!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/06/2014 12:53 pm  #1

AS&SH Errata

The game is pretty clean. I made several passes at it, and Dave Prata did a superlative job at editing it, but there is no way to ever get it perfectly. But we can improve for the next printing! If you see something that you think is errata, please let me know. However, if you have an idea for the next printng that you'd like to share, this is not the thread for it. I'll start off with the first one:

++++++++++++
Two aboleth abilities were not listed correctly in the earlier part of the print run; it's been repaired to this:

At will, to a range of 240 feet, the aboleth can effect a vivid illusion of sight, sound, and smell (see advanced spectral phantasm spell); however, it must maintain concentration for the illusion to persist.

Thrice per day, to a range of 30 feet, an aboleth can effect its mind control ability. Those who fail sorcery saves will serve and obey the aboleth. The enslaved will not bring harm to friends or former associates, but will abide other telepathic commands, so long as the monster is never more than one mile distant. Remove curse or dispel magic can terminate this enchantment.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

8/06/2014 8:23 pm  #2

Re: AS&SH Errata

Page 154 of the Referee's Manual, under the entry for Boots of Speed:

"Utilizing these boots does not age the caster,"

I think you mean "wearer" of "user" instead of caster.

10/08/2014 6:52 am  #3

There are some small errors regarding the electronic bookmarks in the current manuals. Should I list them in hope of correction someday? Or the current PDF version is to be discarded in facour of the new "edition" anyway?

10/08/2014 4:46 pm  #4

Ynas Midgard wrote:

There are some small errors regarding the electronic bookmarks in the current manuals. Should I list them in hope of correction someday? Or the current PDF version is to be discarded in facour of the new "edition" anyway?

Yeah, I wouldn't bother, but thank you.

10/12/2014 4:10 pm  #5

Typo in the spell description for Detect Snares and Pits: "The sorcerer must continue to concentrate He must continue to concentrate...."

Vol. 2, p. 132.

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

10/12/2014 8:33 pm  #6

Good catch, Joe.

10/13/2014 12:30 pm  #7

Well, that make three. Clearly there are no more errors to be found now.

10/13/2014 5:10 pm  #8

On page 181 of the Referee's Manual PDF, Aurorus is referred to as "Auroros".  (Sidebar: I personally like the latter spelling better.)  I seem to recall this is the case in at least one other place.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/13/2014 9:58 pm  #9

Page 77 of the Player's Manual PDF has "Floating Island of Paradoxia" instead of "Floating Island of Paradoxon".

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/13/2014 10:58 pm  #10

Page 217 of the Referee's Manual PDF also has "Auroros" instead of "Aurorus".

(Sorry - you guys did ask!)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/14/2014 5:23 pm  #11

Goddammit...

10/14/2014 6:03 pm  #12

I always suspected DMP was mortal. I was just waiting for someone to come along and prove it. ;)

10/14/2014 9:52 pm  #13

You guys did ask.
AS&SH compares very favorably to most RPG products.  I've recently been rereading the 2e PHB and it has an error on practically every page.  Sometimes more than one per page.  So good job Dave!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

10/15/2014 5:03 am  #14

We jest, we jest! This is all very helpful as we prepare for the 2015 hardback edition of AS&SH, so thank you!

10/15/2014 6:00 pm  #15

Indeed, please keep the errata coming. I was merely bemoaning the fact that I failed to deliver on my promise to Jeff: that the published AS&SH rules would contain three typographical errors that I'd overlook. Nothing a little self-flagellation can't fix...

12/21/2014 7:59 pm  #16

I was recently rereading the Players' Manual for the [number redacted to make me seem less insane] time and I specifically looked for any errata.  I noted the following items that haven't been mentioned in this thread yet:

Page 80 near the bottom: "...armour types are presumed to include to include suitable limb protection..."

Page 221 near the bottom: "...the subject has slipped has slipped and lost his footing..."

Page 233 near the bottom: "Rowboat: Small, keeled boat used for paddling rivers, lakes, and swamps; typically two- or four-oared; typical two- or four-oared."

Page 247, above the description of Infantry, Heavy is a fragment of text reading "spears, swords, and the like."

(I can't stress enough that you guys did ask!)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

12/21/2014 9:23 pm  #17

Thank you! Most of these fall on my shoulders during layout. These catches are all very helpful, BA23!

1/01/2015 12:43 pm  #18

I just finished reading the Referee's Manual for the [probably unhealthy number] time, and I noticed these items which haven't been mentioned in this thread yet:

Page 144: Some words are run together in the description of ring of weakness: "...it cannot be removedunless..."

Page 148: Redundant text in the description of staff of striking: "...may use 1 charge to double the damage dice, or 2 charges to treble the damage dice, or two charges to treble the damage dice..."

Page 156: Redundant text in the description of circlet of invulnerability: "In such an instance In each such instance, the attack appears to be a blow to the head that should crush the skull of the wearer..."

Page 157: Redundant text in the description of dust of appearance: “Those exposed are covered in golden glitter for 3d6 turns. The exposed are covered in golden glitter for a period of 3d6 turns.

Page 195: This one is really picky, and I apologize for that, but it was one of the only grammatically dubious things I saw.  In the description of the Kelts it says: “Others are known to form tight-knit cultural minorities in cities and towns; others still from small villages about the realm.”  The second clause isn’t really a complete thought because it lacks a verb.  Maybe it’s supposed to be “form villages” or “farm villages” or “are from villages”?  (Again, apologies for the extreme pickiness.)

Page 222: Another picky one – sorry!  In the description of the Great Obelisks it says: “Whether the pillars are hollow or not remains a matter of conjecture; if not, these structures could conceivably harbour beings of otherworldly origins.”  Shouldn’t that be “if so, these structures could conceivably harbour beings of otherworldly origins”?  They have to be hollow for aliens to live in them, right?  Or maybe I’m just misunderstanding.

And that’s all I have to say about that.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

1/02/2015 8:09 am  #19

All very good catches, BA23. Repeating text are the most annoying ones, because in most of these instances, I believe there was some kind of mishap with changes accepted in MS-Word that for some reason did not eliminate the original text. All fixable!

"From" should be "form" on p. 195.

"Not" should indeed be "so" on p. 222.

Thanks!

2/05/2015 6:50 pm  #20

In the PDF of the Players Manual, the bookmark for Movement goes to Combat Movement (p. 213) instead of Movement (p. 200). Can I blame DMP for this one?

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.