!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/08/2014 7:50 pm  #21

Re: Gary Con VII (2015)

My events are in! I'll be at the North Wind Adventures booth by day, talking shop and drinking a few beers. By night, I'll be running the following games. I'll be leaving early on Sunday. Excelsior!

Thursday Night (7PM-11:30)
Beneath the Comet: For weeks the Comet has blazed in the sky above Hyperborea, inspiring widespread superstitious dread and fear of some star-borne contagion. Under the light of this harbinger from the Black Gulf, the PCs have come to Bogrest, following a magical treasure map that reveals great wealth buried in the Lonely Heath north of the village. Finding that treasure will be no simple matter, however, for Hyperborea is a weirder and deadlier place than ever beneath the Comet.

Friday Night (7PM-11:30)
Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess: Marooned on the Isle of the Serpent near the very rim of the world, your party seeks the fabled Feathered Crown of Nanasa, the Coiled Goddess. You have emerged from the tangles of a hostile jungle teeming with gargantuan beasts to discover a 150-foot-high step pyramid of purplish marble. This must be none other than the temple where the Coiled Goddess was worshiped, but this is no abandoned ruin; indeed, the place appears to be thriving.

Saturday Night (7PM-11:30)
Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes: Somewhere in the depths of the Diamond Desert lie the skeletal remains of Ymir's Serpent, a legendary Viking longship. In days of yore, Sigtrygg Forkbeard led his company upriver, piercing the desert's hostile heart. There the Vikings unearthed a lost mine brimming with green diamonds, but as the Serpent prepared for departure, the river went dry and the ship was swallowed by the dunes. Forkbeard and company were never to be seen again, but tales of a shimmering Viking ghost ship gliding over the dunes persist to this day. At present, an elderly magician has devised "irrefutable means" to locate the wreck and reap its treasure trove, but he requires able-bodied assistance.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

12/09/2014 8:23 am  #22

mabon5127 wrote:

I unfortunately will not be able to attend this year.  My wife allowed me to attend GenCon during our anniversary so I will be taking her on a cruise using GC dollars.

Man, you will be missed, but have fun on your cruise.

Ghul wrote:

Beneath the Comet:

Played this last year - very good and highly recommended.

Ghul wrote:

Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess:

Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes:

Looks like my top picks for Friday and Saturday nights have arrived.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

12/09/2014 8:38 am  #23

mabon5127 wrote:

I unfortunately will not be able to attend this year.  My wife allowed me to attend GenCon during our anniversary so I will be taking her on a cruise using GC dollars.

Yes, you will be missed, my friend! Any chance of North Texas in June?

12/09/2014 9:06 am  #24

Mabon, that's a shame--was looking forward to meeting you!

Ghul, Chainsaw, I will see you two around the table!

12/09/2014 12:39 pm  #25

capitalbill and I booked flights today. Should arrive at the lodge Weds around 515-530PM and leaving Sunday morning (11AM flight back to Charlotte).

12/09/2014 12:52 pm  #26

Chainsaw wrote:

capitalbill and I booked flights today. Should arrive at the lodge Weds around 515-530PM and leaving Sunday morning (11AM flight back to Charlotte).

Do you fly into Chicago or Milwaukee? And were you going to rent a car or investigate a shuttle?

12/09/2014 1:04 pm  #27

Handy Haversack wrote:

Do you fly into Chicago or Milwaukee? And were you going to rent a car or investigate a shuttle?

We're flying into MKE; in the past we've always rented a car (or a cargo van filled with fertilizer to drive out to the country for our cult meeting ) and I'm assuming we'll do so again.

12/09/2014 1:05 pm  #28

Handy Haversack wrote:

Chainsaw wrote:

Flying into MKE. We always rent a car. I like being able to get to/from airport and into town for breakfast reliably and at my leisure. We have used the shuttle for at least one dinner in town most years though (no drinking/driving) and it has worked fine.

12/09/2014 1:19 pm  #29

Ghul wrote:

My events are in!

Beneath the Comet: For weeks the Comet has blazed in the sky above Hyperborea, inspiring widespread superstitious dread and fear of some star-borne contagion. Under the light of this harbinger from the Black Gulf, the PCs have come to Bogrest, following a magical treasure map that reveals great wealth buried in the Lonely Heath north of the village. Finding that treasure will be no simple matter, however, for Hyperborea is a weirder and deadlier place than ever beneath the Comet.

Played in this last year, very good game. Kollesta the She-Bull of the Skarag Coast is still rocking her fur coat.

