!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/06/2014 1:59 am  #1

AFS 6 - Upcoming

Seems like this magazine is roughly bi-yearly but I  would prefer to get a new issue out sooner if the submissions came in to justify

Submission guidelines for AFS 6. Sticking primarily with the normal core focus of the zine, Works inspired by or in the Worlds of HPL, CAS, REH and Jack Vance

*Added focus though - what I am looking for especially this issue;
The works of related authors 1890 - 1939, pulp horror and fantasy. (Blackwood, Chambers, Merritt, Bierce, etc etc.)
The Unexplained
Cosmic Horror, Occultism, Inter-dimensions, Gates

as always submissions can be sent to srmoberly - at - yahoo.com
Contributors will recieve the opportunity to purchase a magazine copy at 1/2 price, as well as a contributor's coin for the issue (as I collect old coin lots)
Thanks

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

7/30/2014 12:59 pm  #2

Re: AFS 6 - Upcoming

That map picture is very inspiring- got me to do a search on it to see who did it 

The void there, the Nightmare Drink, that's awesome.  I'm picturing that somewhere in Hyperborea- a place on the mainland where there is a huge pit that goes through the foundations of the Hyperborea and into the Boreas below.

7/31/2014 4:59 pm  #3

Scaley - My adventure is just about written. I'm doing some art for it as well as maps, so I'll get it sent out to you as soon as these are done. Should be around 10 pages with everything included.

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

8/05/2014 1:38 pm  #4

Cool map. Love AFS!

8/05/2014 4:27 pm  #5

joseph wrote:

Scaley - My adventure is just about written. I'm doing some art for it as well as maps, so I'll get it sent out to you as soon as these are done. Should be around 10 pages with everything included.

Excited to see this!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

8/07/2014 6:31 pm  #6

Chainsaw wrote:

joseph wrote:

Excited to see this!

Me too , thanks Joseph!

Also received a cool looking adventure submission from The Great Lestrade

Things are beginning to take form....

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

8/14/2014 10:41 pm  #7

Scalydemon wrote:

The Unexplained

Gates and dimensions, eh?  Anything in particular? :D

8/15/2014 8:33 pm  #8

grodog wrote:

Scalydemon wrote:

The Unexplained

Gates and dimensions, eh?  Anything in particular? :D

Hola grodog,
As an example was thinking sort of along the lines of what Tom Moldvay does in Castle Amber (Gateway/Portal to Averoigne).
Except this could be improved upon, by adding more flavour in an early 1900's macabre fashion or whatever strikes your fancy. Likely there could be a reverse portal found in the 'new World' that could return the characters to their plane/dimension/realm.

Another example could be the Death Zone in 'The Five Doctors'

Just a couple possible takes on this....thanks

Last edited by Scalydemon (8/15/2014 9:14 pm)

10/19/2014 7:40 pm  #9

Hello, Just an update on AFS 6

I plan to publish AFS 6 by Dec 1st 2014. If anyone has a small-ish article I could use it to round out what looks to be a fun, adventure heavy, Hyperborea heavy issue. Submissions can be emailed to me at srmoberly -at- yahoo dot com. A word doc or similar is fine

Thanks and hope everyone is enjoying their games/gaming

10/19/2014 7:46 pm  #10

I'll let you know if I can get in one of the new character classes in very soon. It would be the huntsman that I've been working on.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/19/2014 8:12 pm  #11

That would be awesome Ghul.

And if anyone else has any 11th hour short submissions that would be good as well. There is no fixed page count. (Hell, the pages aren't even numbered!)

10/19/2014 10:20 pm  #12

Hmmm.  I'm not far enough along on my adventure/gazetteer to be done that soon, but I could write up something in character from a sage, about the underside of Hyperborea if that might be a worthwhile teaser, so to speak?

Last edited by grodog (10/19/2014 10:21 pm)

10/19/2014 11:37 pm  #13

Where can this fanzine be purchased?

10/20/2014 1:20 pm  #14

Scalydemon wrote:

That would be awesome Ghul.

And if anyone else has any 11th hour short submissions that would be good as well. There is no fixed page count. (Hell, the pages aren't even numbered!)

Scaly, I have a piece on magical reasearch. The AD&D version is with Dragonsfoot for Footprints, but I just happen to have an AS&SH version as well. Any interest?

10/22/2014 8:53 am  #15

What is "AFS"?

10/22/2014 1:37 pm  #16

AFS is a fanzine of OSR material put together by Scott "ScalyDemon" Moberly, with articles authored by members of the community. It can be purchased directly from Scott, via his blog or email. The magazine continues to improve and has contained regular AS&SH articles. The magazine comes comb-bound.

Last edited by joseph (10/22/2014 6:29 pm)

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

10/22/2014 2:52 pm  #17

Thank you, joseph.

10/22/2014 5:25 pm  #18

Hi, yes happy to take a look at submissions if you come up with something Handy or Grodog.

Thanks Joseph. And my blog that is basically just a host site for the magazine is at http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

For those interested in back issues, I am still trying to work it so I have back issues of all issues available, but realistically it may be awhile

What I currently have in stock and available for purchase are:
A handful of issue #2, current price is $8.50 includes USA shipping
A handful of issue #5, current price is $10.00 includes USA shipping.

Thank you, Scott

10/23/2014 10:49 am  #19

Submissions submitted!

10/23/2014 11:44 am  #20

If you need something short, I could throw together some NPC characters or perhaps a table of something random related to transdimensional activity.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.