!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/18/2015 6:54 pm  #21

Re: Backstabbing

Hey, even my players don't make that much use of hirelings and henchmen, I think because the H&Hs die all the time. Which to me seems like a feature rather than a bug in that the PCs aren't the ones dying . . .

2/18/2015 6:58 pm  #22

It's pretty funny.

PC: "Hey I'll give you 3gp to come into this dungeon with me."
Hireling 1: "Yeah okay, I'm starving man, I need the money!"

-------
2 days later...

PC: "Hey I'll give you 3gp to come into this dungeon with me"
Hireling 2: "What happened to my friend?"
PC: "Oh...you know...he didn't make it."
Hireling 2: "Yeah okay, I'm starving man, I need the money!"

2/18/2015 7:08 pm  #23

I think the guilt starts getting to them.

2/18/2015 7:25 pm  #24

In one of my AD&D campaigns, all of the hirelings came from a guild called "The Red Cloaks".

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

2/18/2015 7:26 pm  #25

Blackadder23 wrote:

In one of my AD&D campaigns, all of the hirelings came from a guild called "The Red Cloaks".

Are they at all similar to the guild called "The Red Shirts"?

2/18/2015 9:20 pm  #26

Great feedback, my friends. Lots of food for thought!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

2/19/2015 6:47 am  #27

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Yeah sure, it is about the game you want to play. The thief gets fairly quick level progression compared with other classes, which is a great perk, plus their abilities are very useful in a dungeon/urban context. I really enjoy the thief personally. I've played cleric-less games, and do not mind breaking outside the realm of archetypical parties, but I do think the game has to work for the players too. I would rather hand out a few extra backstabs every now and then, than have a party constantly dying. But you're right: it is an ability that is best handled sparingly. 

Situational for me as well.  Thats why they have those other skills to go ahead and get in position.  Back stab gets used a lot more when the party plans for it.

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/25/2015 7:20 pm  #28

I'm much more liberal with backstabs personally. In the described situation, I'd probably have the thief roll a hide in shadows check and then, if successful a move silently check with a hefty bonus since the other group would not know where he is coming from and if that fails, a suprise check. Then if all that fails, no backstab, otherwise I'd still give them a chance, they still have to hit. Thieves are prone to miss a lot of the time anyway, so I think my ruling is pretty fair.

4/25/2015 8:41 pm  #29

Devinbattery wrote:

I'm much more liberal with backstabs personally. In the described situation, I'd probably have the thief roll a hide in shadows check and then, if successful a move silently check with a hefty bonus since the other group would not know where he is coming from and if that fails, a suprise check. Then if all that fails, no backstab, otherwise I'd still give them a chance, they still have to hit. Thieves are prone to miss a lot of the time anyway, so I think my ruling is pretty fair.

I waffle on this myself, Devin. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Also, welcome aboard.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/26/2015 12:27 am  #30

Thanks, hopefully I'll get started playing soon!

4/26/2015 2:42 am  #31

Welcome to the board Devin!

4/28/2015 9:46 am  #32

I adjudicate this on a case by case basis.  In combat, sometimes it is viable to sneak up on somebody, other times it isn't.  Sometimes the fray itself diverts attention, and helps the thief move unnoticed.  On other occassions, the heightened level of alertness works against the thief.  Suffice to say, you have to really explain well what you are doing to me before I even consider picking up the dice and rolling them.

Blackadder23 wrote:

I had one like that, too.  The Redshirts.  They were the hired muscle in my campaign, and all wore scarlet-stained chain shirts, and were badasses.  It was really a cruel joke on my players at the time.

Last edited by francisca (4/28/2015 9:49 am)

12/16/2017 10:12 am  #33

Thread Resurrection!

Reading this thread I realize I'm super liberal with backstabbing! 
We have an assassin and a henchman thief in the party (both played by the same player) and I allow more pulp/cinematic use of backstabbing. Basically, if there is a good description and good cover during combat I'll let thief types roll hide or move silently to slip off for a round and maneuver in for a backstab if the combat warrants. It creates a nice tactical element for the thief player to watch and take advantage of. To me, it makes them naturally play like a rogue, which is pretty cool.

Not saying this is better than the old school thief way. We just have a lot of combat and action in our games and it gives the thief types something to do.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood" -REH
Rambling Conan Blog

1/16/2023 10:27 pm  #34

Question about Assassin’s “Snipe” ability.
If requirements are met and assassination roll fails.
Would you allow it to still be a backstab? I know the rules doesn’t say it but I would be inclined to allow it.

Also, has anyone ever used the pick pockets ability as a sleight of hand cover up for a surprise backstab during parlay?

1/16/2023 11:15 pm  #35

Vetus Miles wrote:

Question about Assassin’s “Snipe” ability.
If requirements are met and assassination roll fails.
Would you allow it to still be a backstab? I know the rules doesn’t say it but I would be inclined to allow it.

It actually does say, on page 95: "Normal backstab damage rules per the thief class apply if the result is a hit but not an automatic assassination." Nothing under the Sniper Attack description suggests it works any differently than any other assassination attempt, so this would apply IMO.

Vetus Miles wrote:

Also, has anyone ever used the pick pockets ability as a sleight of hand cover up for a surprise backstab during parlay?

I wouldn't allow an assassination attempt against someone on his guard under any circumstances. I don't even allow backstabbing in combat unless the backstabber is genuinely hidden before combat even begins. These are primarily noncombat actions IMO.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.