!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/19/2014 2:38 pm  #1

Using adventures and gazetteers from other settings

I've always wanted to tinker with Hyperborea. By which I mean stealing large chunks of it for a setting of my own, with elements of other settings thrown in for good measure.

Lately I've had half a mind to throw in the Red Tide from the eponymous Sine Nomine product (statted for Labyrinth Lord officially but an easy enough conversion). Because this setting also has a huge horrific, apocalyptic vibe going on, I think it' s a match made in... Heaven? ;)

In terms of adventure modules, I'm hard-pressed to find a world that is a better fit for B4 The Lost City than Hyperborea.

What about y'all? Anyone mashing up elements from other settings into Hyperborea, or vice versa?

10/19/2014 7:10 pm  #2

Re: Using adventures and gazetteers from other settings

Off the top of my head, I've used Caverns of Thracia, In Search of the Unknown, Pod Caverns of the Sinister Shroom, Curse of the Witch Head, and several magazine adventures authored by the likes of Matt Finch and Gabor Lux.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

10/21/2014 9:52 am  #3

I'm pondering using JN2 Monkey Isle (prehistorical creatures, man-apes, lost temples, etc.),  Anomalous Subsurface Environment (science fantasy gonzo) or some Hex Crawl Chronicles.

I could also mention some LotFP and DCC RPG modules but, let's be honest, when it comes to OSR, AS&SH is my to go game and system.

10/21/2014 10:58 am  #4

Any D&D or D&D clone adventure could be used pretty easily.  Some might need editing for tone and atmosphere.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/21/2014 3:24 pm  #5

Blackadder23 wrote:

Any D&D or D&D clone adventure could be used pretty easily.  Some might need editing for tone and atmosphere.

And ape-men. And tentacular horrors.

10/21/2014 3:28 pm  #6

Handy Haversack wrote:

Blackadder23 wrote:

And ape-men. And tentacular horrors.

Oh, my! ;)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

12/29/2017 1:48 pm  #7

I'm pretty much going with Morten Braten's (Thulsa) Xoth as my campaign's setting. I've converted Thulsa's Player's Guide to AS&SH, but there wasn't much crunch in it to worry about. I just prefer deserts and jungles to cold tundras, but Hyperborea can so easily lie beyond that realm's cold wastes one could consider Xoth and Hyperborea two continents upon the same world.

Last edited by Jimm.Iblis (12/29/2017 1:50 pm)

"Role-playing isn't storytelling. If the dungeon master is directing it, it's not a game."  ~ Gary Gygax

12/29/2017 7:14 pm  #8

Jimm.Iblis wrote:

I'm pretty much going with Morten Braten's (Thulsa) Xoth as my campaign's setting. I've converted Thulsa's Player's Guide to AS&SH, but there wasn't much crunch in it to worry about. I just prefer deserts and jungles to cold tundras, but Hyperborea can so easily lie beyond that realm's cold wastes one could consider Xoth and Hyperborea two continents upon the same world.

Great products!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

12/30/2017 6:36 pm  #9

Once my kids get through Sightless serpent (third try thus far...part of my playtest before garycon), I plan on putting them through Treasure Vaults of Zadabad, should be easy to convert, and place somewhere within Hyperborea. All ref to demihumans will be stricken from the source material!

Del Teigeler, Illustrator
mavfire.blogspot.com
mavfire.deviantart.com

12/30/2017 7:24 pm  #10

Like Jimm, I've also been running AS&SH in Thulsa's Xoth (The Spider God's Bride) - it works a treat.  I just ignore all the 3rd ed stuff and port-in AS&SH wholesale.  Aspects of what's presented in the AS&SH Hyperborea section also comes in handy (such as the material on the various Lotus flowers and magical dust). 

​I'm currently toying with an idea for using AS&SH for a pseudo-historical game set in Ancient Rome... (aiming for something like Worms of the Earth).  As such, the various historical supplements out there come in handy (the 2nd ed books on Rome and the Celts, GURPS Egypt, GURPS Imperial Rome, Mythras Rome and so on). 

Last edited by Doctor_Rob (12/30/2017 7:27 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.