!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/02/2015 9:17 pm  #41

Re: NTRPG Con VII (2015)

Agreed!

I'll arrive at the hotel in about 27 hours. Looking forward to a nice flight (upgraded to first class!), a relaxing breakfast Thursday morning and some time to prepare for our 1230 game.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

6/07/2015 7:48 am  #42

Thursday
Main exterior entrance

View from directly inside - main atrium ahead (beyond that, ballroom with gaming tables, vendors), restaurant/bar to the left, hotel rooms to the right

Restaurant in front, bar farther back

Gaming area in main atrium

Ballroom, left side - a few vendors (Pacesetter)

Ballroom, right side, Dennis Sustare front right, original posters framed along far wall

An original Holmes poster

Austinjimm standing, then left is capitalbill, EOTB, TRP, Ken-do-nim, Ghul, balrog62 and Flambeaux

CountingWizard's game

Friday
Holmes and B/X display

Mythmere running OD&D (S&W) Mythrus Tower

Steve Marsh's game

tacojohn's AD&D game

grodog's AD&D game

Ghul's Hyperborea game

Jennell Jacquays' game

Wolfgang Baur's game

A zombie apocalypse game

Scalydemon (left) playing a casual two-person WWII war game by the restaurant

Saturday
Small print publishers panel (from left, Mythmere, Richard LeBlanc (organizer), Zac Glazer, Ghul, Hill Cantons author Chris Kutalik, others). There were probably thirty+ people in the audience, but it's hard to tell because I zoomed in a little bit.

grodog and tacojohn at the Black Blade table

Ghul at his Hyperborea table

Scaly (left) and Ghul (right)

6/07/2015 5:23 pm  #43

Hot damn, between Handy Haversack's visit to Seattle and then NTRPG Con I feel like I have met half of Hyperborea. Good times!

Thanks for taking/posting the pics Chainsaw

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

6/08/2015 9:01 am  #44

Awesome pics Chainsaw!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

6/08/2015 9:13 am  #45

Scalydemon wrote:

Thanks for taking/posting the pics Chainsaw

joseph wrote:

Awesome pics Chainsaw!

No problem, guys. Happy to do it! I wish we could all be there.

Also, joseph, I failed to take any pictures of Jeff running Fane Saturday night - I was too engrossed in the adventure (some details below). We had a really good time!

I love trying to pull cool stunts at convention games, and there were some good opportunities. We started off on the bridge, in front of the attacking dinosaur, so I had my chaotic evil fighter leap off the bridge and attack it in mid-air with his war pick, then hang on! The next round, I made a strength feat to use my body weight to drag the pick down its side. Awesome!

Later, in the snake-man priest's lair, I tried to make a running leap across the circular well shaft, but failed and fell in! Jeff generously allowed me one last save, which I pulled off with a perfect 20, so it was said that my war pick snagged the opposite rim. So, rather than toppling hundreds of feet into the abyss, I clinged to the side like a mountain climber on a wall of ice. The war pick's my new favorite weapon! Anyway, despite starting off poorly in that fight, we ended up kicking ass.

6/08/2015 11:33 am  #46

Sounds like a great time! /green with envy

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/08/2015 6:19 pm  #47

Ok , here is an after action Con briefing from one man's perspective

Relied strictly on pick up games this time, besides registering to run 1 game. Result - felt like I should have registered light, but registered for 1 game per day. Next time I go I will tweak this strategy. I also learned you need to be registered early and on the stick as soon as the actual game registration goes live to have any chance of getting into a popular game that you like.

Games I played in:
War of 1812
Roma
Battleline
Trieste
Operation Market Garden - Eindhoven Bridge
Swords & Wizardry - an adventure called 'The First Sentinal' (I think)
& I ran the registered LL game set in Hyperborea, the adventure 'Theme for a Jackal' printed in AFS 4

Had fun with all of it. As mentioned earlier cool to meet people from places like this, and getting to interact with all the multiitude of special guests is great. Had some beers for awhile with Zeb Cook, had a nice long interesting conversation with Darlene were 2 highlights of this.

