!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2014 8:02 pm  #21

Re: Introduction Thread

Greetings! Dave Prata here, for those who don't already know me. I played my first one-on-one game of Holmes Basic c. 1982—I believe I fell in a pit and died—and I've been hooked on gaming ever since. I moved on to Moldvay/Cook B/X, then Mentzer's Companion set, before graduating to AD&D c. 1984. Like many, I was away from the game for most of my 20s (the 1990s), but I've been running a semi-regular Greyhawk campaign since 2002. Along the way I've also run/played Call of Cthulhu, Star Frontiers, Marvel Super Heroes, Champions, Rifts, and probably a few other games I'm missing.

Before Jeff and I ever met, our orbits crossed briefly in 2005–06 on Gary's Yggsburgh project. (I regrettably had to bow out of that at the time.) I also had the privilege of contributing to Len Lakofka's L4 Devilspawn. Later I was one of the early developers of Matt Finch and Stuart Marshall's OSRIC, which led to Jeff contacting me in 2010 about editing AS&SH™.

My son was born in 1997. Next to that, my work on this game is probably my proudest achievement. Thanks, Jeff. It's been an honour. Now let's start churning out some adventures!

3/03/2014 8:39 pm  #22

DMPrata wrote:

Greetings! Dave Prata here, for those who don't already know me. I played my first one-on-one game of Holmes Basic c. 1982—I believe I fell in a pit and died—and I've been hooked on gaming ever since. I moved on to Moldvay/Cook B/X, then Mentzer's Companion set, before graduating to AD&D c. 1984. Like many, I was away from the game for most of my 20s (the 1990s), but I've been running a semi-regular Greyhawk campaign since 2002. Along the way I've also run/played Call of Cthulhu, Star Frontiers, Marvel Super Heroes, Champions, Rifts, and probably a few other games I'm missing.

Before Jeff and I ever met, our orbits crossed briefly in 2005–06 on Gary's Yggsburgh project. (I regrettably had to bow out of that at the time.) I also had the privilege of contributing to Len Lakofka's L4 Devilspawn. Later I was one of the early developers of Matt Finch and Stuart Marshall's OSRIC, which led to Jeff contacting me in 2010 about editing AS&SH™.

My son was born in 1997. Next to that, my work on this game is probably my proudest achievement. Thanks, Jeff. It's been an honour. Now let's start churning out some adventures!

Fantastic, Dave. The honour has been all mine! Your . . . ahem . . . You're the finest editor I've ever worked with. Yes, time to get back to work! 

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

3/04/2014 3:14 pm  #23

Ghul wrote:

rhialto wrote:

Rhialto here. Started in '78 in high school with Holmes, then 1E AD&D, then RuneQuest, Dragonquest, CoC, Traveller, etc., etc. Dropped any form of D&D until 3E came out and played a quite enjoyable years-long campaign with it until we discovered high-level play was a headache. The rest of my group dabbled in 4E or moved on to Pathfinder while I tried to tweak the latter to be more S&S-like (inspired by the Xoth Publishing series of modules). Finally gave up and went back to a more familiar system (BRP/Stormbringer) until AS&SH came out then switched over to it for my Atlantean campaign. Now running AS&SH in my homebrew Atlantis, with tweaks from Akrasia's S&S house rules and additional magic rules & spells from the old Bard games Arcanum. Keeping S&S kid-friendly is a must, since we've got a newer generation of 8 - 11 year-olds just starting (and they, rightly IMO, just call it "D&D").

That's excellent. When you have the time, I'd love to see you share some more about your Atlantis campaign here, maybe at the "campaign" forum. I play D&D with my kids, too, but I just have them using B/X. Welcome aboard, Rhialto the Marvellous!  

Sure...when I have the time, nice one...
Seriously though, I will: just need to clean up my jumble of house rules, blatant plagiarisms for my own use (just too easy to copy-paste-deft-edit) and collection of random "I wonder if *this* would work" ramblings.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

3/04/2014 4:33 pm  #24

Greetings Hyperboreans! Joseph has arrived!
Great new forum Jeff!
Everything looks fine on my old DROID.

My quick intro: started with Mentzer Basic, moved over to AD&D just atheist tail end and played a 1E/2E mash-up for a long time. Played 3.0 for a few years when it came out and NEVER bought into 4E. Been playteeting 5E off and on for the past year as well. Other games I have experience with include Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel Heroic RPG, Star Wars d6 & Saga, Victorian, Call of Cthulhu, d20 Modern, Alternity, Palladium system (ack!), Star Frontiers and others that I am certainly forgetting....

Stumbled into the OSR, maybe two years ago and love it! AS&SH is easily at the top of my list, but Swords and Wizardry and Labyrinth Lord appeal to me too.

Last edited by joseph (3/04/2014 4:44 pm)

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

3/04/2014 4:56 pm  #25

Welcome, joseph!

3/05/2014 4:28 am  #26

rredmond wrote:

Hey Ynas!
Don't you have happy beer YouTubes? I think that's you.
Mmmmm, beer.
Well here's a pint in your honor!
Cheers,
--Ron--

Yeah, that's me. It's nice that you remember it, given how low quality sound they have (back then I didn't know a thing about it; I just wanted to make some music).

3/05/2014 8:32 am  #27

Hello everybody! I started probably '81 or '82 with the Basic Moldvay set and was hooked. My first adventure was with a thief in the Haunted Tower adventure in the back of the booklet and He was killed by the Crab Spider. Good times! Progressed through Basic, Expert and on into Companion before just beginning to touch on AD&D then grown up stuff got in the way. In 2006 or 2007 got back into it with 3rd Edition and had a blast all over again. Really like AS&SH and can't wait to get a game going-hopefully this year.

