!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2014 2:54 pm  #1

Swordish & Sorcerous adventure ideas from other games and sources

"Good artists borrow, great artists steal."

Coming up with something completely new is great when it works, but very often you can create something just as good by taking an idea from somewhere else and making your own version of it.

"The Automatic Hound" from Dungeon 148: There's a lot of things I don't like about this adventure and I wouldn't call it great, but the basic idea is a really good one I am going to use in my next game. Two brothers went exploring an ancient stone circle in the forest and accidentally disturbed a guardian beast that killed one of them before the other managed to slay it. Returning the corpse back home, the guardian arrived in the village later that night, circling the house of the brothers family. When the guardian is slain, the remains vanish after a few hours and reform back at the stone circle at every sunset and the guardian will resume its attack of the house. It's not actually after the surviving brother, but wants the corpse back, as the killing of a living creature in the stone circle is the first part of an ancient ritual. The guardian would try to get into the house, but the rites to prepare the corpse for the funeral also created a ward against spirits on the home.
The PCs will probably attempt to just slay the guardian, which turns out to be futile. Then they need to get the full story from the surviving brother and after that go exploring the stone circle some more. The chambers under the hill hold stone carvings that show the steps of the sacrifice. Next they need to retrieve the corpse, but the family might not be too thrilled about cutting out the heart in an ancient shrine and sacrificing it to an evil spirit. (There might be a chance the PCs will think they need to sacrifice the surviving brother as well, which would be hilarious.) Once they got the body by whatever means, they have to get it to the stone circle, cut out the heart, and present it to the guardian who devours it. The surrounding land will have bountiful harvests for the next year and the guardian stop attacking the village. The original adventure includes the sacrifice ending with a portal to the spritworld being opened for a few hours, which lures another beast to attack the PCs, but that seems to obviously a tacked on boss fight for an adventure that otherwise doesn't really have one, so I probably replace it with some other big action scene.

"Mellorn Hospitality" from Dungeon 107: A village deep in the forest holds a big market every year that attracts many traders from distant places. However, the village has the dirty secret that a nearby cave opens to the underworld every seven year to spew forth horrors that go hunting for captives to drag back home with them. The villagers know how to avoid the monsters, but they won't return to the underworld until they captured a couple of victims. For that reason the villagers started the anual market to provide some easy prey, and since the monsters only come every seven years, nobody notices the pattern of traders occasionally going missing.
The PCs arrive at the market, possibly as guards for a trader, in one of the years when the monsters attack.

"Species 37" from Mass Effect: (spoiler for Mass Effect, obviously) One of the main story levels from a sci-fi videogame, I think it's just brilliant for a Sword & Sorcery adventure and I'm totally going to run this once my players have three or four adventures under their belt with their current characters.
A small village lies in the ruins of an ancient city, which actually happens to have a very large underground complex below it. A sorcerer arrives with his unhuman minions (snakemen, fishmen, grimlocks, or the like), because he knows of an ancient creature of great intelligence sleeping in the underground halls and wants to force it to reveal its arcane secrets. His minions attack the village to look for an entrance into the underground ruins, causing for a messenger to be send out for help.
Eventually the sorcerers finds and awakens the creature, but keeps it magically bound to interrogate it. However, the creature uses its mental powers to subtly charm the villagers and goad them into trying to come to its help and free it. The sorcerer and his minions become aware of the villagers causing trouble and resume their attacks on the village.
When the PCs arrive, the village is basically under siege by the sorcerers minions and the villagers are acting somewhat strangely towards the PCs. They descend into the dungeons, fighting underground monsters and the minions, until they eventually find the prision of the creature.
And this is were it gets interesting (and diverges from the original source). Both the sorcerer and the creature could try to get the PCs on their side to help them, or the PCs might have to fight against both forces at the same time.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

7/18/2014 8:46 am  #2

Re: Swordish & Sorcerous adventure ideas from other games and sources

Just came across this, Deep Carbon Observatory from the creative minds behind the False Machine and Monster Manual Sewn from Pants blogs. I will pick it up soon. Really seems that it could lend itself to AS&SH (of course, the Underdark would be Underborea, so so long, drow, and hellloooooo oon and phung!). Here's a review from Gus at Dungeon of Signs:

http://dungeonofsigns.blogspot.com/2014/07/a-strange-and-wonderful-bleakness-deep.html

1/18/2015 2:34 pm  #3

I'm flipping through Expeditious Retreat Press' AA25: Beneath the Heart of Empire at the moment. This one seems like a good reskin / reset to AS&SH. It's a sewer crawl beneath a mighty city that's seen better days (and built up over itself).

I think moving it to Khromarium seems easy enough.

1/18/2015 4:58 pm  #4

Perfect, thanks Brian! At the moment, I am in need of something just like this and for just this level range, so the timing is perfect. I have used a few different Advanced Adventure modules in the past. Naturally, some are better than others, but in this case, I think it will be a helpful starting point regardless.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

1/18/2015 5:27 pm  #5

I'm really glad if it helps you out! I'm looking at using the search for the Necrimancer as a seed in one form or another (him, his crypt, books, etc.). The first PC just rolled up ... Melnebonian ... er, Hyperborean Warlock. ;) Maybe a quest to steal some forgotten, forbidden spell book.

Chainsaw wrote:

Perfect, thanks Brian! At the moment, I am in need of something just like this and for just this level range, so the timing is perfect. I have used a few different Advanced Adventure modules in the past. Naturally, some are better than others, but in this case, I think it will be a helpful starting point regardless.

1/18/2015 5:31 pm  #6

BrianEye wrote:

I'm really glad if it helps you out! I'm looking at using the search for the Necrimancer as a seed in one form or another (him, his crypt, books, etc.). The first PC just rolled up ... Melnebonian ... er, Hyperborean Warlock. ;) Maybe a quest to steal some forgotten, forbidden spell book.

Sounds good! Let us know how it all unfolds.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

1/18/2015 10:04 pm  #7

The adventure played out really well. All said and done, we went for about three hours - picking up in a nasty dive tavern towards the north end of things, and ending with the PC cashing in on a half-century old unclaimed reward for the head of a necromancer.

The adventure worked well with little embellishment or change-over. As always, a DM's sharp eye is needed to make sure all the descriptions, etc. come together. I used AS&SH monster stats whenever possible (for all of them, I think).

It was pretty tough for a single PC (with one 0 FA hireling). 

Last edited by BrianEye (1/18/2015 10:04 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.