!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/06/2015 2:33 pm  #1

Movement conversions

Has anyone come up with an easy formula for movement conversions to other systems? Clearly, a 40 MV shoulld equal an AD&D 12" or (I think) a 40' from B/X, right? But in this crazy mixed-up world of ours where one is pulling supplements and monsters and areas and modules from all over the place, I find this is the one thing I have more trouble converting on the fly from older and OSR products (except those that just use descriptive terms).

If 40 MV = 12", does 30 = 9", 20 = 6", and 10 = 3"? That sounds right to me from encumbrance. AS&SH MV = AD&D MV"/10 X 3. But other systems confuse me more, though that's not hard to do. There are a lot of S&W products out there or things statted for that system. Anyone have a sense of how movement rates work in it?

3/06/2015 5:54 pm  #2

Re: Movement conversions

This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

AD&D = works in inches and yards (but inches x10 to work out feet)
3e-5e = works in feet (usually a character can move 30ft by default)
AS&SH = MV
Savage Worlds = 6" = 12 yards per round. 

Haha, it all gets very confusing. I usually just approximate when doing conversions. Between systems, depending on round length most characters can move around 40 feet, so something around there becomes my standard. But I try to play as BtB as possible for whatever individual system I'm using. 

3/06/2015 7:56 pm  #3

Your numbers look good, Handy.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/07/2015 3:16 am  #4

Ghul wrote:

Excellent. This is what I want tattooed on my gravestone.

3/07/2015 8:16 am  #5

Handy Haversack wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Excellent. This is what I want tattooed on my gravestone.

Have you ever seen Leslie Neilsen's?

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

9/13/2018 11:53 am  #6

Resurrecting an old thread here; 

I have a waterborne movement question for the group.

Here is the scenario; "A crew of 17 men sail their Viking Knarr in calm seas with good winds, at a moderate speed (They are not exactly in a hurry so we will assume move/round is 90). A surprise check is rolled and indicated a giant squid has decided to attack." 

The Viking Knarr moves 90'/round at this speed, the squid swims at 60'/round. The difference is 30'/round making the chance of evasion 16:20. (pg 274 table 109)

My question is this, does the squid even get a chance at attacking due to the suprise and the movement rate? Or does the Viking Knarr just move too fast for it to even get a swipe (Assuming they role a 16 or less on their evasion.) I cannot seem to wrap my mind around how a ship can evade a sea creature, even at full sail. 

Maybe I am missing something. Any help would be great. 

Last edited by mavfire (9/13/2018 11:55 am)

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

9/13/2018 4:58 pm  #7

mavfire wrote:

Here is the scenario; "A crew of 17 men sail their Viking Knarr in calm seas with good winds, at a moderate speed (They are not exactly in a hurry so we will assume move/round is 90). A surprise check is rolled and indicated a giant squid has decided to attack." 

The Viking Knarr moves 90'/round at this speed, the squid swims at 60'/round. The difference is 30'/round making the chance of evasion 16:20. (pg 274 table 109)

My question is this, does the squid even get a chance at attacking due to the suprise and the movement rate? Or does the Viking Knarr just move too fast for it to even get a swipe (Assuming they role a 16 or less on their evasion.) I cannot seem to wrap my mind around how a ship can evade a sea creature, even at full sail. 

If the squid surprised the ship, I'd rule it attacks before any evasion is possible, and given the disparate speeds, almost certainly from the front: i.e., the pleasure-cruising Vikings sailed right over it. Only after (assuming the squid hadn't grappled the ship) would I allow the evasion roll.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

9/14/2018 9:36 am  #8

mavfire wrote:

The Sea Creature could double move at 120 and charge the ship.  They would also be able to detect the ship at some distance and position itself to attack very effectively.  I really don't picture the ship being able to evade the Giant Squid in any realistic way. 

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

9/14/2018 11:40 am  #9

Rialto: thanks.

Mabon: ah i had not even considered that the squid could double its movemnt. Good point! Thank you much, and i agree i dont see any ship being able to out run/maneuver any large sea creature!

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.