!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2014 12:16 pm  #1

Tales of Brave Ulysses

Inspiring Illustrations Tales of Brave Ulysses
The Hellenic people of Hyperborea have carved out small city-states amid this chaotic and eldritch land, but they have not forgotten their past and no legend has greater meaning to a people lost from old Earth than the tales of Ulysses. In the centuries since they crossed the seas and found themselves trapped in this cold hard country countless ships and sailors have been lost striving to find a way to return to their fair Mediterranean home.
 Even today a great expedition is being prepared in the city of Ptolemides and adventurers and explorers from all over Hyperborea have come to join the legendary captain Eudoxus in this journey

3/14/2014 11:19 am  #2

Re: Tales of Brave Ulysses

Your use of the Hellenic people strays a bit from I'm doing in my own campaign, but I think it's excellent, Jason. You've really taken the bare framework of the Hyperborea setting and made it your own. This is the sort of thing we all did with Greyhawk, back in the day. 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/14/2014 12:54 pm  #3

Ghul wrote:

Your use of the Hellenic people strays a bit from I'm doing in my own campaign, but I think it's excellent, Jason. You've really taken the bare framework of the Hyperborea setting and made it your own. This is the sort of thing we all did with Greyhawk, back in the day. 

I don't know why a Hellenic city-state came into being for my own Hyperborean campaign I(it replaced pprt greely so I will have to do some changes with your upcoming adventure). 

I've said it before, but your Hyperborea strikes me in just the same way as Gygax's Greyhawk. I don't think it could be done in any other way except with something so open and inviting for DM expansion and development as well as embracing the vast and amazing literary heritage of CAS, Lovecraft, Howard and all the other writers of the strange, weird and fanatstic as you've managed to do with AS&SH and Hyperborea. 

Right now I am mostly adding my recent work of ideas and inspiration as well as snippets and starts of adventures, but I will, for good or evil, be posting new ideas and finishing adventures started and left in pause while I complete a few porjects that now demand a great portion of my tiime and attention. So I know you will be familiar with most of what I'm foisting on your forum.

Hopefully people will find these posts at least interesting but I like to think that there will be some ideas of use or inspirations sparked from what I have found to be inspiring. 

3/14/2014 2:27 pm  #4

JasonZavoda wrote:

Ghul wrote:

I don't know why a Hellenic city-state came into being for my own Hyperborean campaign I(it replaced pprt greely so I will have to do some changes with your upcoming adventure). 

I've said it before, but your Hyperborea strikes me in just the same way as Gygax's Greyhawk. I don't think it could be done in any other way except with something so open and inviting for DM expansion and development as well as embracing the vast and amazing literary heritage of CAS, Lovecraft, Howard and all the other writers of the strange, weird and fanatstic as you've managed to do with AS&SH and Hyperborea. 

Right now I am mostly adding my recent work of ideas and inspiration as well as snippets and starts of adventures, but I will, for good or evil, be posting new ideas and finishing adventures started and left in pause while I complete a few porjects that now demand a great portion of my tiime and attention. So I know you will be familiar with most of what I'm foisting on your forum.

Hopefully people will find these posts at least interesting but I like to think that there will be some ideas of use or inspirations sparked from what I have found to be inspiring. 

I find your posts interesting, for the record. 

I placed a Hellenic city-state on Phobos in the shadow of the alleged home of Artemis.  They  currently struggle under the taint of otherworldly experimentation and wield devices of great and ancient power.

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/14/2014 5:14 pm  #5

Thanks Morgan, it is great to hear that.

Tell us more about these devices of great and ancient power.

3/16/2014 4:46 pm  #6

JasonZavoda wrote:

Thanks Morgan, it is great to hear that.

Tell us more about these devices of great and ancient power.

Phobos was a depository for weapons used in the ancient wars of the elder races.  One such weapon was “The Sword in the Moon”, a device that could obliterate red orb if not handled correctly.  The locals had the device set on display in the central garden as a bit of curious artwork.  Some devices they figured out and use to defend the royals.

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.