!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2014 7:54 am  #1

NTRPG Con VI (2014)

So, we have the North Texas RPG Convention coming up - June 5-8, 2014. I have been to several and always had a great time, so if you can make it, I would highly recommend the trip. Jeff promoted and ran AS&SH there in 2013 and plans to do so again this year. Hope to see you there!

Event registration is April 15, 2014 at 1AM EST (12AM CST). Yes, middle of the night! All the details can be found here.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/11/2014 8:00 am  #2

Re: NTRPG Con VI (2014)

I wish I could!  I will be running two games  of ASSH at Origins (11-16th) in Columbus.  Initiating the masses in a new territory!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/11/2014 8:06 am  #3

Cool, Morgan. You'll do us proud, no question. Your game is top notch!

4/11/2014 10:48 am  #4

I mentioned to Ms. Haversack that there was a gaming convention in Dallas on our fifteenth anniversary. It turns out I will not be attending!

Have a great time. Next year in Lake Geneva!

4/11/2014 3:56 pm  #5

Chainsaw wrote:

So, we have the North Texas RPG Convention coming up - June 5-8, 2014. I have been to several and always had a great time, so if you can make it, I would highly recommend the trip. Jeff promoted and ran AS&SH there in 2013 and plans to do so again this year. Hope to see you there!

Event registration is April 15, 2014 at 1AM EST (12AM CST). Yes, middle of the night! All the details can be found here.

Shooting for lucky #7. Haven't been there since the first one. Best convention I've ever been to.

4/11/2014 4:21 pm  #6

@Handy: Haha! Yeah, I can imagine that would be a pretty tough sell.

@Jason: Too bad - I hope next year works out.

Anyway, I'm thinking:
Thurs evening: Dark Tower - Tacojohn4547 (AD&D)

Friday morning: Mythrus Tower -  Mythmere (S&W/OD&D)
Friday night: Tomb of the Sea Kings - ANGRY WIZARD (OD&D)

Sat morning: Outdoor Survival/OD&D - austinjimm
Sat night: K&KA Fiendish Funhouse - rotating DMs of austinjimm, Ghul, capitalbill, Tacojohn4547, Chainsaw (AD&D)

4/11/2014 11:59 pm  #7

Man, make sure to tell us how Dark Tower goes. I could use some advice with that one. I have an AD&D campaign that stalled out there. I'm sure it's my fault, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

Sounds like a great time. Watch out for this Ghul fellow on Sat. night, though. He sounds twisted.

4/19/2014 1:29 pm  #8

Handy Haversack wrote:

Man, make sure to tell us how Dark Tower goes. I could use some advice with that one. I have an AD&D campaign that stalled out there. I'm sure it's my fault, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

You should ping Jon on DF or Facebook, Handy---I'm sure he'd be happy to share his evil wisdom gained from years of mangling PCs in Jaquays dungeons with you :D

Last edited by grodog (4/19/2014 1:34 pm)

6/07/2014 11:41 am  #9

Greetings, and what news of Texas/Hyperborea?

I filled my palace with deadly traps so trap admirers will come and visit me

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

6/08/2014 8:27 pm  #10

If anybody snagged an extra AFS 1-4 bundle to resell, let me know.

6/09/2014 8:17 am  #11

Scalydemon wrote:

Greetings, and what news of Texas/Hyperborea?

Hey man! I will post some things this evening - thanks for the bump.

6/10/2014 2:20 pm  #12

Ahem. Don't make me tap my foot impatiently, Chainsaw!

6/11/2014 9:44 pm  #13

So, had a great time at NTRPG Con, as usual. Great convention - definitely give it a shot if you can. I missed tacojohn's Thursday night AD&D game that Ghul, capitalbill and a few others played, as work caused me to arrive late.

Next morning, I played in Mythmere's Mythrus Tower game. That's pretty much a must-do event if you ever attend NTRPG Con. No one can manage a table of 12+ people as well as Myth. Somehow, the game moves quickly and stays fun! We nearly died fighting some ghouls down on level four and then my guy (Frosty Coldmug the dwarf) was stoned by a basilisk, along with 3-4 other people. I think the rest of the party made it down to level five, but I don't know what happened exactly. I headed back to my room to finish some pregens for Saturday night's K&KA social. The lower pic shows Myth refereeing from a chair.

That evening I played in ANGRYWIZARD and austinjimm's Tomb of the Sea Kings OD&D adventure, along with Mythmere and capitalbill. Again, a good time. My guy was The Skull, a chaotic fighter. Our mission was something about recovering something from the Tomb of the Sea Kings, but I can't remember what it was exactly. Wait, a black sword, I think? I can't remember. Anyway, we had fun exploring and eventually wound up controlling a genie and fighting a vampire. The vampire went OK until he charmed The Skull and another party member, both of whom then attacked the party. We were pretty beaten up, but lived and went back to town to rest, thinking we'd go back the next day. Well, the guy who gave us the mission was pissed, so he called in this swarm of flying monkeys to attack us. I think just about everyone died. LoL! I laughed more during that game than anyone I can think of in recent memory. Plus, they handed out a free copy of their module afterward. Good times.

