!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/21/2014 9:20 am  #1

So, you want to hire an adventuring cleric...

So, your party's having a beer in Khromarium's Spiral Hell Inn and Tavern. You want to hire a cleric to help explore the Xavadar crypt where you tangled with some Thaumagorgan devotees. Last time when you took a Xathoqquan cleric, you brought back a dead body, but the receiving priests didn't seem too upset. Pick one of these and say why! Now, you might think "X does not have a big public temple in town," but I would create an opening through a thieves guild contact or something, so don't worry about that.

Xathoqqua (3)
Tlakk-Nakka
Ktulu
Mordezzan
Apollo
Other (say)

I'll tally the results as we go.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

9/21/2014 10:07 am  #2

Re: So, you want to hire an adventuring cleric...

I think it depends on the (general) alignment of the party and location of the home base town/city. In general, I'd say Xathoqqua due to the prevalence of the religion.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

9/21/2014 12:37 pm  #3

It seems like a cosmopolitan city like Khromarium might have a priest of any religion, even if it's just an itinerant monk or lone madman.  So why not roll to determine which one?

(d4, d6)  Random Divinity
1, 1        Apollo
1, 2        Artemis
1, 3        Aurorus
1, 4        Azathoth
1, 5        Boreas
1, 6        Helios
2, 1        Kraken
2, 2        Krimmr
2, 3        Kthulhu
2, 4        Lunaqqua
2, 5        Mordezzan
2, 6        Rel
3, 1        Thaumagorga
3, 2        Tlakk-Nakka
3, 3        Ullr
3, 4        Xathoqqua
3, 5        Yig
3, 6        Yikkorth
4, 1        Ymir
4, 2        Yoon'Deh
4, 3        Ythaqqa
4, 4        Yug
4, 5        Other (Jove, Nyarlathotep, the Green Man, Buddha, Xemu, etc.)
4, 6        Small local god or venerated ancestor

(If you don't want to roll, my vote would be for Xathoqqua or possibly Mordezzan, since a tomb is being raided.  But I would have the priest of Mordezzan make trouble somehow.)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

9/21/2014 12:59 pm  #4

Fun! I will use this method going forward: you can either approach a particular temple directly (if you know where it is), in which case you may pay more, have to perform a special service or draw their ire if something goes wrong, or you can hire from an Inn, in which case I roll on this table...

"Why yes, I do worship Apollo and am very trustworthy."

9/23/2014 8:06 am  #5

I would go Xath in the initial setup--or at least think my players would. They would expect a cleric of Apollo to cramp their (depraved, greedy, terrifying) style but would be nervous a cleric of Azathoth, Mordezzan, or Kthulhu would beat them at their own game!

9/23/2014 8:19 am  #6

Thanks guys! They went with another Xathoqquan cleric (1,000 gp cost). I decided that a low reaction roll of 1-4 (on 2d6) would mean that the guy they hired (Nalsai) knew the guy who came back dead last time (Sarros) and would be plotting to betray the party at worst possible time ("This is for Sarros, fools!"), but I rolled a 7, so it didn't pan out. Man, I was so excited.

Still, we had some close calls and lucky rolls and enjoyed the evening. I'll post a formal summary of Session 4 within the next few days.

9/23/2014 5:00 pm  #7

Chainsaw wrote:

I'll post a formal summary of Session 4 within the next few days.

Looking forward to it!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.