Negatives:
I wish the game slots were 4 hours instead of 6 hours.
Texas is too damn hot

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

6/08/2015 7:11 pm  #48

We don't have 6 hour time slots.... we have 3 slots per day:

0800~1800 that would be 10 hours

1800~2400+  that would be 6 hours plus !

The DM/GMs decide when to start/stop, break etc etc. They choose how long they need for gaming...

some SADLY choose 4 hours or less and who can play a decent RPG in less than 6 hours !!!???

They should last for 96 hours straight !

6/08/2015 7:16 pm  #49

Welcome aboard, Doug!

6/08/2015 9:58 pm  #50

Chainsaw wrote:

Also, joseph, I failed to take any pictures of Jeff running Fane Saturday night - I was too engrossed in the adventure (some details below). We had a really good time!

Forgotten Fane was awesome!

I almost always run either a thief or fighter type character at con games, mostly so I can stay involved in the game and do cool/dumb things but not have to think too much.

This time I went with the Pyromancer and I think I did pretty good with his spells, wand, and incendiary fire. Allan did help me out by acting as my sounding bound on some ideas, although my using a spectral phantasm of a cadre of plump aromatic monkeys to try to distract a dinosaur did get by him.

6/11/2015 8:30 am  #51

grodog snapped a pic of the Forgotten Fane game

6/11/2015 11:54 am  #52

Great stuff, guys!

(Though that tyrannosaur is still my kill!)

6/11/2015 4:41 pm  #53

capitalbill wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Forgotten Fane was awesome!

I almost always run either a thief or fighter type character at con games, mostly so I can stay involved in the game and do cool/dumb things but not have to think too much.

This time I went with the Pyromancer and I think I did pretty good with his spells, wand, and incendiary fire. Allan did help me out by acting as my sounding bound on some ideas, although my using a spectral phantasm of a cadre of plump aromatic monkeys to try to distract a dinosaur did get by him.

I'm happy to hear that you guys got to play and enjoyed the module! Jeff has been tenacious with testing it at cons for quite a while now and I can only imagine that he can run it with his eyes closed by now. Happy gaming guys!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

6/12/2015 10:35 am  #54

looks like a fun time, I see some victory point games action in that resturant shot.

6/12/2015 1:36 pm  #55

The_Great_Lestrade wrote:

looks like a fun time, I see some victory point games action in that resturant shot.

Is that what Scaly's playing? I could not recall the name.

6/12/2015 6:25 pm  #56

The_Great_Lestrade wrote:

Yes, you have a keen eye, especially since I was using my plexi-glass overlay that creates the glare in the pic.
The game being played there is http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/118336/paul-koenigs-market-garden-eindhoven-bridge

I am a big VPG fan. I also brought Trieste from them which hit the table Sunday morning. Fun 3 person only medieval era card game. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/148291/trieste

6/19/2015 8:05 pm  #57

Thanks for the pictures! Looks like a lot of fun. By the way - the "Hill Cantons blog guy" is named Chris Kutalik. 

6/20/2015 1:12 am  #58

Chainsaw - was there anyone else at the Con that took a bunch of pics and posted them somewhere? I havent seen many others, and I took zero (I need to upgrade my cell phone bad) thanks

6/20/2015 6:28 am  #59

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Thanks for the pictures! Looks like a lot of fun. By the way - the "Hill Cantons blog guy" is named Chris Kutalik. 

My pleasure, Corey. Also, I corrected the reference for Chris. If anyone knows the other guys, I'm happy to list them by name. 

Scalydemon wrote:

Chainsaw - was there anyone else at the Con that took a bunch of pics and posted them somewhere? I havent seen many others, and I took zero (I need to upgrade my cell phone bad) thanks

There might be a few more in this thread at Knights & Knaves Alehouse, but I'm not aware of anyone else that posted a bunch anywhere. Don't recall seeing any in the NTRPG Con threads at Dragonsfoot, the Acaeum or the NTRPG Con forum.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.