!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/24/2014 9:08 am  #1

Classy monsters

When do you all think HD should change for monsters that have classes? E.g., ape-men from Orcist can operate in the main classes. At what level should their HD start to go up. I also have the scorpioids of Xin, and basically all the females are either monk, witch, or illusionist. They also have a base 5 HD. I am kind of leaning toward letting them fight and cast at HD or class FA/CA, whichever is higher. Or does that seem too overpowered?

5/24/2014 9:29 am  #2

Re: Classy monsters

I think the HD should change when the class level exceeds the natural HD level. I would do this, too: They fight at HD or F (whichever is higher) and cast at CA straight up. So a HD 5 montster with CA 2 class ability will fight as HD 5 monster, cast at CA 2.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/24/2014 9:39 am  #3

If you use the snake-men in the rules as a model, they gain 1 HD for every level beyond first.  A 1st level snake-man necromancer has the standard 2+2 HD, while a 10th level one has 11+2.  I suppose other monsters with classes would work the same way.  So a 1st level scorpioid witch would have 5 HD and a 5th level one would have 9.  I personally would give a monster with a class all the benefits of their class at level (FA, CA, special abilities, etc.) and I would use their class level in place of any other metric.  Anyway, monsters with classes still use the monster attack table, right?  If so, the HD FA will always be the same as, or better than, the class FA.

EDIT: What Jeff said.

Last edited by Blackadder23 (5/24/2014 9:41 am)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

5/24/2014 9:55 am  #4

Ghul wrote:

I think the HD should change when the class level exceeds the natural HD level. I would do this, too: They fight at HD or F (whichever is higher) and cast at CA straight up. So a HD 5 montster with CA 2 class ability will fight as HD 5 monster, cast at CA 2.

That's how I also do it.
It was a major annoyance in 3rd ed. D&D that you always had to add HD if you wanted to have monstrous spellcasters.

"Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger. What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

Spriggan's Den

5/24/2014 10:34 am  #5

Blackadder23 wrote:

EDIT: What Jeff said.

Doesn't have to be that way, just because I wrote the game. There are bound to be countless gray areas in this open concept form (as opposed to the closed concept form of video games). 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.