!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2014 7:37 pm  #21

Re: Karl Edward Wagner

OK! Books on the way:

KEW:
Darkness Weaves
Dark Crusade
Year's Best Horror Stories VIII
Bloodstone

Also, some HPL, CAS, Lumley, Machen, Sheckley, Ballard. And a COC HPL's Dreamlands signed by Perren because I couldn't resist and, hey, combined shipping.

4/05/2014 8:02 pm  #22

Sounds like you have quite a treasure trove coming, HH. Enjoy it!

Blackadder23: Insanely long villain soliloquy, then "Your action?"
BORGO'S PLAYER: I shoot him in the face

4/05/2014 8:05 pm  #23

Chainsaw wrote:

Sounds like you have quite a treasure trove coming, HH. Enjoy it!

It was time to fill the sack, if you know what I mean.

4/10/2014 11:57 am  #24

Package just arrived with
Joshi, ed. / The Terror: The Best Weird Tales of Arthur Machen, vol. 3
Lovecraft/ Lurker at the Threshold (Beagle Horror)
Lumley/ The Burrowers Beneath (DAW)
Wagner/ Darkness Weaves
Wagner, ed. / The Year's Best Horror Stories VIII (DAW)
Wagner / Dark Crusade

4/21/2014 9:11 am  #25

Picked up The Blood Stone by Wagner.  So far its a great read.  Thanks to the Thread for that pick!

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

4/23/2014 8:42 pm  #26

I have always loved Kane, have all six books on my phone to read whenever.

Aaron

4/24/2014 6:35 am  #27

I hope at some point there is a reasonably priced collection of all the books. For now, I'm left with Dark Crusade and Bloodstone, both of which I've enjoyed thoroughly. The fortunate part is that I've still got some great fiction to read.

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

4/24/2014 8:04 am  #28

Ghul wrote:

I hope at some point there is a reasonably priced collection of all the books. For now, I'm left with Dark Crusade and Bloodstone, both of which I've enjoyed thoroughly. The fortunate part is that I've still got some great fiction to read.

For a time you could get some printing of the paperbacks at a reasonable price on ebay, though Death Angel's Shadow (an anthology of short stories) was hard to come by (as well as his non-Kane anthologies). Darkness Weaves had a large enough print run to be fairly cheap for a longwhile so you might still be able to pick it up at reasonable. His collections should not be out of print (although they are).

Last edited by JasonZavoda (4/24/2014 8:04 am)

4/24/2014 10:04 am  #29

Chainsaw wrote:

I shouldn't be laughing, but I am. Damn you Wagner!

I'm just catching up on this thread and have to say that, I wasn't laughing after reading the passage....just grinning evilly. We apparently all have the same problem! Lol

I have a few books by Wagner but have not had the chance to read them... and now they're buried in my storage shed somewhere. Thanks to this thread, I'm really looking forward to getting to those in the future.

ravengodgames.blogspot.com ~ cartography, writing, game design
Author, Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess

4/24/2014 12:15 pm  #30

I've been tempted to pull the trigger on the Kane anthologies on Amazon, but jeebus they are expensive. Has anybody found these cheaper anywhere?

4/24/2014 3:04 pm  #31

NAJones wrote:

I've been tempted to pull the trigger on the Kane anthologies on Amazon, but jeebus they are expensive. Has anybody found these cheaper anywhere?

At the very least you should be able to get the paperbacks of the three novels cheaper than the hardcover compilation. Not sure what the complete run anthology in paperback would run.

4/24/2014 3:38 pm  #32

Yeah, that's probably the route I'll take. I noticed there are five volumes of Kane stories. I presume two of them are short story compilations?

4/24/2014 5:10 pm  #33

I picked up four for under $10 a piece recently off Ebay. This search shows Bloodstone for $4+3, Dark Crusade for $5+6, Nightwinds $8+3.

4/28/2014 8:42 am  #34

I recently discovered this remembrance of KEW by Jessica Salmonson:

http://www.violetbooks.com/wagner.html

A very well done, heart-felt remembrance.

11/15/2014 7:39 pm  #35

Well, I have to thank Druvas for his mention of Hole in the Wall Books: my wife and I were in Arlington for a day & night away, and she got sick so I made my way to HitW (after seeing to it that she was cozy and warm in the hotel...) today for the first time. Quite wonderful to wander around its semi-chaos. I was on my way out when I found this, for $10. I have all the Kane novels in paperback, so this was a nice surprise, since my want list had come up empty. Then I look up the volume on Amazon when I show my wife, and her comment was "You should sell it!" Yeah, no.

"It is all very well to point out that the man lacks facility; as he asserts, sheer force can overpower sophistication."
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

11/15/2014 8:08 pm  #36

Nice find! Man!

Let me know how you like the stories. 😀

11/15/2014 9:55 pm  #37

Wow, what a lucky find! Great stuff.

11/17/2014 10:04 am  #38

I've been re-immersing myself in the Fantasy and S&S genres (old and new authors and titles).  The Pathefinder novels by Robin Laws and Dave Gross have been quite good.  That said, I read a couple of the newer books, then (re)read one of the Kain novels to sort of reset my palette.  I've read many of the old guard.  Nobody did it as well as Mr. Wagner did.  We are fortunate he wrote.  Thank the gods!

Last edited by ThornPlutonius (11/17/2014 10:05 am)

11/17/2014 7:41 pm  #39

ThornPlutonius wrote:

That said, I read a couple of the newer books, then (re)read one of the Kain novels to sort of reset my palette.  I've read many of the old guard.  Nobody did it as well as Mr. Wagner did.  We are fortunate he wrote.  Thank the gods!

You're preaching to the choir, man.

Any particular stories that stand out?

11/19/2014 2:32 pm  #40

Two of the stories (not novels) that stand out in my memory are "Reflections for the Winter of My Soul" and "Raven's Eyrie" (both from The Book of Kain, each in other anthoogies, too.).  Bloodstone was the first of the Kane novels that I read.  Enjoyed how it presented Kain.  Darkness Weaves is the most recent novel.  Dark Crusade is up next.  Will also reread the Conan novel that he wrote back in the day.  I wish the two hardcover anthologies of all of his Kain novels and short stories were still in print or not so bloody expensive now.

Last edited by ThornPlutonius (11/19/2014 2:32 pm)

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.