!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2015 10:04 pm  #1

Living authors - Sci fi, fantasy, horror

Off the top of my head I like Ligotti, William Gibson, Moorcock, Wolfe, Lumley and now digging Matthew Hughes.

(don't really care for G RR Martin or the lady that writes Harry Potter.)

Always looking for more. Probably some I am not thinking of. Fun to have an author that you are waiting for a new book from

Who do you like?

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

1/31/2015 2:14 am  #2

Re: Living authors - Sci fi, fantasy, horror

I don't read much that is new.  Ramsey Campbell is still alive, so he fits the bill 
Cold Print is a collection of Lovecraftian short stories by Campbell.  The titular story is a classic!

1/31/2015 10:25 am  #3

Good suggestion Griffith. Oh, and welcome to the board

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

1/31/2015 11:30 am  #4

Gene Wolfe, David Brin, William Gibson, Jack McDevitt and Alastair Reynolds are my current favorite modern living Sci Fi authors. Diane Duane did a fine job with her Harbinger Trilogy for TSR's StarDrive novels.  I'm sure there are others that I would add to the list once I remember them or become familiar with them.  Also, I've very much enjoyed the Pathfinder Tales novels by Robin D. Laws and Dave Gross. 

1/31/2015 6:44 pm  #5

I have to admit I've been marching backward with my reading list; gobbling up everything I can put my hands on by Vance, Moorcock, Dunsany, Howard, Leigh Brackett, Abraham Merritt et al. But I've really enjoyed a few books by a couple of modern authors lately: China Miéville's Perido Stree Station and Joe Abercrombie The Blade Itself, etc. (First Law series). Abercrombie's stuff in particular has been just plain fun to read.

1/31/2015 10:08 pm  #6

Yeah, I get everything China Miéville puts out. For other living writers: Kelly Link, Will Wiles, Emily St. John Mandel. I think Gene Wolfe is past his prime, but I still get his books when they come out. I'm about to investigate K. J. Parker. Will report.

Last edited by Handy Haversack (1/31/2015 10:09 pm)

2/02/2015 2:50 am  #7

Ironically I'm more fond of J.K Rowlings work than Martins' Game of Thrones novels. However the tv show is killer (pun intended).

2/02/2015 7:53 pm  #8

Anyone a Neil Gaiman fan? I think I have made an attempt once at a book of his and it didn't 'take'.

Am I missing anything?

2/03/2015 8:46 am  #9

Scalydemon wrote:

Anyone a Neil Gaiman fan? I think I have made an attempt once at a book of his and it didn't 'take'.

Am I missing anything?

I feel like I should be--or rather, I feel like I would be, but it turns out I haven't really been exposed except in Sandman, which is a cool comic, but I think that no matter how hard I try I just won't ever be all that in to comics. But I do like several writers that he's supported and advised.

Rastus_Burne wrote:

Ironically I'm more fond of J.K Rowlings work than Martins' Game of Thrones novels. However the tv show is killer (pun intended).

I gotta say, I cannot stand either one of these. I find them both just unbearable. The TV show is fun, true, if a little portentous. Beats the crap out of the books!

Jeff VanDerMeer is good if you haven't checked him out ever. Part of the "New Weird." I liked City of Saints and Madmen quite a lot, and the first and third books of the Southern Reach trilogy.

2/12/2015 11:41 pm  #10

Scalydemon wrote:

Anyone a Neil Gaiman fan? I think I have made an attempt once at a book of his and it didn't 'take'.  Am I missing anything?

Which book didn't work for you, Scott?  I'd be happy to make some recommendations---I've read more Moorcock than Gaiman (and love both of their work), but only because MM's been writing for so much longer :D 

Scalydemon wrote:

Who do you like?

Some favorites include, in no particular order:

- Moorcock
- Neil Gaiman
- Dan Simmons - Hyperion Cantos, Carrion Comfort
- S. M. Stirling - The Sky People, In the Courts of the Crimson Kings
- John Phythyon - Wolf Dasher series (written by one of my friends, a fantasy/James Bond setting)
- Erin Morgenstern - The Night Circus

2/13/2015 1:04 am  #11

Funny thing is the book I had started and couldn;t get into that I thought was by Gaiman wasn't actually written by him (false accusation! sorry Neil). It was this book http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Crash and the author was Neil Stephenson as I pulled it back off my shelf.

I guess I will actually have to give Gaiman a legit try

2/13/2015 7:32 am  #12

Scalydemon wrote:

It was this book http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Crash and the author was Neil Stephenson

That book is terrible! No wonder. Oh, man. Yeah, I feel you. Snow Crash is the worst--just a very poorly executed ripoff of Neuromancer. Stephenson's only worthwhile book is Cryptonomicon--the good news is after reading that, you've pretty well read his entire body of work since he only has one story that he dresses up in different ways.

Last edited by Handy Haversack (2/13/2015 7:32 am)

2/13/2015 12:00 pm  #13

I'll heartily recommend Cryptonomicon as well.  (I've not read Snow Crash, since I'm not a cyberpunk fan in general).

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.