!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2014 9:33 am  #21

Re: Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

finarvyn wrote:

NAJones wrote:

Having just dived into Lin Carter's Thongor/Lemuria stories for the first time, about a week ago, I have to say my interest is piqued. 

I'm not as impressed with Carter as I am with some of the others. Seems like he doesn't do ERB as well as ERB, and that he doesn't do Howard as well as Howard. I picked up a bunch of Carter's "World's End" books and found them to be less than inspiring for me, which is sad because they've been highly recommended to me by several folks whose opinions I otherwise value.

This has been the general sense of that I have received from a few people. Still, I intend to read at least one of Carter's Lemuria books... just to give it try and to have some idea of what he did with the lost continent.

Thanks for the comments and interest, Fin!

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

4/24/2014 9:41 am  #22

Thanks to everyone for your support. Jeff is currently going over the adventure module and setting material, afterwards there will be edits and probably a little re-writing to do, maps, art, etc., so we still have quite a bit of work to do!

4/24/2014 9:53 am  #23

joseph wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your support. Jeff is currently going over the adventure module and setting material, afterwards there will be edits and probably a little re-writing to do, maps, art, etc., so we still have quite a bit of work to do!

The background for "Lemuria" in the ruleset for Barbarians of Lemuria is a pretty neat setting.  You can download those for free here http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/barbarians-of-lemuria.  The author Simon Washbourne was a fan of Carter's world and used it to influence his game setting.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/24/2014 10:18 am  #24

Mabon7, thanks for the link. I went and downloaded the pdf and browsed the Introduction. It seems familiar to what I have seen on the web concerning Carter's Lemuria, I'll have to give it a proper read. I like some of Simon Washbourne's other rpg works.

4/24/2014 12:02 pm  #25

joseph wrote:

I have yet to read the Carter series, though I did read a bit about it on the web. You'll have to let me know what you think of the series!

So far pretty ho-hum. I'm having a very hard time getting into The Wizard of Lemuria so far. It probably doesn't help that I'm re-reading Moorcock's Corum novels again at the same time and I'm much more apt to put that in my hand when I have the spare time for reading.

5/07/2014 10:09 am  #26

I continue to enjoy combing through all the details of this mini-setting and accompanying adventure. I can say with utmost delight that The Lemurian Remnant will be for AS&SH what Oriental Adventures is for AD&D -- except in a more gritty, sword-and-sorcery style, and with writing more terse and to the point. Fantastic work, Joseph!

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

5/07/2014 12:22 pm  #27

Thanks Jeff! As I mentioned elsewhere on the boards, I have an academic background in east Asia (primarily Japan) and have long been a fan of Oriental Adventures. Many memorable tales sprung out of that book and onto our game table. Lemuria is very much my attempt to insert Asian-flavor into Hyperborea. Happy to hear you are enjoying the material!

5/19/2014 11:35 pm  #28

Definitely looking forward to hearing more (and perhaps playing some at GaryCon next year? :D ).

Allan.

5/20/2014 2:52 pm  #29

Thanks grodog! I have been considering that very possibility but its far to early to say one way or the other yet. I would certainly like to meet you guys and get some games in!

6/30/2014 10:05 am  #30

Ghul wrote:

I continue to enjoy combing through all the details of this mini-setting and accompanying adventure. I can say with utmost delight that The Lemurian Remnant will be for AS&SH what Oriental Adventures is for AD&D -- except in a more gritty, sword-and-sorcery style, and with writing more terse and to the point. Fantastic work, Joseph!

That absolutely makes me want to check it out! I mean, I was already sold because I was toying with Lemuria in my campaign, and with the Hobby Shop Dungeon, but that basically double-sells me on it! Can't wait to play with this!

8/14/2014 9:08 pm  #31

I have changed the name of this thread to "Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess", because that is what this product will be officially named -- but it still features the micro-setting called The Lemurian Remnant.

In other news we've brought in Val Semeiks as the cover artist for Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess. Val is a well-respected comic book artist who's done work for dozens of titles, including Conan the Barbarian, Savage Sword of Conan, Silver Surfer, JLA, Wolverine, and dozens more.

Val's website: www.valsemeiks.com
Val's portfolio: www.valsemeiks.com/portfolio.html

And for your viewing pleasure, here are a few of his more recent Conan commissions, reimagined covers of his earlier works.

8/15/2014 12:48 pm  #32

This is looking so awesome

8/31/2014 8:42 am  #33

Here is the Val Semeiks pencil sketch for the cover of Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess:

Here is the Val Semeiks pencil sketch for the cover of Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess:

Val is working on the inks as we speak.

He is working on the inks now.

Last edited by Ghul (8/31/2014 3:27 pm)

8/31/2014 8:52 am  #34

Nice!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

8/31/2014 9:16 am  #35

Looks good - mysterious place to explore looming in the background, imminent danger in the foreground! 

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

8/31/2014 12:36 pm  #36

Fantastic!

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

8/31/2014 1:39 pm  #37

Very nice!

Can't wait to purchase this, although I have a feeling it might be stuck in my quarantined can't read pile for a little while after purchase.

8/31/2014 2:05 pm  #38

capitalbill wrote:

Can't wait to purchase this, although I have a feeling it might be stuck in my quarantined can't read pile for a little while after purchase.

Up to you, Bill. If you want to read it and I think it fits our game, I'm happy to run it as an already-plundered tomb and shuffle up the monsters and traps, just as I am doing with the Charnel Crypt. You won't know what of your knowledge to trust and what to ignore.

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

8/31/2014 3:32 pm  #39

There are some great setting elements at work here -- the mage at the back of the bridge is an Ixian, the woman might be a Kelt, the tall guy is Hyperborean, and the big guy at the point is Kimmerian. Melting pot adventuring party -- S&S style. ;)

8/31/2014 8:45 pm  #40

Ghul wrote:

There are some great setting elements at work here -- the mage at the back of the bridge is an Ixian, the woman might be a Kelt, the tall guy is Hyperborean, and the big guy at the point is Kimmerian. Melting pot adventuring party -- S&S style. ;)

I'm really liking this cover; still true to fantasy gaming but slightly skewed to swords & sorcery: ziggurat/pyramid/temple in place of a dungeon below a castle, dinosaur in place of a dragon, and a S&S adventuring troupe in place of a standard D&D party. 

Chainsaw wrote:

Up to you, Bill. If you want to read it and I think it fits our game, I'm happy to run it as an already-plundered tomb and shuffle up the monsters and traps, just as I am doing with the Charnel Crypt. You won't know what of your knowledge to trust and what to ignore.

Nah, I'll let you read it and let me know if you're using it. Although with my faulty memory I don't think you need to change anything- you could be running Charnel Crypt straight from the module and I still wouldn't be able to recall any knowledge to trust.

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.