!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/04/2015 12:32 pm  #1

Kobold Replacement?

I'm converting an adventure module to the Hyperborean setting, replacing various humanoids with Vhuurmis, Ape-Men, and the like.

I'm a bit stumped about with Kobolds, though. What do you think would fill the "low HD, tricksy" niche? (I've already got several human factions, so am looking for a non-human race.)

8/04/2015 1:33 pm  #2

Re: Kobold Replacement?

What's the environment?  Underground maybe troglodytes (chameleons are pretty sneaky) or dwarves.  You might need to cut the numbers since both those races have more HD than kobolds.  Aboveground maybe hyaena-men (i.e., gnolls) or orcs, both of whom I could see setting sadistic traps.  Ape-men or vhuurmis could also work in either environment.  Another possibility might be bird-men, since they have bad attitudes and are a race not normally found in D&D.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/04/2015 7:18 pm  #3

How about oon?

8/04/2015 11:24 pm  #4

It's an underground dungeon, but closely connected to the surface (particularly the kobold lair). There's a variety of humanoids present, and I've already swapped in hyena-men, vhuurmis, ape-men, and others. Hyperborea seems to be lacking in weak humanoid opponents. (Other than humans, that is.)

Thanks for the suggestions; I'm leaning towards bird-men. (Hadn't thought about oon, though.)

Last edited by kslacker (8/04/2015 11:28 pm)

8/05/2015 5:48 am  #5

Humans would be another good choice - maybe inbred degenerates, or cultists, or bandits using a booby-trapped cave as a hideout.

Dave's suggestion of oon also sounds good.  They seem like they'd be sneaky and cowardly.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.