!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/12/2015 6:00 am  #1

Death of the Sightless Serpent

We had a game tonight. I'm running the Charnel Crypt (which is very fun by the way). It has pretty much everything I like in an adventure. Anyway, I looked at the errr...beastie therein, from which the module derives its namesake, and thought to myself "My gosh, a 10 hit die creature. This is going to be a party massacre." Well, it wasn't. In two rounds it was dead! The berserker did 43(?) damage to it in one turn (a critical and lots of damage). I couldn't believe it. I double-checked the damage was legit, and it was. It got a few good hits in, but a lucky petrification save was made, so no one died. I honestly expected quite a different outcome.

Moral of the story? The dice will always surprise you.

8/12/2015 9:37 am  #2

Re: Death of the Sightless Serpent

I've run it several times at cons and of course for my home group. I've seen the beast taken down quickly, and I've seen it petrify large groups.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

8/12/2015 4:12 pm  #3

Good work on that adventure Jeff, I'm having a blast running it.

8/12/2015 8:02 pm  #4

I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed it, Corey. It's special for me because it was my first AS&SH product, and I really worked hard to establish the tone to the setting; this whilst in the midst of developing the game. I'm always happy to hear someone has run it, and that it was fun; it really makes me smile! So, thank you for mentioning it. For my own part, I began my own personal play-test of your module, The Anthropophagi of Xamboola.

8/12/2015 8:28 pm  #5

No worries Jeff. It has all the Gygaxian elements of an adventure that I enjoy, combined with the moodiness of Hyperborea, which I also like.

How did the first session of Xamboola go?

Last edited by Rastus_Burne (8/12/2015 8:29 pm)

8/12/2015 8:57 pm  #6

First sesion went great. The party is on site and have explored many of the major points of the city. It is a party completely comprised of thieves and thief subclasses, and they work for one Tull Kamtose, who is a renowned high level purloiner; an NPC mentioned briefly in my 0th level mini-adventure, The Lamia's Heart, found in the pages of AFS. Tull has financial interests in Xamboola, but his emissaries keep disappearing . . . ;)

8/12/2015 9:23 pm  #7

Disappearing? I wonder why!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.