3/06/2014 3:07 pm  #28

Greetings - or rather "hello again" to many of you.  My name is Ben and I am a pulp fiction fan first and a gamer second (although it's a close second).  Not just the literary cream of the crop like HPL, Howard, and Smith, but also "trash" like the Shadow, Doc Savage, the Spider, Operator #5, and more - all great.  I started gaming in 1981 with the Moldvay set and AD&D.  I stopped buying TSR products when 2nd edition was released and have never bought anything from WOTC (and never will).

It is my firm conviction that AS&SH is the greatest ever version of "the traditional fantasy role-playing game".

Last edited by Blackadder23 (3/06/2014 3:09 pm)

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

3/06/2014 10:17 pm  #29

Hi, all,

Handy Haversack (Michael), from the exciting, fast-paced world of nonprofit academic publishing in NYC. They call it the widow maker.

I started with a B/X/AD&D mishmash in 1980 and have played mostly AD&D ever since. We've had a game running in NYC for eleven years now, with some CoC mixed in to keep us honest and terrified.

Running my first AS&SH game on Saturday. Can't wait! I already came up with a new way to burn a witch! I'm a lifelong leaner.

Last edited by Handy Haversack (3/06/2014 11:00 pm)

3/07/2014 6:25 am  #30

Welcome, Agricola, Blackadder23, and Handy Haversack. Great to see all these familiar faces in one place!

3/07/2014 7:04 am  #31

Handy Haversack wrote:

Hi, all,

Handy Haversack (Michael), from the exciting, fast-paced world of nonprofit academic publishing in NYC. They call it the widow maker.

I started with a B/X/AD&D mishmash in 1980 and have played mostly AD&D ever since. We've had a game running in NYC for eleven years now, with some CoC mixed in to keep us honest and terrified.

Running my first AS&SH game on Saturday. Can't wait! I already came up with a new way to burn a witch! I'm a lifelong leaner.

I for one would definately be interested in hearing how your first adventure goes on Saturday!  Is this witch a player or NPC?

Morgan

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

3/07/2014 9:21 am  #32

mabon5127 wrote:

I for one would definately be interested in hearing how your first adventure goes on Saturday!  Is this witch a player or NPC?

Morgan

I think only three of my players are coming over, so I figured I should roll up a couple of characters to have in reserve in case they need to round out the party--and so I'd be familiar with how rolling them up works in AS&SH. (Side note: The character sheet is really, really helpful. One of my players has spent years tinkering with an AD&D character sheet to get one we like, and it still ends up with things like debts recorded under religion and scars recorded under animal companions. Part of that is how my players roll, but still. And it would be no help for someone new to the game navigating character creation. But the AS&SH sheet is a great guide. I was done when I had something in all parts of it! Really nicely designed.)

So I rolled up a the witch (she's a red-haired Pict named Verctissa, I think; that AS&SH name generator is awesome). And a ranger. And a magician. We'll see what the players come up with, and then if (heh) there are any early deaths, one of them can take a character on as a PC if s/he wants to. I know one of my players already rolled up a shaman. I just have this vision of their finishing with character creation and realizing no one has a fighter.

And, yes, we will report back with how it goes!

3/07/2014 9:18 pm  #33

Sounds fantastic, Handy! I want to play in this game. If you don't mind, I'd rather see this post in the "campaign" sub-forum. That OK with you?

3/07/2014 11:10 pm  #34

Kevin here, most people call me Morty

I've been gaming since the early 80's. I'm mostly into Castles and Crusades these days, but I really enjoy ASSH.

I met Ian and Jeff up at Garycon a few years back and I enjoy the opprotunity to hang out each year.

Professionally, I'm a special ed teacher in the Chicagoland area.

Besides gaming, I like to draw, write stories, follow the Bears, Hawks and Sox.

If your ever up at Garycon, I'm the guy with the blue Dodge Challenger- please don't key it, even if you think I'm a douche. I'd rather you just punched my in the face.

Other than that, I'd be happy to share a Guiness and roll some dice up in Gary's Happy Hunting Grounds (Lake Geneva)

Peace, Morty

A Room Zoom Zoom. A Room Zoom Zoom. Gilly Gilly Gilly Gilly Ot Zat Za Come open the magic door with me, With your imagination there's so much we can see. There is a doorway that leads to a place. I'll find my way by the smile on your 

3/08/2014 12:19 am  #35

Ghul wrote:

Sounds fantastic, Handy! I want to play in this game. If you don't mind, I'd rather see this post in the "campaign" sub-forum. That OK with you?

Totally. Wasn't sure what would be more appropriate. Copied. Deleted!

Last edited by Handy Haversack (3/08/2014 12:21 am)

3/08/2014 2:26 pm  #36

Hi everyone.  My name is Al- have been playing since the early 80's and playing AD&D at the moment. 

3/08/2014 2:32 pm  #37

Welcome, Morty and Kookla! Morty, will you be at GC again this year?

3/08/2014 2:42 pm  #38

Thanks Ghul- I took advantage of the sale you have and ordered the box set and both modules yesterday.  Looking forward to getting them soon

3/08/2014 6:30 pm  #39

Ghul wrote:

I will indeed. Will the New Englanders and the Canuck be there?

Last edited by Morty (3/08/2014 6:31 pm)

A Room Zoom Zoom. A Room Zoom Zoom. Gilly Gilly Gilly Gilly Ot Zat Za Come open the magic door with me, With your imagination there's so much we can see. There is a doorway that leads to a place. I'll find my way by the smile on your 

3/08/2014 7:10 pm  #40

Morty wrote:

Ghul wrote:

I will indeed. Will the New Englanders and the Canuck be there?

The New Englanders will be there. Unless the Canuck has plans I don't know about, I don't think he'll be there this year. 

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.