!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/13/2014 5:17 pm  #1

New Masthead for AS&SH (Adventures + Game)

Fellows,

I've thought long and hard about a new masthead logo for the game and also for use on all future adventures. In the past, I've used the title of the adventure for the masthead with "For Use with Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea" somewhere else on the cover. But what I want now is a stronger masthead that showcases the word HYPERBOREA and deemphasizes the other words. I want this masthead to carry over onto all products, for stronger branding. This is not groundbreaking -- it's very commonplace, but it's not something I've done in the past. So, I present to you this TEST MASTHEAD. This is only a test, but it is actually really close to what I want; thus, it may well be not just a test, but the answer:

Of course, I will be able to change masthead colors at any time, depending on colors of the each book's cover. You will no doubt note there are some other stylistic shifts -- no ampersand and the addition of the word "THE".

Well, I hope you like it, but I'm not fishing for a pat on the back. Feel free to express your opinions, fellows. I personally feel it conveys a stronger, pulpier message and will do more to promote the game and especially its setting.

Cheers,
Jeff T

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

9/13/2014 5:36 pm  #2

Re: New Masthead for AS&SH (Adventures + Game)

I really like it! The only suggestion I could make is maybe the top line could have some movement,  like a slight curve over Hyperborea.

9/13/2014 5:37 pm  #3

Will wrote:

I really like it! The only suggestion I could make is maybe the top line could have some movement, like a slight curve over Hyperborea.

Thanks, Will! Do you mean a sort of arching of the top line? I'm trying to imagine what you're suggesting . . .

9/13/2014 5:58 pm  #4

Yeah, like a rainbow effect, but not super pronounced. Sorry to be obscure.

9/13/2014 6:20 pm  #5

Just slapped it on Val's cover for Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess, just to see. The proportions aren't right, but it gives you an idea of what I'm going for:

9/13/2014 8:26 pm  #6

I like it. The top line needs to be boxed in white to avoid a cluttered look.  Hyperborea stands out nicely due to the thickness of the lettering.  That is, when placed on the artwork.

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

9/13/2014 8:31 pm  #7

Is it my imagination or did you lighten the red when you placed it on the artwork?  It looks brighter.  I prefer the brighter red.  Have you tried other color combos like grey and red vs white and red.  Or maybe a frigid white or blue white outlined in black?

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

9/14/2014 7:04 am  #8

Hello fellows,

Slapping that logo on Val's art was just a quick experiment to give a general idea of how the masthead will place. In actual execution for products, the masthead might be framed in so as to not looks so cluttered by the background; similarly, a fade of the background imagery can help to make the masthead pop more.

Lastly, the colors of the masthead can be altered from red to blue to yellow -- or whatever, including the outline -- to what works best with each cover. Meaning, I intend to vary it up on a case by case basis.

I'm going to continue to tinker with it, but I figured I'd share it here with you fine fellows. Feedback is always appreciated.

Cheers,
Jeff T.

9/14/2014 8:24 am  #9

Here is another test, this time with the letters of the word HYPERBOREA in the masthead less staggered (up and down) from one another:

9/14/2014 8:46 am  #10

I think I prefer the latter, as I think the less offset letters flow better and are easier to read. Having said that, I do like having a little offset and the jagged lettering. I think it conveys a wilder, more savage, more dangerous feel to the world than the original. Just my two cents. 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

9/14/2014 9:45 am  #11

Yeah, I think it's a subtle improvement, thank you. You nailed it with the "more savage, more dangerous feel" comment. That's exactly what I'm looking for. 

9/14/2014 11:10 am  #12

Very pulpy! 
I think the colors are all nice; as you say, the exact color used should depend on the overall look of the cover.  I also agree that the last version "reads" better.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (9/14/2014 11:11 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

9/14/2014 12:05 pm  #13

I like the less staggered version quite a bit. The boldness and jagged edges really stand out, I dig it. Have you tried giving it a curve at all?

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

9/14/2014 1:59 pm  #14

I haven't tried giving it a curve, but I might give it a shot. It's not something I'm terribly interested in, because for this particular design, I like the blockiness of the look and all the angles, too. One thing I have done that improves on it is removing the huge TM and replacing it with a smaller, less obtrusive symbol.

9/14/2014 5:37 pm  #15

Just my personal opinion but maybe just giving a slight angle to the top line?

9/14/2014 7:51 pm  #16

WIthout getting too analytical, I can say that I dig it. It leaves a good first impression.

9/14/2014 8:31 pm  #17

k2h2m3 wrote:

Just my personal opinion but maybe just giving a slight angle to the top line?

Thanks for all the kind words and feedback, fellows. This one captured my interest, so I gave it a shot and it looks pretty good. This is only a 5-degree pitch, but it seems to flow better. I have made several other minor tweaks since yesterday. Here is what I've got tonight:

9/14/2014 8:40 pm  #18

And here it is a little more brawny and bold:

9/14/2014 9:13 pm  #19

Looks good!

Personally I would not recommend curving the small text.  I think it provides a better contrast to the jagged large text as a straight line.

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

9/15/2014 8:04 am  #20

Looks good!

Ghul, as far as I know, carrying the "TM" in your display copy really has no legal meaning--either the work is trademarked or it isn't, and using TM doesn't affect that one way or another. I'm no lawyer, but I'm an editor, and that's our practice, at least. Would it be possible to drop the "TM" from the copy? Conan cares not for legal disclaimers!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.