think Age of Winters was first, then came Gods of the Earth.

I was supposed to see these guys open for Metallica several years ago, but instead my crew got bombed drinking jagermeister in the parking lot.

/shakes head

4/06/2014 8:02 pm  #26

Chainsaw wrote:

I was supposed to see these guys open for Metallica several years ago, but instead my crew got bombed drinking jagermeister in the parking lot.

/shakes head

Instead of getting bombed in the parking lot, I spent the entirety of The Sword's set (and most of Machine Head's) in line at the merch booth to get my Metallica Boston T-shirt.

4/18/2014 12:00 pm  #27

The German Master's of Metal have returned. One of my favorite bands. The singer / lead guitarist is one Kai Hansen. Hansen founded the band Helloween decades ago, and he sang on the first few albums, before he turned over those duties to the more popular Michael Kiske (the vocalist for Keeper of the Seven Keys Parts 1 + 2). Hansen left the band, however, because I think he had disagreements with the record label and the commerical direction of the band. He went on to form Gamma Ray, taking on the vocals again, and he's been fantastic. Even in his mid-fifties, he still has the power metal pipes:

4/19/2014 8:40 pm  #28

Digging Blood Ceremony, Ghul.

4/25/2014 9:05 pm  #29

DungeonDork introduced me to Witchcraft. They're awesome, even if it's the softer side of metal. This track is cool and the whole album is recommended.

4/26/2014 6:52 am  #30

This is fantastic, Chainsaw. Love it!

4/26/2014 4:42 pm  #31

Thanks Chainsaw! Witchcraft is going on my phone. Done deal.

Níu man ek heima, níu íviðjur,
mjötvið mæran fyr mold neðan.
(Völuspá)
(Nine worlds I knew,the nine in the tree with mighty roots beneath the mold)
Realmsofmelpomene

5/31/2014 11:10 pm  #32

Woah, Ghul, thanks for introducing me to Gamma Ray, surprised I never came accross them before.  And thank you chainsaw for reminding me to get some witchcraft, i swear i heard that name before but glad to fully appreciate them now. 
       Anyone bring up Hammerfall yet?  They kind of make me want to play a crusading cleric just to base off their mascot and music

guess I don't know how to embed things, but I recomend Heeding the Call, or Steel meats steel

Last edited by RedJowel (5/31/2014 11:11 pm)

1/25/2015 11:41 am  #33

I have seen this band play a few times  at this venue (Funhouse in Seattle - which is no more). Inspiring in some ways..vampire horror, psychobilly

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

5/13/2015 3:50 pm  #34

I think this says Hyperborea:

as does basically the entire Probot:

5/22/2015 11:48 am  #35

Mastodon - Blood Mountain!

A progrock metal album about a dude in search of a Crystal Skull which he hopes to place at the top of Blood Mountain, which is supposedly a ritual that removes "the reptilian brain" causing its owner the ability to achieve the next step of human evolution. Along his journey, the dude encounters a Cysquatch, a one-eyed sasquatch that can see into the future, who warns the of the following dangers during the journey for the Crystal Skull, which includes sprinting through a forest of murderous "Birchmen". The album is Hyperborean as all get out!

Enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bQdMz762ns

Last edited by GritGrimdark (5/22/2015 2:54 pm)

5/22/2015 2:34 pm  #36

Agreed, big fan. I like Bladecatcher a lot.

7/17/2015 10:39 am  #37

Sort of neat if you have 4 mins to kill

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

9/25/2015 4:33 pm  #38

I'm putting a Tornado of Souls in my next adventure!

11/15/2015 6:47 am  #39

Thanks DM_Soda, I hadn't heard of gates of Slumber before.

I've had  'Surtur Rising' and 'Twilight of the Thunder God' (by Amon Amarth), as well as  'Mare Nostrum' and 'The Gorgon Cult' (by Stormlord) on rotation for a long while now - great albums.

11/20/2015 6:39 pm  #40

This one grabbed my attention:

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.