!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2014 11:15 am  #1

Mystery at Port Greely

Until recently, the peculiar village of Port Greely was renowned as one of the most prolific exporters of crustaceans in the realm. Then, about three years ago, the Greely lobstermen severed all ties with outside partners. Subsequent attempts at renegotiation were shunned. More recently, a small group of Fishmongers’ Guild representatives from the City-State of Khromarium has gone missing in Port Greely, and answers have been less than forthcoming. At present, the guild seeks answers. They want to know what became of their representatives, and they wish to reestablish their lucrative partnership with the Port Greely lobstermen. Your party has been contracted to help resolve the mystery at Port Greely.

OK, my fine fellows, this adventure has once again been bumped by Gygax Magazine; originally slated for issue #3, then bumped to #4, and now bumped to be (hopefully, depending on their advertising success) included in issue #5. I'm afraid editor-in-chief Jayson Elliot prefers a larger number of diverse, shorter pieces in favor of adventure content of the 5,500-word variety such as I have submitted. I know the magazine's games editor, James Carpio, is very fond of the adventure, but the final say is not his. So, I'm pulling the article from future consideration. I plan to expand a few portions that are presented more sparsely than I would have liked (I ended the piece at 8,000 words and trimmed it to 5,500), and I will contract some art and hopefull get DMP to edit it. I actually already paid for the cartography on my own dime (Andreas Claren) to help out the magazine, so that portion is already complete. I will publish this adventure under the North Wind Adventures banner, which is probably for the best, anyhow, because Gygax Magazine is a non-paying market; philosophically, I am opposed to art (that includes writing) being provided for free (fanzines are an exception, they barely make beer and pretzel money), but here I made an exception because I am very fond of Ernie and Luke Gygax, and I viewed my Gygax Magazine articles as a form of shameless self-promotion. But after a year, one has to cut bait and find a new pond, as the case may be. I have no hard feelings. Business is business.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/14/2014 12:40 pm  #2

Re: Mystery at Port Greely

Ghul wrote:

Until recently, the peculiar village of Port Greely was renowned as one of the most prolific exporters of crustaceans in the realm. Then, about three years ago, the Greely lobstermen severed all ties with outside partners. Subsequent attempts at renegotiation were shunned. More recently, a small group of Fishmongers’ Guild representatives from the City-State of Khromarium has gone missing in Port Greely, and answers have been less than forthcoming. At present, the guild seeks answers. They want to know what became of their representatives, and they wish to reestablish their lucrative partnership with the Port Greely lobstermen. Your party has been contracted to help resolve the mystery at Port Greely.

OK, my fine fellows, this adventure has once again been bumped by Gygax Magazine; originally slated for issue #3, then bumped to #4, and now bumped to be (hopefully, depending on their advertising success) included in issue #5. I'm afraid editor-in-chief Jayson Elliot prefers a larger number of diverse, shorter pieces in favor of adventure content of the 5,500-word variety such as I have submitted. I know the magazine's games editor, James Carpio, is very fond of the adventure, but the final say is not his. So, I'm pulling the article from future consideration. I plan to expand a few portions that are presented more sparsely than I would have liked (I ended the piece at 8,000 words and trimmed it to 5,500), and I will contract some art and hopefull get DMP to edit it. I actually already paid for the cartography on my own dime (Andreas Claren) to help out the magazine, so that portion is already complete. I will publish this adventure under the North Wind Adventures banner, which is probably for the best, anyhow, because Gygax Magazine is a non-paying market; philosophically, I am opposed to art (that includes writing) being provided for free (fanzines are an exception, they barely make beer and pretzel money), but here I made an exception because I am very fond of Ernie and Luke Gygax, and I viewed my Gygax Magazine articles as a form of shameless self-promotion. But after a year, one has to cut bait and find a new pond, as the case may be. I have no hard feelings. Business is business.

You gave them a fair shot. Now publish the little bastard so we can play it! (I think it is a big mistake on the mag's part though. They need a kick-ass adventure in every issue).

