!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/06/2015 9:21 pm  #1

Astonishing ACKS! (Google+)

Hi all. I've started running a campaign set in Hyperborea; but using the Adventurer, Conqueror, King (ACKS) rules from Autarch. I've got a gameblog (called Mutants & Magic) set up at: https://mutantsmagic.wordpress.com/

The first session (set in Brigand's Bay) began with an attack of Bird-Men, Lizard-Men, and Vhuurmis on the hill-fort village of Calford: https://mutantsmagic.wordpress.com/2015/08/20/session-report-the-fall-of-calford/

I'm looking for folks who would be interested in a few low-level Google+ sessions. I realize that the ruleset might not be to peoples' tastes in this forum, but figured I'd "fish for interest" here nonetheless.

9/06/2015 9:29 pm  #2

Re: Astonishing ACKS! (Google+)

Interesting! Good luck finding players and keep us posted on how the campaign unfolds. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

9/07/2015 9:38 am  #3

Looking forward to reading your blog! I don't know much about ACKS other than that it is derived from red box / RC with more emphasis on ruling domains and such. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

9/07/2015 5:46 pm  #4

When do you guys regularly play? I'm a Hungarian gamer, so that puts me at UTC+1, but I have a very flexible work schedule so I may participate in a weekly or bi-weekly game if I can hit the technical requirements (I have an older laptop and I'm stuck with a bad ISP).

9/07/2015 7:16 pm  #5

I'm in western Canada in the Mountain Time Zone (UTC-07). This new game would probably be more of a one-shot or irregular sessions (at least for now). My intent is to pick one of the one-page adventures with good Hyperborean flavour and see how it works out.

I'll keep my eye open for you on Google+ and we can test the equipment.

9/12/2015 10:55 pm  #6

We've been keeping the game going via email and ran a Google+ session (which I prefer to Skype). I didn't do a tradional "session recap", but have posted information about local NPCs:

https://mutantsmagic.wordpress.com/2015/09/12/personalities-of-fort-turas/

Bjorn Skullsplitter is a "Brigand King" ruling from Fort Türas on the north shores of Brigand's Bay.

In my campaign, Türas is a variant of Thor. He is a ruthless foe of otherworldly creatures - but it is said that in Old Earth, he hunted giants (this has earned the enmity of Ymir). Devotion to Türas is strongly discouraged in Vikland, though he is popular with Vikings elsewhere in Hyperborea.

9/24/2015 10:04 pm  #7

Okay; I've run a few more sessions since I last posted. Google+ is working well and I've got multiple groups of PCs in play. (Based on either Mountain Time Zone or Central European Time Zone.) Also been advancing the plot between session via email.

I'm totally going for a "Serpent-Man & Ancient Aliens" theme. Finding weird reptoid conspiracy pics from the web, and tossing them at my Viking & Kelt PCs. Some of them are confused. ("What? Where are the elves and dragons?") I think I have their interest...

There's a call out from the local Jarl for brave heroes and mercenaries. Anyone available to face the beastman threat?

Last edited by kslacker (9/24/2015 10:05 pm)

10/06/2015 8:53 pm  #8

I'm still running this campaign on Google Hangouts and have added a few more players. I've set up a Community for this group:

• Hyperborean Murderhobos

Come join if you're interested in some action. (It's a private group, so I'll need to approve the request.)

Last edited by kslacker (10/06/2015 8:53 pm)

10/07/2015 8:48 am  #9

Wish I had time, man. Sounds fun!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

10/07/2015 7:14 pm  #10

I joined to be a silent observer, if that's fine!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/11/2016 4:29 pm  #11

It's been a while since I posted here, but Astonishing ACKS is still going strong. I'm not big on detailed play reports, but I'm sufficiently motivated to provide an outline from my campaign (mostly to brag)...

I ran the Sinister Stone of Sakkara as a modified adventure in my Astonishing ACKS game, which uses the Hyperborea campaign world. In general, Hyperborean menaces were substituted for the common ACKS antagonists. I replaced kobolds with Bird-Men, goblins with Ape-Men, and hobgoblins with Vhuurmis. This meant that the overall PC power level needed to be bumped up a bit; to about 2nd-4th lvl.

Here's a summary of our game sessions:

1 - Fall of Calford (19-Aug-15 via Skype): Kickoff session and character funnel.
1.a - Journey to Türas Tem (via email to 31-Aug-15): Overland travel through the Viamir Marshes.
2 - Fort Türas and Environs (02-Sep-15 via Hangouts): Audience with Bjorn Skullsplitter, Traveler's Inn, meeting the Dead Rabbits, and the journey back to Calford.
3 - Into the Dome (16-Sep-15 via Hangouts): First foray into the Temple, eradication of the Bird-Men.
4 - 2nd Expedition (20-Sep-15 via Hangouts): Hagnar, Ulak-Narn, and Dougie on a mission from Wulfgar. Discovery of open-air zone.
4.a - Shank's Offer (via email to 28-Sep-15): Fergus encounters a local thug, and attempts to meet Drusus. Murderhoboism ensues.
4.b - Off to See the Wizard (via email to 29-Sep-15): Burningman travels back to Türas Tem and learns of Ancient Valusia.
5 - Idimmu the Demonic (30-Sep-15 via Hangouts): The core PCs return to the dome and massacre the Lizard-Men. They then encounter a greater threat at the ziggurat... and run away screaming.
6 - Bandit Assault (14-Oct-15 via Hangouts): The Murderhobos eradicate Drusus and his bandits.
7- Side-Trek to Türas Tem (via posts to 24-Oct-15): Sveinn and Fergus travel to Fort Türas to obtain Drusus's bounty and sell loot.
8 - Fate of the Ape-Men (26-Oct-15 via Hangouts): The Murderhobos learn that they are not the only ones doing the killing.
9 - The Lake of Blood (16-Nov-15 via Hangouts): Our heroes venture into the Lower Caves, where new horrors await.
10 - The Blood Tree (25-Nov-15 via Hangouts): The Tree of Blood is defeated, and the Lady Below notices the PCs.
10.a - Rumours About Wulfgar (06-Dec-15): Fergus tests out the ACKS Hijinx rules.
11 - Entry Denied (07-Dec-15 via Hangouts): The Murderhobos are unable to enter the Dome, and play politics in Calford instead.
12 - The Lady Defeated (17-Dec-15 via Hangouts): A surprisingly clever ambush unexpectedly defeats the Lady Below.
13 - The Shattered Stone (31-Dec-15 via Hangouts): Auor sacrifices himself to destroy the Stone, and the Murderhobos make a new ally.
14 - To the Victor go the Spoils (14-Jan-15 via Hangouts): The Murderhobos defeat Idimmu the Demonic and uncover multiple treasure hordes!

We've since moved on to the Serpent Isles (using the Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess), and the Murderhobos continue to adventure!

Last edited by kslacker (4/11/2016 4:29 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.