!!insidediv!!

Being the Official Discussion Forum for HYPERBOREA®, a role-playing game of swords, sorcery, and weird science-fantasy

Visit us at the HYPERBOREA web site!

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/03/2019 12:18 pm  #1

Evil GM, foolhardy players, and fates worse than death

I might have made a mistake in running an adventure meant for 5th level players for my group which is a mix of 1st-3rd level characters. I lowered some of the monsters HD (but left the boss villains alone) and # of attacks to not make it totally ridiculous, but I was hoping that the players might use more caution and be less likely to run into combat if they were outclassed.

I should have known better.

So I’ve killed two PCs and dropped three more into negatives. One PC is left standing and trying to escape on his own. The adventure has a way to raise dead and heal the badly wounded, and the surviving PC started that process before retreating. That means the bad guys will find a bunch of recuperating PCs.

I’m thinking of directions I can take them instead of execution, since they have a few months investment in these characters and I threw them into a hard scenario. Also, I look at this as an opportunity to beat these characters down and see who rises up. I’d love to open this up for some Gygaxian democracy and brainstorm some ideas. The big bads are Mi-go, if that helps.

Last edited by mordegast (7/03/2019 12:19 pm)

7/03/2019 12:41 pm  #2

Re: Evil GM, foolhardy players, and fates worse than death

Have the mi-go conscript them into performing some inscrutable and unpleasant task. Maybe retrieving some bizarre and seemingly valueless object.

Or the mi-go could just let them go. Who knows why aliens do anything?

Michael Sipe 1979-2018
Rest in peace, brother.

7/03/2019 2:34 pm  #3

Blackadder23 wrote:

Or the mi-go could just let them go. Who knows why aliens do anything?

What does that say if the Mi-go don't want to harvest their heads.......

I do like the idea of an implanted geas ( some disease with a time limit) to send the players on a quest, perhaps harvesting the head of some noble in Khromarium. This would allow them to get in all kinds of trouble.

“How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?” 

7/04/2019 8:00 am  #4

The gods are watching and grant a favour to the fallen (instant raised), but it might cost them their eternal souls? Sent to guard hell's gates or something equally torturous (be cruel).

For the wounded, they live (instantly healed), but a loved one else-where dies; from death, there must be death, 'Men in Black III'

7/10/2019 12:33 pm  #5

We reconvened last night, and the mi-go made short work of the conscious PCs. I described to the players how they have flashes of memory of strange vistas, bright white rooms, and a constant buzzing sound. Then they find themselves sitting around a jungle camp just outside the crypt of an ancient Hyperborean warlord, a strange metallic taste lingering on their tongues.

I used a dungeon from “The Treasure Vaults of Zadabad.” The mi-go, impressed with the capabilities of the PCs compared with their Oon slaves, decided to use them to recover powerful hyper-geometric artifacts. I didn’t explain any of that to the players, so they’re freaked out having had their butts kicked and then immediately finding themselves outside the crypt.

7/17/2019 12:43 pm  #6

Woot! Time for the d20 Alien Abduction Effects Table:
1. A recently healed scar in an ominous location.
2. Develop a strange affinity for a bodily fluid (GM choice).  Must taste at least once per day.
3. One eye can see 60’ in pitch blackness, but must be covered by a patch during daytime otherwise effected by Confusion.
4. Convinced of the absence of a limb that never existed.
5. Can only sleep in a well-lit room.  Affected as if by Scare if not.
6. A random tooth has been replaced by a semi-precious gem.
7. Bizarre geometrical tattoo, glows at night.
8.  A metal tube protrudes from the chest.  A black ichor drips from it.
9.  Dogs within 100’ whine and slink away cowering.
10. Has appetite for only one substance/food.  Vomits up all else.
11. Has grown an extra finger/toe.
12. Loss of all hair
13. Mute during hours of darkness, only whispers during the day.
14. Lays an egg every day.
15. Ears constantly ring.
16. Heart has been replaced by a metal pump.  It clangs and shudders, but increase CON by 1.
17. Hand replaced by a grasping claw made of a flexible silver metal. Can still feel heat/cold, touch, and pain.
18. Develop an acrid body odor.  Sweat rots leather and clothing.
19. Pupils of eye are slitted like a cat.
20. Part of body is shaved, and hair will not grow back.

Last edited by Hackhamster (7/17/2019 12:47 pm)

"AS&SH feels like late 70’s fantasy roleplaying from a parallel dimension where Frodo was unceremoniously slain by Conan." - rpg.net review

7/17/2019 1:38 pm  #7

Some of those are just pure EVIL, Hack. Bravo! 

Last edited by Ghul (7/17/2019 1:39 pm)

HYPERBOREA- A Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Science-Fantasy

7/18/2019 1:48 pm  #8

Hackhamster wrote:

Woot! Time for the d20 Alien Abduction Effects Table:

Love it!

Board footera

© 2009-2024 North Wind Adventures, LLC. “HYPERBOREA” is a registered trademark of North Wind Adventures, LLC. “Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea,” “AS&SH,” and all other North Wind Adventures product names and their respective logos are trademarks of North Wind Adventures, LLC in the USA and other countries. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.