!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/04/2015 12:26 am  #1

Khromarium Campaign Hooks?

I want to kick off Hyperborean campaign, and am trying to come up with satisfying hooks to tie together PCs in a Khromarium-based campaign. I find the generic "you meet in a tavern" kickoff unsatisfying, but don't want to enforce a railroad with a more contrived backgound.

What would be an appropriate Hyperborean focus to bring a disparate group of PCs together? Xathoqquan church sponsorship? Hired by a collector of antiques from subterranean ruins? Cult hunters from the Khromarium city watch?

6/04/2015 7:29 am  #2

Re: Khromarium Campaign Hooks?

I never use the tavern hook, typically you need an NPC sponsor for a mission though. The Xathoqquan priests would be a good one. A corrupt business man who owns a factory or a warehouse, the mercenary guilds of the watch, a rather sinister magician, are all others. I tend to work out what kind of adventures im going to prepare then decide how the players are going to get the mission.

As far as rail roading is concerned, you have two real options in any rpg. Before the campaign starts talk to the players about the kind of adventure or story they want, then prepare material around the results of that discussion. If they agree they want to be mercenaries employed by the Cult of Yug around the dark alleys of Khromarium then you prepare that and they actually do that, rather than hopping on a boat for Zangerios straight away. The players do get choices on the details through the decisions they make in game but the overal idea of the game is decided.
The second option is to go pure improvised sandbox and let the players do exactly what they want. This requires you to improvise most of your material but allows total freedom to the players. Theres no hint of rail roading, but usually there is no predesigned detail in any of the adventures. This option, in my experience, can often lead to infighting in the players too as they take their freedom for granted. Second, in adventure fiction, the protagonist rarely has absolute freedom.

6/04/2015 8:10 am  #3

I strongly prefer to begin a campaign with action, something like, "You are walking through the bazaar, lingering over some of the more interesting obsidian carvings from Krimmea.  Suddenly a mob of screaming fanatics bursts on the scene, attacking with scimitars pulled from their flame-emblazoned black robes."  After the attack, the surviving PCs will want to know who attacked them and why, and there's your adventure.  That's the way REH did it!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/04/2015 8:27 am  #4

And since it's Hyperborea, whatever the set-up is, it's fun to tie it to uniquely Hyperborean things--the calendar, the festivals, and celestial cycle, and so on.

6/04/2015 9:32 am  #5

Blackadder23 wrote:

I strongly prefer to begin a campaign with action, something like, "You are walking through the bazaar, lingering over some of the more interesting obsidian carvings from Krimmea.  Suddenly a mob of screaming fanatics bursts on the scene, attacking with scimitars pulled from their flame-emblazoned black robes."  After the attack, the surviving PCs will want to know who attacked them and why, and there's your adventure.  That's the way REH did it!

never done this, never occured to me, but a good idea. For some reason i always felt the need to have the players offered an adventure in someway.

6/04/2015 10:25 am  #6

I have seriously started adventures with "You are crawling through the desert with 1 hp, no water, and riddled with arrows, having been ambushed and left for dead" and "You were sheltering in a cave and the entrance collapsed during the night, trapping you" and even "You wake up nailed in a coffin and buried alive".  That instantly raises the stakes light years beyond "you're sitting around have a mug at the local tavern and some guy offers you a job".  I wouldn't start every adventure that way, but as an occasional tool it really gets the attention of players.  I don't consider it a railroad because I just give them the starting point - where they go from there is up to them.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

6/04/2015 7:38 pm  #7

Your wisdom is great Blackadder23 

6/04/2015 9:08 pm  #8

I've done a similar thing in my campaign. It wasn't an instant action scenario, but an event occurred external to the PCs - how (or whether) they responded was entirely up to them, but it was weird enough that they wanted to.

My experience with AS&SH has been that the adventures tend to write themselves. If you can capture the mood of the gazetteer you're good to go. 

6/04/2015 11:46 pm  #9

The_Great_Lestrade wrote:

Your wisdom is great Blackadder23 

Quoted for truth.

And reported for spam!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.