!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/10/2015 11:21 am  #1

Fire Trap

Just a quick question here. The druid has advanced to level 3 and she has picked up Fire Trap. This spell will be useful for a variety of reasons, but upon close reading it can be cast on bottles. Her thought is to fill some glass vials with oil cast Fire Trap on them and then hurl them at her enemies for massive damage. I happen to like her initiative and creative use (explotation?) of the spell to have a poor woman's fireball. I'm inclined to let this happen, though I warned her of the dangers of traveling around with 3 of these in her belt pouch, one critical hit or fall could result in a flaming Druid the likes of which will haunt PC memories for years to come.

How would you handle this use of the spell? Would you allow it or rule that breaking the bottles open doesn't constitute opening per the spirit of the spell?

I'm sure the whole town won't burn down from setting the inn on fire.

8/10/2015 2:23 pm  #2

Re: Fire Trap

I would allow it, and the druid would almost certainly run afoul of her own oil at some point.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/11/2015 3:55 am  #3

Zombieman wrote:

one critical hit or fall 

Isn't AS&SH one of the branches of D&D where, if a character fails a saving throw, then anything they're carrying has to make a saving throw as well?

Just sayin'...

Last edited by nDervish (8/11/2015 3:56 am)

8/11/2015 8:04 pm  #4

Yes, nDervish, good point. I think I would give the belt pouch a save first, then the glass, so a 10 then a 9 versus a fireball. This will move the firetrap bottles into something that is probably used for a few levels until the party hits the big mana weilding opponents, then it will no doubt fall out of favor.

I'm sure the whole town won't burn down from setting the inn on fire.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.