!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2015 9:27 pm  #1

Minifigs - Sword & Sorcery - vintage minis

Wouldn''t it be cool to own a well painted set of these to game with? There is a blurb by Gary Gygax in the Strategic Review Issue#4, Winter 1975 about these. I found pics of a few of them and they look quite vintage but cool in a way.http://www.bluemule.co.uk/bluemule2_000009.htm  Imagine it would cost a few platinum to acquire....dare to dream....

Sword and SorcerySword & Sorcery PersonalitiesSS1Vampire GirlSSX1The BarbarianSS2ReptilianSSX2The Barbarian WarriorSS3ReptilianSSX3Pirate GirlSS4Warrior PrincessSSX4WitchSS5Skeleton WarriorSSX5ArabSS6Frost Giant's DaughterSSX6PoofdahSS7Frost Giant  SS8Vanaheim Spearman  SS9Vanaheim Swordsman  SS10Vanaheim Archer  SS11Witch of the Mists  SS12Faceless Man  SS13Faceless Man  SS14Shemite Spearman  SS15Shemite Officer  SS16Cimmerian Chieftain  SS17Cimmerian Spearman  SS18Cimmerian Swordsman  SS19Black Amazon  SS20Pirate  SS21Great White Ape  SS22Stygian Magician  SS23Zamporan Archer  SS24Zamporan Spearman  SS25Zamporan Swordsman  SS26Zamporan Chieftan  SS27Zamporan Town Guard  SS28Kushite Spearman  SS29Kushite Officer  SS30Stygian Wizard  SS31Stygian Bowman  SS32Marching Longbowman  SS33Marching Officer  SS34Border Pikeman  SS35Border Officer  SS36Border Standard Bearer  SS37Black Dragoon with Halberd  SS38Ghoul  SS39Mid-Western Crossbowman  SS40Mid-Western Officer  SS41Mid-Western Spearman  SS42Mid-Western Swordsman  SS43Native Spearman  SS44Native Javelinman  SS45Native Chief  SS46Giant Serpent  SS47Slimeman  SS48Cyclops  SS49Gargoyle  SS50Pict Light Infantry  SS51Pict Archer  SS52Pict Wizard  SS53Pict War Chief  SS54Hyrkranian Bowman  SS55Hyrkranian Spearman  SS56Hyrkranian Chieftan  SS57Khojan Archer  SS58Khojan Spearman  SS59Khojan Swordsman  SS60.Khojan Chief  SS61Ogre  SS62Vandan Spearman  SS63Vandan Archer  SS64Vandan Officer  SS65Vandan Standard Bearer  SS66Western Wizard  SS67Eastern Wizard  SS68Amazon Bow Woman  SS69Amazon Spear Woman  SS70Giant Crab  SS71Wyvern  SS72Hippogriff  SS73Mummy  SS74Gorgon  SS75Medusa  SS76Hydra  SS77Eastern Spearman  SS78Eastern Swordsman  SS79Eastern Officer  SS80Winged Man  SS81Zamporan Tavern Keeper  SS82Zamporan Civilian - Seated  SS83Zamporan Civilian  SS84Zamporan Noble  SS85Zamporan Slave/Civilian  SS86Zamporan Wench - Seated  SS87Zamporan Thief  SS88Tavern Table  SS89Tavern Bench & Stool  SS90Tavern Accessories   

Last edited by Scalydemon (3/02/2015 9:34 pm)

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

3/03/2015 9:10 am  #2

Re: Minifigs - Sword & Sorcery - vintage minis

Now those are truly old school! Cool stuff

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

3/03/2015 11:59 pm  #3

I have got a box full of minis from that era, into the mid eighties, in a box on the shelf. Several hundred dollars spent on them and all unpainted. All lead or pewter, covering most standard fantasy beasties including several of the iconic d&d dragon 'colors'.  I just never seemed to get in the mood to paint them.
Think they would be worth anything?

3/04/2015 6:53 am  #4

I sold a bunch of minis about ten years ago, mostly Ral Partha, but didn't get back what I paid. That said, there are some collectible figures out there. Ral Partha had a line of iconic TSR characters that seems to command some value... wish I still had those.

