!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2015 8:36 am  #1

Melville

Moby-D|ck, chap. 3 wrote:

A boggy, soggy, squitchy picture truly, enough to drive a nervous man distracted. Yet there was a sort of indefinite, half-attained, unimaginable sublimity about it that fairly froze you to it, till you involuntarily took an oath with yourself to find out what that marvellous painting meant. Ever and anon a bright, but, alas, deceptive idea would dart you through.—It’s the Black Sea in a midnight gale.—It’s the unnatural combat of the four primal elements.—It’s a blasted heath.—It’s a Hyperborean winter scene.—It’s the breaking-up of the ice-bound stream of Time. But at last all these fancies yielded to that one portentous something in the picture’s midst. That once found out, and all the rest were plain. But stop; does it not bear a faint resemblance to a gigantic fish? even the great Leviathan himself?

Welcome to Hyperborea, Mr. Melville.

(PS: I had to get creative with the book's title to avoid the auto-censors!)

2/12/2015 11:44 pm  #2

Re: Melville

Had I stayed in my program, I would have written my dissertation on Melville (or Lovecraft). 

Moby-d*** is full of genius!

2/13/2015 6:03 am  #3

Great post, Handy. I had no recollection of Melville citing Hyperborea, as I read the book in high school.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/19/2015 11:46 pm  #4

Eeek! Bad memories of name calling in grade school..

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

3/20/2015 7:28 am  #5

Scalydemon wrote:

Eeek! Bad memories of name calling in grade school..

You weren't helping yourself by always hanging around with that Queequeg kid!

3/20/2015 8:18 am  #6

My favorite Melville story is "Bartleby the Scrivener".  It's an excellent guide to modern business as well - it's amazing how much work one can avoid through polite intransigence.

(Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.  Following my advice may get you beaten or fired.)

Last edited by Blackadder23 (3/20/2015 8:19 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

4/04/2015 1:00 am  #7

Hmmmm.  "The Piazza" is definitely my favorite short story of Melville's (although he wrote several good oens), and Typee, Mardi, M-D, and The Confidence Man, are my favorite among his novels.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.