!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/15/2015 4:25 pm  #41

Re: The Next Three Modules

grodog wrote:

k2h2m3 wrote:

Jeff, I always find it amusing that you always dismiss your skill in making hand drawn maps as yours are by far some of the best I have ever seen IMHO.

Seconded:  your CZ maps were marvels to behold, Jeff :D

You guys are too kind, really. Thank you so much!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

2/15/2015 5:17 pm  #42

Thanks for the lovely comments everyone.  Jeff's maps were so good, I wondered why he even needed me

Build it, and they will come.

2/17/2015 1:39 am  #43

The maps are very easy to read and find what you are looking for. Not too much and not too little. Just right amount of detail and very clear. Very nice job on the maps!

2/17/2015 7:06 pm  #44

Well said stahlnee! Glynn's map work is absolutely excellent!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

2/18/2015 1:32 am  #45

Hey Ghul, have you decided on the shipping rates for overseas Kickstarter supporters? ;)

2/19/2015 12:15 am  #46

So when does the kickstarter start?
I don't want to miss out on this one.

2/19/2015 6:52 am  #47

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Hey Ghul, have you decided on the shipping rates for overseas Kickstarter supporters? ;)

I was doing some package weight projections just this week, but I don't have all the information yet, so I'm a little reluctant to say this, but it looks like it might be about a +$15. But don't quote me, please. I have to get all the materials on the scale.

2/19/2015 6:54 am  #48

famouswolf wrote:

So when does the kickstarter start?
I don't want to miss out on this one.

I was hoping to launch before this weekend's gaming convention (Total Con), but now I'm aiming for some time in the next 10-14 days. I'll be sure to announce it at all the usual channels. Thanks for your interest!

2/19/2015 3:00 pm  #49

Ghul wrote:

Rastus_Burne wrote:

I was doing some package weight projections just this week, but I don't have all the information yet, so I'm a little reluctant to say this, but it looks like it might be about a +$15. But don't quote me, please. I have to get all the materials on the scale.

In order to write this reply I had to quote you...sorry! No but seriously, do you imagine that's per booklet or would that suffice for all three?

2/19/2015 4:32 pm  #50

Im really looking forward to this, terrifically exciting stuff :D  I love seeing stuff I've worked on in print - it makes me happier than an unloved orc child playing with his first severed hand....

2/22/2015 5:25 pm  #51

Got to see one of the maps in person, fantastic stuff!

2/22/2015 6:53 pm  #52

I think Jeff has a plan for that ;-)

2/23/2015 10:00 am  #53

Indeed! I printed the players' map for Isle of the Serpent, and it was excellent. k2h2m3 was in that game (TOTALCON XXIX).

2/23/2015 10:01 am  #54

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Ghul wrote:

Rastus_Burne wrote:

In order to write this reply I had to quote you...sorry! No but seriously, do you imagine that's per booklet or would that suffice for all three?

All three, RB.

2/23/2015 3:22 pm  #55

Excellent!

3/02/2015 10:16 pm  #56

It's time for a kickstarter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3/03/2015 6:41 am  #57

famouswolf wrote:

It's time for a kickstarter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know! I'm caught in a Perfect Storm the likes of which even George Clooney could scarcely navigate: sold our house, bought a house, in a rush to pack and move and arrange everything the needs to be handled; Gary Con preparation, product needs to be shipped to the con, having new signage made, putting together a swag bag special booklet; the Kickstarter -- it must be launched before Gary Con because I want it live at the con.

Last edited by Ghul (3/03/2015 6:43 am)

3/03/2015 11:50 pm  #58

Yep, moves are baaaaaaad. Our family just had to pitch in and help my mother in law (89) move into an assisted living condominium type place. I think we still haven't completely unpacked from our last move, either.
For the record, George couldn't do anything but what he did in the movie...sink.
I am looking forward to those modules. Your game is capturing me and taking me away from BRP style systems, which got too complex. About the only thing I am dissatisfied with are the background skills...I mean, what is the point of 'thatcher' or 'fuller'?
While I'm thinking about it, after the kickstarter when you begin on the hardback, could you consider slimming that background skill list down, and using Akrasia's vitality rules for hit points? Two of my few house rules, I just think they would add a little something to the game...

3/04/2015 6:47 am  #59

Point of fact... when I ran a one-shot of The Lamia's Heart, two characters rolled randomly and got roofer/thatcher. There were some jokes about how they met on a roofin' job, slappin' each other with the hot mops. In game terms it helped them locate a concealed roof hatch... you know, because of their familiarity with roofs. :-)

Last edited by joseph (3/04/2015 6:49 am)

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

3/04/2015 4:22 pm  #60

famouswolf wrote:

Yep, moves are baaaaaaad. Our family just had to pitch in and help my mother in law (89) move into an assisted living condominium type place. I think we still haven't completely unpacked from our last move, either.
For the record, George couldn't do anything but what he did in the movie...sink.
I am looking forward to those modules. Your game is capturing me and taking me away from BRP style systems, which got too complex. About the only thing I am dissatisfied with are the background skills...I mean, what is the point of 'thatcher' or 'fuller'?
While I'm thinking about it, after the kickstarter when you begin on the hardback, could you consider slimming that background skill list down, and using Akrasia's vitality rules for hit points? Two of my few house rules, I just think they would add a little something to the game...

Hello famouswolf,

Thank you for the kind words! I'm delighted to hear the game resonates with you, and you are spot-on regarding how painful it is to move. Yikes.

As far as your two questions go, I'm afraid I have to say negative on each of them. I peronally love the idea of a background being mundane. To an answer what the point is -- there is no point! The idea here is that background skills are something your character was doing before or during the early stages of becoming an adventurer. Sure, it may generate a "boring" occupation, but as joseph illustrated above, it does not have to mean that it's completely useless. Of course, the other option is to have a character select a background skill. I prefer the randomness, personally.

Now, as far as hit points and variant systems of vitality and so forth -- this sounds like a good opportunity for you to house rule the game and run it as you desire. I won't be changing the hp system, because that, in and of itself, implies an edition change, IMO. While I plan to include a few minor expansions to the game, such as some new classes, I have no plans to make radical rules changes. I know Akrasia is a very creative fellow and a good guy to boot, and I'm sure he's come up with a fantastic new way of handling things, but my intent is to remain traditional and consistent in this department. Again, feel free to house rule it, though!   

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.