3/04/2015 8:22 am  #5

A few years ago I managed to find eight or nine of these boxes in a second-hand store in Queens:

http://www.dndlead.com/grenadier/2000s.htm

I was pretty happy with it! Also a box of CoC figures.

3/04/2015 1:04 pm  #6

Miniatures are so cool - I got a complete set of the OW Minis as part of their Kickstarter and love them. Too bad I have no time to paint. I barely have time to prepare for my own game...

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

3/04/2015 3:03 pm  #7

I only own the pre-painted WOTC minis. Some of them are pretty cool, and eliminates spending time painting (which I don't enjoy that much), but they lack the old school appeal.

3/04/2015 4:24 pm  #8

Chainsaw wrote:

Miniatures are so cool - I got a complete set of the OW Minis as part of their Kickstarter and love them. Too bad I have no time to paint. I barely have time to prepare for my own game...

Same here. Back in the 90s I used to love to paint them, but then the non-painted ones started building up, and then I stopped buying them altogether. They've never really been an important component of my game.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/04/2015 4:26 pm  #9

Rastus_Burne wrote:

I only own the pre-painted WOTC minis. Some of them are pretty cool, and eliminates spending time painting (which I don't enjoy that much), but they lack the old school appeal.

Some of them were pretty cool. Years ago I bought 25 copies of this were-bear holding an axe. I imagine they could make a good troop of Viking berserkers in bear form.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/04/2015 4:41 pm  #10

Ghul wrote:

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Some of them were pretty cool. Years ago I bought 25 copies of this were-bear holding an axe. I imagine they could make a good troop of Viking berserkers in bear form.

Some of the new 5e ones are pretty rad actually. There's a barbarian which would make a good viking.

Last edited by Rastus_Burne (3/04/2015 4:41 pm)

3/04/2015 5:43 pm  #11

One of the few things my sister managed to preserve of my childhood gaming stuff was my box of minis, which she sent my way. We play with them now. We don't use them in any strict way--just to get a sense of position and relative distance. The monsters are a combination of keyboard keys and stuff I got out of a pin~ata. But the minis . . . well, young Handy was not skilled in painting, but he made up for it in enthusiasm and an utter refusal to bow to reality. Pastel minotaurs! Silver skin to match the armor! Apparently rampan leprosy! All in play.

I'm really good at coloring in dice, I swear.

3/06/2015 1:18 pm  #12

I've really gotten into the minis produced by red-box-games.com lately. His stuff has a very gritty, semi-realistic vibe, eschewing the trend towards the "Wayne Renolds" look that seems to be so popular nowadays.

3/06/2015 2:35 pm  #13

NAJones wrote:

I've really gotten into the minis produced by red-box-games.com lately. His stuff has a very gritty, semi-realistic vibe, eschewing the trend towards the "Wayne Renolds" look that seems to be so popular nowadays.

Nice stuff! I think that it's out of my price range for minis, as I'm more in the "$10 for a big box? OK!" or, better, inherit them from my childhood self mode. But very cool.

3/06/2015 5:47 pm  #14

NAJones wrote:

Those are really nice! I like the detail and they have a nice aesthetic that far exceeds a lot of the current minis available. Reaper some cool ones for Deadlands and the like. 

3/08/2015 8:40 am  #15

NAJones wrote:

Red Box produces some very nice minis. Some other companies that are putting out some fabulous work include Nocturna and Cool Mini or Not... both can be a bit pricey.

Like you guys, I used to paint all the time. I was really into doing customs of Star Wars miniatures for the WotC game, but I just kind of dropped off about 5 years ago or so. I'm wondering if my customs thread is still up...

EDIT... and here it is http://www.bloomilk.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=5098

Last edited by joseph (3/08/2015 8:55 am)

3/11/2015 7:25 pm  #16

I suck at painting minis.. Awhile back I chatted with the former DF Mod 'Egg of Coot' about hiring him to paint me some choice minis (was looking at Otherworld), but it hasn't happened yet.

He lives in eastern Canada, so shipping lead back and forth multiple times is a bit of a barrier, and then when he left DF he became harder to correspond with.

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

4/06/2015 8:01 am  #17

I found some great "old school" minis at otherworld miniatures in the UK - a bit pricey, but for me they are worth it.  They have an awesome "Demon Idol" mini that pays homage to Trampier's AD&D PHB cover art.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.