Ghul wrote:

Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess: Marooned on the Isle of the Serpent near the very rim of the world, your party seeks the fabled Feathered Crown of Nanasa, the Coiled Goddess. You have emerged from the tangles of a hostile jungle teeming with gargantuan beasts to discover a 150-foot-high step pyramid of purplish marble. This must be none other than the temple where the Coiled Goddess was worshiped, but this is no abandoned ruin; indeed, the place appears to be thriving.

Ooh, going to have to get in on this!

Ghul wrote:

Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes: Somewhere in the depths of the Diamond Desert lie the skeletal remains of Ymir's Serpent, a legendary Viking longship. In days of yore, Sigtrygg Forkbeard led his company upriver, piercing the desert's hostile heart. There the Vikings unearthed a lost mine brimming with green diamonds, but as the Serpent prepared for departure, the river went dry and the ship was swallowed by the dunes. Forkbeard and company were never to be seen again, but tales of a shimmering Viking ghost ship gliding over the dunes persist to this day. At present, an elderly magician has devised "irrefutable means" to locate the wreck and reap its treasure trove, but he requires able-bodied assistance.

Played in this a couple years ago, very fun time. My unnamed Atlantean Magician left with some riches, although I think there might have been some entanglements with a Xathoqquan curse?

12/09/2014 1:24 pm  #30

francisca wrote:

Okay, Trouble in Vikland II has been submitted.

Nice!

francisca wrote:

A year ago, the evil Frost Giant Jarl Ulaf was vanquished.

Don't forget, the legendary Viking Scout Sokki the Swift was also vanquished.....by a tree.

12/09/2014 3:46 pm  #31

francisca wrote:

Okay, Trouble in Vikland II has been submitted.  Noon on saturday.

Here is the catalog description:

A year ago, the evil Frost Giant Jarl Ulaf was vanquished.  For a time, the lands were at peace.  Now, the ravaging has begun again.  This time, the perpetrator is is alleged to be a tall, beautiful Ice Sorceress

Could this be the beautiful ghost-like woman who had lured so many young men to their frost-bitten, hoary deaths?  Or is this some new damnation for all of humankind - Vikings, Esquimaux, and Kimmerian alike?

This is a (loose) continuation of the adventure I ran last year, set in the same general area of Hyperborea.

This game will utilize the Astonishing Sorcerers and Swordsmen and Hyperborea RPG.  Some familiarity with AD&D and/or OD&D will be helpful to players unfamiliar with the system.  Pre-generated characters in the level range of 8-10 will be provided.

Rich, thank you for running this. I truly appreciate it!

Last edited by Ghul (12/09/2014 3:46 pm)

12/09/2014 4:19 pm  #32

Ghul wrote:

Rich, thank you for running this. I truly appreciate it!

No prob!

12/11/2014 10:00 pm  #33

Flight booked!!!

We're landing at MKE Thurs. morning so should be ready to game by noon. Flying back out Monday afternoon. Nice and leisurely. It's how we roll.

12/14/2014 7:18 pm  #34

Ghul wrote:

mabon5127 wrote:

Yes, you will be missed, my friend! Any chance of North Texas in June?

Unfortunately not.  The good news...I'll be running three adventures in Hyperborea for Origins Game Fair that very weekend!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

1/08/2015 10:46 pm  #35

Can we get this conversation going again? Mainly because I am superpsyched for GaryCon. I haven't been to a con since I was a kid, and I've never gamed at one--and I've never hung out or gotten drunk with you guys!

1/09/2015 6:35 am  #36

Handy Haversack wrote:

Can we get this conversation going again? Mainly because I am superpsyched for GaryCon. I haven't been to a con since I was a kid, and I've never gamed at one--and I've never hung out or gotten drunk with you guys!

New Glarus I see in your future.

1/09/2015 7:28 am  #37

Ghul wrote:

Handy Haversack wrote:

New Glarus I see in your future.

Wise man - listen to him! I'll find a way to slip a shot or two in there as well, so be ready.

When are you arriving again, Handy? The Charlotte contigent, consisting of capitalbill and me, plan to arrive around 530PM Weds. I want to say you're arriving late Thurs? Anyway, we'll all exchange contact info ahead of time, so we can find each other.

1/09/2015 10:53 am  #38

Yup, we get into Milwaukee Thursday morning. I figure we'll head straight to the Lodge and start gaming and check in at the Cove when we have a chance.

New Glarus will do nicely!

1/09/2015 3:21 pm  #39

I'll be there. Still trying to decide if I will run a game. I've been experimenting with a Dungeon World mod I call Hyperborea World, so I might run that as it works well for convention games.

Chris J.

1/09/2015 4:19 pm  #40

Chainsaw wrote:

I'll find a way to slip a shot or two in there as well, so be ready.

A shot or two, he says.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.