!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/22/2015 11:32 am  #1

Mad Max - Fury Road!

Now if this isn't a film that inspires Hyperborean adventuring weirdness I don't know what would. Absolutely beautiful film that went from one seat gripping scene to the next. I enjoyed every second of it in the theatre. If you haven't seen it yet YOU MUST see it in the theatre for the full experience. I can't wait to get it on Blu-Ray so I can see all the extended and deleted scenes, along with being able to pause to enjoy all wonderful art design dripping (or in this case "vrooming") off the screen. 

I couldnt help but imagine all the vehicles replaced with horses, camels, mammoths, pterodactyls, and velociraptors in making one helluva AS&SH adventure! GO SEE IT! And if you have seen it, what were your thoughts?

Last edited by GritGrimdark (5/22/2015 11:33 am)

5/23/2015 4:08 pm  #2

Re: Mad Max - Fury Road!

Mrs. Chainsaw and I just finished watching the 2D version. We both thought it was pretty good, but nothing earth-shatteringly awesome that we need to see again immediately or anything. As with just about any movie, there were a few things I would have done differently or omitted. Overall, I'd say it's a solid action flick and worthy addition to the franchise.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

5/23/2015 8:40 pm  #3

Yeah, I'd like to see it. OK to take a 13-year old to?

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/24/2015 6:33 am  #4

Ghul wrote:

Hmmm... I guess it probably depends on the child's own maturity level and what he's seen so far. I saw Nightmare on Elm Street and The Road Warrior in the fourth grade, when I was nine. By the time I was 13, my parents basically had basically thrown in the towel and were letting me rent anything that I wanted, so I'd seen it all and rented every violent, depraved 70s exploitation flick out there (explains a lot, I know).

The plot is basically that Furiosa (Charlize Theron) tries to rescue the warlord Immortan Joe's sex slaves/breeders and then he chases her down with his army of crazies. Mad Max happens to be caught up in the chase and reluctantly helps Furiosa (shocker!). So, out of the gate, the premise is a sex-slave rescue. After that, the whole movie's basically one long chase scene filled with countless car crashes and horrible deaths. Many, many people get beaten, stabbed, mangled, burned, shot with arrows and guns, run over, blown up and other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. It's bloody and it's recurring. As for sex/sexual violence, there's nothing as graphic as the rape scene in the original Road Warrior, but a pregnant woman does get run over in one scene and someone later cuts her baby out of her stomach to see if it's still alive. We also see some shirtless fat women with their boobs hooked up to milking machines early on, before the chase gets started. At one point, there's a nipply "wet t-shirt" moment with Immortan Joe's "wives." Last, late in the movie, there's a scene with a naked woman chained up on an old powerline tower as bait, but you can't really see much except her butt.

5/24/2015 6:47 am  #5

Chainsaw wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Hmmm... I guess it probably depends on the child's own maturity level and what he's seen so far. I saw Nightmare on Elm Streetand The Road Warrior in the fourth grade, when I was nine. By the time I was 13, my parents basically had basically thrown in the towel and were letting me rent anything that I wanted, so I'd seen it all and rented every violent, depraved 70s exploitation flick out there (explains a lot, I know).

The plot is basically that Furiosa (Charlize Theron) tries to rescue the warlord Immortan Joe's sex slaves/breeders and then he chases her down with his army of crazies. Mad Max happens to be caught up in the chase and reluctantly helps Furiosa (shocker!). So, out of the gate, the premise is a sex-slave rescue. After that, the whole movie's basically one long chase scene filled with countless car crashes and horrible deaths. Many, many people get beaten, stabbed, mangled, burned, shot with arrows and guns, run over, blown up and other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. It's bloody and it's recurring. As for sex/sexual violence, there's nothing as graphic as the rape scene in the original Road Warrior, but a pregnant woman does get run over in one scene and someone later cuts her baby out of her stomach to see if it's still alive. We also see some shirtless fat women with their boobs hooked up to milking machines early on, before the chase gets started. At one point, there's a nipply "wet t-shirt" moment with Immortan Joe's "wives." Last, late in the movie, there's a scene with a naked woman chained up on an old powerline tower as bait, but you can't really see much except her butt.

Hmm, OK, thanks for all the info. I'll have to think on that. Probably going to hold off and simply see it for myself.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/24/2015 6:56 am  #6

Ghul wrote:

Hmm, OK, thanks for all the info. I'll have to think on that. Probably going to hold off and simply see it for myself.

When I asked Mrs. Chainsaw if she'd be fine with our son watching it when he's 13, of course she immediately said no... but you know how moms are. She thinks he's going to watch Sesame Street until he's 18. As for me, it's hard to say. Probably depends on what he's like then. Like you said, watching it for yourself first probably makes the most sense.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.