!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/25/2014 2:32 pm  #1

I Write Like...

I thought this was a pretty cool site.

http://iwl.me/

Most of my forum posts come back as "George Orwell", although the shorter, nastier ones tend to come back as "Dan Brown" (which serves me right).  I entered the session reports from my Black Fief campaign and got variously "Rudyard Kipling", "James Fenimore Cooper", "Bram Stoker", and "Jonathan Swift".  Nice!

Copy a few paragraphs of your writing and see who you write like!

EDIT: When I tested this post, it came back "H.P. Lovecraft"!

Last edited by Blackadder23 (8/25/2014 2:33 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/25/2014 3:36 pm  #2

Re: I Write Like...

I pasted in two different chunks of my campaing write-up and got Arthur Clarke and David Foster Wallace! I need to sit down for a sec ...

8/25/2014 8:58 pm  #3

Gertrude Stein, ahaha!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

8/25/2014 9:54 pm  #4

I've been hitting that sweet spot between HP Lovecraft and JRR Tolkien with various campaign writings (with a Dan Brown and Mario Puzo on a few dryer pieces of text).  Must be all those 10 dollar words.

8/26/2014 6:43 am  #5

I got two Lovecrafts and one Mark Twain.

8/26/2014 9:27 am  #6

Aw man, I wanted Mark Twain.

Oh well, at least the manuscript for Beneath the Comet came back as "Edgar Allan Poe".

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/26/2014 10:36 am  #7

Danielle Steele

I kid, I kid. I got Poe, too. ;)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

8/26/2014 10:42 am  #8

Ghul wrote:

Danielle Steele

I kid, I kid. I got Poe, too. ;)

Hahaah! Nice.

When I used my work writing (securities recommendations), rather than a random forum post, I got Arthur Clarke.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

8/26/2014 11:03 am  #9

I got David Foster Wallace.

8/26/2014 1:42 pm  #10

Fun idea, but pretty pointless if it shows a completely different result for any sample I enter.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

8/26/2014 1:54 pm  #11

Yora wrote:

Fun idea, but pretty pointless if it shows a completely different result for any sample I enter.

Maybe you just have a wide range.

I think it helps to enter longer samples (as in, several paragraphs or a couple of pages).  When you enter a short sample, the result is probably less reliable.  It's definitely not completely random; if you enter the same sample more than once you do get the same result.  Anyway, I don't think it's meant to be "scientific" - it's just for fun.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (8/26/2014 1:54 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/26/2014 3:22 pm  #12

I got "Living Letters of Pure Will Growing on the Scripted Throat of the Beast That Grows in Blindness." So we know it works!

8/27/2014 6:51 am  #13

Since learning that I write like the late David Foster Wallace, I decided to quit my job and wait for the book deals to come rolling in. So far nothing. Maybe literary agents don't read game blogs?

8/27/2014 1:45 pm  #14

chrisj wrote:

Since learning that I write like the late David Foster Wallace, I decided to quit my job and wait for the book deals to come rolling in. So far nothing. Maybe literary agents don't read game blogs?

Sad but true.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/28/2014 7:29 am  #15

So, I entered four different paragraphs from Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess and got Dan Brown, Edgar Allen Poe, Daniel Defoe, and (gasp!) H.P. Lovecraft.

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

8/28/2014 7:46 am  #16

joseph wrote:

So, I entered four different paragraphs from Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess and got Dan Brown, Edgar Allen Poe, Daniel Defoe, and (gasp!) H.P. Lovecraft.

Awesome!

Try putting in the whole manuscript.  Let's see if people are in for a Poe-splosion.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (8/28/2014 7:48 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/28/2014 9:35 am  #17

I got:
Mario Puzo
Jonathan Swift
J.R.R. Tolkien

all from 3 different sections of the same document.  This is fitting, as each were written with different purposes in mind.

8/28/2014 9:46 am  #18

A selection from G1 yields Arthur C. Clarke, for Gary.

1/19/2015 5:58 am  #19

H.P Lovecraft, Agathie Cristie & Cory Doctorow. 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.