!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2015 12:31 am  #41

Re: Game Lab 1 - Sabres & Witchery- Forêt de vers [Game Thread]

You find some more of the deeply indented tracks about the area. Nothing seems to move near the rubble or 'entrance'.

You seacrh around near the woodline and find some semi-dry pine that has some sap present that looks like you could use your skills to make a couple pitch brands.
You complete the task of making 2 pitch torches. It is now 1200 noon.

What would you like to do next?

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

1/14/2015 7:26 am  #42

I say we head in. What do you think, Dupont? I'll carry the torch, you keep that firearm ready?

1/15/2015 9:54 pm  #43

I check the powder in both weapons, whisper a sweet fair well to my good friend the sky and nod toward the dark absess before venturing forth.

1/15/2015 11:50 pm  #44

After a frsutrating few minutes in the damp clinging fog, Boris manages to get one of the pitch torches ablaze.

Along the steep descent you see on the center floor a narrow set of rusty metal tracks. At times the ceiling is reinforced by semi-rotted planks of timber.

You go down beneath the earth some 40 or 50 feet at a cautious pace. The torch sending out flickering ghost-like shadows on the rough hewn rock walls. Finally you reach what appears to be a landing or room.

Boris waves the torch about in the pitch darkness. You see some broken wooden carts reinforced with rusted metal bands and wheels strewn about as well as pick axes and other related tools in various states of decay. In the center of the room a wooden freight elevator can be seen. It appears to operate on a chain mechainsm with a pulley. The shaft goes straight down.

What would you like to do next?

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

1/16/2015 7:20 am  #45

Check the elevator and carts and see if it looks like any of this has been used any time recently and whether there are any tracks down here.

1/16/2015 8:05 am  #46

I under flickering light, examine the the mechanisms for the elevator and the strength of the chains. I would like to know our chances of plunging to death if we use this thing.

1/16/2015 9:07 pm  #47

The carts appear broken, some smashed. There are also some animal skeletons you find, perhaps from a deer and a few rodents , and lots of cobwebs.

The pulley/chain mechaism appears sound. Hard to tell if it has been used of late in this light/circumstance. You think you see places where the rust has been scraped by metal on metal possibly meaning recent use.

One weird thing, when the torch light is moved away from the shaft, and you look with your naked eye in the darkness -  you can see a very dim green glowing light some far distance down, possibly at the bottom

1/16/2015 9:48 pm  #48

Fortune favors the bold! At least, that's what the dead tell me. I say we descend.

1/17/2015 9:03 am  #49

I give the mechanisms one last glance over before getting into the elevator. "Boris, be ready for whatever happens." I pull the winch leaver. 

1/18/2015 5:56 pm  #50

You step on the creaky elevator and pull a lever. The platform starts to drop and slide along it's chain. (*secret DM roll) Click click click click click......as you drop down faster now you begin to pick up speed....the torch almost extinguishes...the green glow coming from below is more pronounced.....faster you drop...and now it seems as though the machine may be off track........skreeeeeeeee!.....metal on metal...

Suddenly you land with a loud crash.

DEX checks:
Boris rolls a 10, success
Dupont rolls a 14 fail, goes sprawling as he lands hard, takes 1d4 = 1 dmg.

You quickly try and regain your senses. You find yourselves in a dark underground, rough hewn chamber. A green light glows from the east of the room.. As you get to your feet again and  look that way you see a glowing portal on the east wall, which seems to pulse and throb. Silhouetted in front of it is a hulking stooped figure. Inward inverted horned head, the outline of vestigual wings. Un-naturally long arms. Taloned fingers.

A large backed bone throne lies between the fiend and the portal.

Several side passages can be seen of varying widths as well as piles of rubble and more carts, a few dusty crates, and rusted tracks.

What would you like to do next? (I will be rolling init.)

1/19/2015 11:54 am  #51

I'll get between Dupont and the creature, axe ready but hoping he can get a shot off around me. If it attacks, I'll bury my axe in its guts and fell it like a yearling pine!

1/19/2015 12:24 pm  #52

cursing under my breath at the pain (D4=3 so 4 damage) I raise the gun and fire (rolls d20 = 4, oh dear).

1/20/2015 12:03 pm  #53

The dust kicked up by the fallen freight elevator begins to subside as you regain your senses. The Demon strides towards you giving you a clearer view of the enemy you face
Jet black, rubbery skin and slender, with membraneous wings, inverted horns.  A tail that bears the bifid barb of hell and twitches erratically. It's face is rather blank with narrow yellow slits for eyes.

Init rolls
Boris :15
Dupont :5
Fiend of Forêt de vers :18

Long, loping strides. The Demon crosses the chamber as you scramble up onto your feet. He attacks Boris with 2 rakish taloned hands.
atk rolls : 15, 9 , hitting once
damage: 1d10 = 1. Boris leers back away from the Demon and is barely scratched.

Dopont takes a wild shot with his rifle, boom!, but the shot goes errant
(I'll go ahead and roll for Boris here to keep things moving)
Boris atk roll: 13 hits, his ax slices into the fiend for 4+1 = 5 dmg

You notice the tail of the demon appears to have a stinger at it's tip.
You notice where Boris cut the creature with his ax, the wound beginning to close already. No blood or liquid comes out.
You notice the dusty crates nearby have words stamped on them

What are your next actions?

1/20/2015 12:08 pm  #54

Can we see what the crates say in the confusion? As in "Le goo de démon fondant"? And is our torch still lit? I shout for Dupont to burn the fiend's face off and then I try to cut off its tail with my axe. Let's see if it can grow a new one of those.

1/20/2015 12:29 pm  #55

The crates are stamped in all caps, in faded red ink "ATTENTION! EXPLOSIFS!"

Your torch is barely still burning at this point

1/20/2015 12:31 pm  #56

Any exits from the room where we're fighting?

1/20/2015 12:33 pm  #57

"Several side passages can be seen of varying widths as well as piles of rubble and more carts, a few dusty crates, and rusted tracks."

1/20/2015 12:35 pm  #58

OK.

OOC: Great_lestrade, my thought is to duck down a side passage or dive into a cart and toss the torch at the explosives and blow this thing back to hell. But if you think that sounds crazy, I'd understand! What do you think?

1/23/2015 5:44 am  #59

I nod, dropping the rifle. I unload my pistol at the beast (d20=10)  before hurling myself over some rubble to take cover.

1/23/2015 7:07 am  #60

Axe-crate-torch-dive into cart.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.