!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2015 2:09 pm  #41

Re: Hyperborea Trivia

Handy Haversack wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Ynas Midgard wrote:

I find it interesting how low the chances are for rolling a Bard or Paladin, let alone a Berserker.

Using Method I, yes. We use Method III and Attribute Adjustment, so people generally play what they want.

We roll 2d6 straight with automatic disease and anti-magic lice, at least according to J's stories at GaryCon.

Yeah, but all those +0 magical weapons more than compensate, right?

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/13/2015 2:12 pm  #42

Chainsaw wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Using Method I, yes. We use Method III and Attribute Adjustment, so people generally play what they want.

We roll 2d6 straight with automatic disease and anti-magic lice, at least according to J's stories at GaryCon.

Yeah, but all those +0 magical weapons more than compensate, right?

And then some!

4/13/2015 2:24 pm  #43

Chainsaw wrote:

Using Method I, yes. We use Method III and Attribute Adjustment, so people play what they want.

That's the method I used for rolling the stats for Waifs of the Boreas.  Out of 288 sets of scores I only had to reroll maybe three - all of them bards.  I had no trouble rolling paladins or berserkers - although I did have to make some of them kind of stupid.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/14/2015 7:40 am  #44

What test is needed to break free from most forms of unarmed combat?

What? Me worry?

4/14/2015 7:41 am  #45

A simple test of strength (d6).

4/14/2015 7:52 am  #46

winner winner chicken dinner.

What? Me worry?

4/14/2015 8:03 am  #47

gizmomathboy wrote:

winner winner chicken dinner.

Speaking of which . . .

The full pulsing light of both moons seemed to barely touch the creatures as they crept out of the forest depths: huge, eight-legged, silent, venom dripping along their black chitin. Now the terrible priests reached a frenzy of vile adoration, calling out in their barbarous tounge--and worse, oh, horribly worse, for new voices reached me--the very fowl that the priests had gathered and which they herded now toward the monsters of the nighted woods called out--in human voice! Ay, their gabbled cacophony echoed back from those dark trees, from the lurid heavens, both of which now seemed somehow to watch, to know. And horror, oh, horror, for the voices of those birds as they were herded forward in seemingly willing sacrifice to those eldritch beasts--their voices were exact imitations of the priests who beat them forward into the waiting venomous mouths! Noble ancestors, preserve your lesser spawn, for madness now beckons me beneath that rock, under those silent and shadowy trees. Oh, gods of Hyperborea--where am I?!

Where indeed?

4/14/2015 8:51 am  #48

Ptarmigan Rock.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/14/2015 8:59 am  #49

Sure is! Though I have a real good feeling about this Pict sacrifical rite thing like.

You're up, BA23.

4/14/2015 10:20 am  #50

Three types of monster are capable of having actual character classes.  What are they?

(By "having character classes" I don't mean just leaders with more hit dice.  I mean these monsters can function in various character classes at various levels.)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/14/2015 10:57 am  #51

Colour out of space, deer, and otyugh!

No?

How about ape-men, cave-men, and snake-men?

(And scorpiooids of Xin!)

4/14/2015 11:24 am  #52

Close.  Cave-men can't gain levels BTB (although I allowed it when my players were in the Ice Age).

There's one more monster that can gain levels by the book.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/14/2015 12:22 pm  #53

Oh! Oon! Sneaky, sneaky oon.

4/14/2015 12:30 pm  #54

Correct.

Your turn!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/14/2015 12:49 pm  #55

(I checked; I guess this must have made me think cave-men could gain levels as shaman: "Their shamans (male or female) can advance to 6th level.")

What is the name of the living god worshiped by a tribe of savage cannibal Picts who mix lotus leaves into the flesh of their victims and so drive themselves into orgiastic frenzies of violence?

For extra credit, what is the name of the island where they dwell?

4/14/2015 1:05 pm  #56

I know this one, but I'm going to give other people a chance.

(Good point about cave-shamans.  I guess that makes four types of monster that can gain levels as characters.  Also, I was accidentally following the rules after all when I allowed a cave-shaman.  Who knew?)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/14/2015 1:07 pm  #57

Blackadder23 wrote:

I know this one, but I'm going to give other people a chance.

(Good point about cave-shamans.  I guess that makes four types of monster that can gain levels as characters.  Also, I was accidentally following the rules after all when I allowed a cave-shaman.  Who knew?)

(Right? And isn't it just like the oon to sneak past me at first. I tell ya, BA23, you can't trust nobody!)

4/14/2015 8:41 pm  #58

Handy Haversack wrote:

What is the name of the living god worshiped by a tribe of savage cannibal Picts who mix lotus leaves into the flesh of their victims and so drive themselves into orgiastic frenzies of violence?

For extra credit, what is the name of the island where they dwell?

Onja Cot

4/14/2015 9:00 pm  #59

I'm going to go ahead and give the extra credit because I can Internet hear how smug you are about it!

Go, Chainsaw, go!

4/14/2015 9:06 pm  #60

Handy Haversack wrote:

I'm going to go ahead and give the extra credit because I can Internet hear how smug you are about it!

Well, first, let me thank BA23 for not answering. Second, I want to thank... well, nevermind.

So, another easy one - what two monsters listed in the Bestiary often employ futuristic range weapons?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.