ANGRYWIZARD, capitalbill, Mythmere, austinjimm

Saturday night was the K&KA game, which we called the Fiendish Funhouse Dungeon. The premise of this event is that we'd rotate through several referee's running killer dungeons and laugh as guys got picked off left and right. We rotated through Ghul, me and tacojohn with anywhere from 10-12 players at the table. Apparently the beer smell from our room was so strong that the hotel received complaints and we had to close the door! 8)

So, Ghul went first, starting us deep underground, hauling ass from Jubilex the towering conical slime and toward the Chasm of the Faceless Lord. Cimmerian's fighter pregen had a Sword of Sharpness, which we thought might be unbalancing, but when we were running across a bridge over the chasm (about 30 seconds in, Jubilex hot on our heels), he fell off into a lake of bubbling yellow liquid below and died instantly. So much for that!  :lol:

On the other side of the bridge, we found an evil altar to Jubilex (where grodog and balrog62 died horrible deaths when they looked behind a tapestry and released poison spores), took out some slime worshippers (chanting around a giant cauldron nearby), and then left the chasm area (using a key we found on the lead slime hag whom someone charmed). Plus, Jeff gave out a free copy of his adventure to everyone, which was awesome! Victory!

Standing, ghul: moving right along top, then looping around: austinjimm, his friend Keith, grodog, guy named Josh, Cimmerian, tacojohn, guy named Dwayne, balrog62, me.

"capitalbill" wrote:

When I took over, the group emerged into a room with walls almost competely covered with rotten corpses (all spiked in) and three exits (E, S, W). Failing to lift the portcullis bars blocking the east opening, they went south (inscription above door arch was "ACH" over an eagle relief) instead of west (inscription above the arch "Ride the Lightning"). They wound up in a large cavern, sandwiched between Nazi zombies with laser rifles that rose up out of a murky lake and a tank golem (head fashioned like an eagle, cannons for arms - you know the sort). Josh went down quickly from laser blasts, but Ghul mostly finished off the zombies with a fireball, then webbed the golem (after austinjimm's barbarian failed to grapple it), which they all promptly destroyed (treasure: life-sized golden eagle). Exploring further, they found a chasm, but were scared away by giant insect-men flying up out of the chasm's dark depths (I might have made a joke about how funny it would be if people got carry off) and ran back to the bodies room, where they used a knock spell on the portcullis and opened up an exit to tacojohn's dungeon.

Standing, me; moving right along the top, then looping around bottom: austinjimm, Keith, grodog, Flambeaux, tacojohn's head, Dwayne, balrog62, Ghul.

"capitalbill" wrote:

Top left, moving right and looping around: Keith, grodog, Flambeaux, guy named Josh, Is_907, guy named Steven, Cimmerian, tacojohn, Dwayne, balrog62, Ghul.

"capitalbill" wrote:

So, we found ourselves in tacojohn's dungeon next, in a passage opening into a circular room with a giant death-ish statue (initally hidden by a curtain), two braziers and a pool of water. austinjimm and I looked behind the curtain - his barbarian T-Rask was paralyzed and my ranger Aragron stricken with fear. The other guys found a hidden lever that drained the pool, alowing descent to a nee passage. From there found a room with a giant swimming pool. T-Rask removed his armor and jumped in for a swim, only to discover it was an illusion hiding a 40 foot drop into a room full of armored figures that began to attack. So, he was down there naked with his sword, battling for his life. The rest us attacked and eventually descended, nimbly running past any armored guys that hadn't been killed toward the next room. Tons of critical hits and fumbles as well, which was great - one guy had his knee cracked open and became immobilized. Anyway, by then it was 1AM and I went to bed (early flight). Really good time, good free beer brewed by austinjimm and lots of laughs! Success, I think!

Standing, tacojohn; from top, moving right and looping around bottom: austinjimm, Keith, ANGRYWIZARD, Flambeaux's arm, Dwayne's head, balrog62, Ghul, me.

"capitalbill" wrote:

6/12/2014 8:10 am  #14

Chainsaw wrote:

Apparently the beer smell from our room was so strong that the hotel received complaints and we had to close the door! 8)

Possibly the best gaming review ever.

Sounds like a total blast. I don't know if I'll ever make it to Texas for this, but it sounds like a great time.

6/12/2014 9:16 am  #15

Hey, thanks for the write up and the pics Chainsaw, looks like a good time

AFS magazine - pulp literature meets old school gaming http://hallsoftizunthane.blogspot.com/

6/12/2014 9:44 pm  #16

It was, it was. Hope you all can make it down sometime or over to Gary Con. They're both great.

6/12/2014 11:23 pm  #17

I went to NTX in I think it was 2010. Had alot of fun. The Steve Winter B/X game I played in was a highlight I recall among many good games.

I have a 18 mo old daughter now so things like that are tough to make for the time being, but as Macarthur said, I shall return..

6/14/2014 2:41 pm  #18

NTRPG Con 2010, eh? That was the first convention I ever attended. Had a great time, met a lot of good people with whom I remain friends today. Sorry that I missed you there, Scott. As you said, maybe another time.

6/20/2014 11:56 pm  #19

Scalydemon wrote:

I went to NTX in I think it was 2010. Had alot of fun. The Steve Winter B/X game I played in was a highlight I recall among many good games.

Was that year we were fighting a giant of some sort, and trying to prevent him from going through a gate?  That might have been the next year  (I've only played twice with Steve---in the gate game, and then again this year in Boot Hill :D ).

Allan.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.