3/14/2014 2:01 pm  #3

Quite frankly, I'd rather have this version with more text and art, so it's a positive development for me. Their loss!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

3/14/2014 2:26 pm  #4

Thanks, fellows. That means a lot to me.

3/14/2014 2:30 pm  #5

I agree as well.  I would much rather buy the adventure separately in the curent stiff cover format with applicable art ect.

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/15/2014 10:06 am  #6

Count me among those who'd rather have it separate from the mag, too.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

3/15/2014 10:28 am  #7

Just tell me when I can buy it.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

3/15/2014 10:46 am  #8

Why, thanks, fellows. It's nice to know you guys would like to read and possibly run it. 

3/16/2014 4:54 pm  #9

While I do like Gygax Magazine, I'm glad this is going to be available seperately.

3/20/2014 9:16 am  #10

Another module to be on the lookout for.

3/21/2014 9:56 am  #11

I agree with the gents here, I'd rather see the adventure as separate publication. Good luck with it Jeff!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

3/23/2014 2:09 am  #12

Chainsaw wrote:

Quite frankly, I'd rather have this version with more text and art, so it's a positive development for me. Their loss!

Agreed completely.

3/23/2014 6:32 am  #13

The only con to this development, as I see it, is that placed in Gygax Magazine, it could have exposed thousands of people to what we're doing who otherwise may have never heard of the game. See, I'm of the opinion that the best material in GM is the content oriented material: Mike Curtis' swamp town, Luke's desert campaign material, Ernie and Benoist's dungeon material -- stuff that I can use as a gamer.  

3/23/2014 12:35 pm  #14

Ghul wrote:

The only con to this development, as I see it, is that placed in Gygax Magazine, it could have exposed thousands of people to what we're doing who otherwise may have never heard of the game. See, I'm of the opinion that the best material in GM is the content oriented material: Mike Curtis' swamp town, Luke's desert campaign material, Ernie and Benoist's dungeon material -- stuff that I can use as a gamer.  

What about submitting part of the adventure to Gygax mag?  Like the Marmoreal Tomb- an intro as to what's coming later.  Then you could have the larger part released as NW.  Just a thought.

3/23/2014 1:26 pm  #15

Ghul wrote:

I would agree in general.  Though I do like pieces like "Weird Vibrations" as a way to jar my thinking. 

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/25/2014 5:44 pm  #16

You are doing the right thing, Jeff.  Exposure is one thing, and maybe something shorter can be done for the magazine at a later date. 

3/25/2014 7:51 pm  #17

Kookla wrote:

Ghul wrote:

What about submitting part of the adventure to Gygax mag?  Like the Marmoreal Tomb- an intro as to what's coming later.  Then you could have the larger part released as NW.  Just a thought.

It's a good thought, but this is a short adventure. It doesn't make sense to send just a part of something that is short in the first place. Benoist and Ernie gave a glimpse of a much larger mega-dungeon adventure, so what you suggest makes more sense for them. I appreciate the thought, though. 

3/25/2014 7:52 pm  #18

mabon5127 wrote:

Ghul wrote:

I would agree in general.  Though I do like pieces like "Weird Vibrations" as a way to jar my thinking. 

Morgan

And I appreciate you mentioning that, Morgan. Thanks!

3/25/2014 7:54 pm  #19

Druvas wrote:

You are doing the right thing, Jeff.  Exposure is one thing, and maybe something shorter can be done for the magazine at a later date. 

Absolutely! 

3/26/2014 8:50 am  #20

Ghul wrote:

It's a good thought, but this is a short adventure. It doesn't make sense to send just a part of something that is short in the first place. Benoist and Ernie gave a glimpse of a much larger mega-dungeon adventure, so what you suggest makes more sense for them. I appreciate the thought, though. 

No worries  I'm looking forward to seeing more modules put out for the game.  I don't think one can have too many.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.