!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/05/2015 6:42 pm  #21

Re: Game Lab 1 - Sabres & Witchery- Forêt de vers [Game Thread]

Boris will try to circle around and wait for a chance to bury his axe in some mutant brain stem.

1/05/2015 10:38 pm  #22

I will fire, and then if time drop the rifle, pull the pistol and fire again the following round.

1/06/2015 11:23 pm  #23

OOC: The initiative rules for this game could be interpreted in different ways. I am going to use individual initiative.

Init rolls round 1:
Boris - 9
Dupont - 6
'Slow Mutant' - 11

The 'slow mutant' levels his wooden flint-lock pistol at Dupont from a range of 20'. A loud bang  and a puff of smoke flash before you..

atk roll: 17 hits! for 5+1 = 6 dmg.

The lead musket ball slams into Dupont's abdomen!

(I will say Boris can make it the 20' distance through the woods and attack melee this round if he chooses)

* go ahead and roll and post your results when you get a chance

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

1/07/2015 8:26 am  #24

Boris rolls a 19! Modified to 21 with t-h bonuses, I think. Damage is 5+1+1 = 7.

1/07/2015 12:58 pm  #25

Dupont, reeling from the impact of the blow, pulls the trigger rolling a 7 and sends a shot whistling off into the trees.

1/07/2015 11:51 pm  #26

The mutated man goes down hard from the blow of Boris's axe, first to his knees, and then slumps down face first on the ground. A trail of dark/red black blood oozes from his neck and shoulders where he was cut. His skin appears melted or burned and he has no ears and slits for nose holes.

Nearby in the woodline is the largest dead white possum you have ever seen. Bloated and pocked with boils and sores - it looks like it weighs 50 lbs and has a long naked tail.

It's now about 3pm. It gets dark around 6pm. You stand along a scant wooded trail near a hilltop deep in the Forêt de vers. It is cold enough up here to faintly see your breath.
Around you are mostly gnarled cedars and large sword ferns. The air is stagnant and the soil is coal black and mucky where you step.

What would you like to do next?

Last edited by Scalydemon (1/08/2015 12:16 am)

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

1/08/2015 7:10 am  #27

Boris will offer Dupont what first aid he can and then try to track this creature back the way it came.

1/08/2015 6:09 pm  #28

"sacrebleu" I greatfully recieve any aid Boris can administer with his wilderness survival skills but it is little beyond quenching the bleeding and soothing the bruises. Dupont then moves to examine both corpses. Is there any dry wood about?, we may need to build a fire/camp.

1/09/2015 1:03 am  #29

Boris is able to pluck the lead ball from Dupont's gut. Luckily it hadn't penetrated fully into his stomach too far. He cleans the wound as best he can with some water from his flask and bandages him, Rolls a 5, which means Dupont gets 3 hit points back. (Now at 15/18 hps).

Dupont pokes at the dead possum to investigate it. When he tries to flip the dead animal over, it appears 'stuck' for a moment. To his horror after getting it flipped over he finds that 2 long bone white worms had come up out of the earth and started burrowing into the corpse. One of them slips out and disappears back down a small hole. The other continues burrowing itself into the possum's stomach. They are about 10" long.

The 'slow mutant' corpse's skin appears rather slimy and mottled.

Boris feels that the 'slow mutant' came from further down the crude trail you are on to the south.

Finding dry firwood and some type of suitable area to make a shelter and bivouac would be aided if Boris makes his 'wilderness survival' roll (save vs CON). (Boris also has a track skill, save vs WIS which may be useful in finding the monster you hunt)

It's now about 330pm. It gets dark around 6pm. What would you like to do next?

1/09/2015 7:26 am  #30

I say we press on until we have to stop, Dupont. If you are able to go on, that is. I'd like to track this foulness now while light remains.

1/09/2015 4:10 pm  #31

"Of couse, we proceed." I follow Boris, whilst reloading the rifle.

1/09/2015 11:48 pm  #32

OOC: Ok, in reading the rules over for saving throws (ST), you have a base chance per your level, then modified by the attribute + or -.
At 3rd level which you both are your base ST is 13.
Boris has a 8 WIS, which is a -1 modifier.
So he needs a 14 or > on a d20 to pass his 'tracking' skill roll for the day.

rolls a 17 = success!
Game:
While the sun is still active, though heavily obscured by cloud cover, you decide to press on. Boris an hour or so in heading south manages to find traces of a heavy, bare taloned print which leaves a deep depression in the soft ground. Now that he has this sign and a direction he finds other evidence, broken twigs, more footprints etc. heading southeast off the trail.
You follow these signs for awhile. The daylight begins to fade. It is now 5pm. You are deep in the forest off any sort of trail. More large spotted slugs can be seen, as well as  dull brown mushrooms with pointed black caps some 4' tall in dense pocketed stands. The forest seems devoid of most common wildlife and sounds save the occasional raven cawing angrily over a distance. A claustrophobia and stagnation can be sensed by the dim canopy and thick air adding to a sense of gloom.

Would you like to continue tracking (conceivably in the dark which may prove difficult), or seek shelter? Or other?

1/10/2015 2:37 pm  #33

"Boris my good man, we should seek shelter for the night and return to the hunt tomorrow.".

1/11/2015 12:29 am  #34

It might be safest. But I will not feel safe in these woods. We must be vigilant.

So, let's set a watch.

1/12/2015 1:31 am  #35

You use some of your woodsman skills and hack down some cedar limbs and make a hasty lean to shelter - with some boughs for a floor of sorts to keep your bodies off the damp earth as much as possible. It proves a challenge but you get a small fire lit near the shelter entrance.

Around 3am it starts lightly raining again. You set watches (secret DM roll*) but fortunately nothing approaches during the restless night.

As dawn breaks you emerge to light rain and fog. You eat a hasty breakfast and trudge on further southward through the Forêt de vers still following occasional tracks.
As you travel you notice the forest becoming even deader. Black moss pervades even the few living pines and cedars. Eleven AM and you come down off a small hill. A clearing of sorts appears ahead dominated by sickly yellowed grasses and dead black saplings that stick up like stubble on a man's chin. In a few spots you can see heaps of rubble piled up higher than the grasses.

1/12/2015 12:18 pm  #36

Why not have one of us circle 90 degrees around so we come at the clearing from two angles? Then we can make our way toward the rubble piles.

1/12/2015 5:09 pm  #37

I nod and head off at a brisk stooping run around to the west scanning the clearing and rock piles with my eyes. I then await Boris's signal on our next move.

1/13/2015 12:16 am  #38

Late morning and the fog is yet to burn off. An acrid stench of evil and death hangs about this place. All is eerily silent and still.

Circling in closer you notice the largest rubble pile has a gaping hole in front of it which leads below the earth's surface at a steep grade. Nothing moves as you survey the scene.

1/13/2015 7:15 am  #39

I'll circle out from that entrance and see what I can see for tracks. Also, it seems like making some torches might soon be a good idea.

1/13/2015 7:46 am  #40

I creep across the open area toward the pile and pit within surveying the surrounding area. Once the area has been seen to be clear  I join Boris in scavenging dead wood for torches.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.